It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaps In U.S. Radiation Monitoring System Revealed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Gaps In U.S. Radiation Monitoring System Revealed

www.mercurynews.com

Part of the nation's key radiation warning system was out of service as the West Coast braced for possible exposure to the fallout from a nuclear crisis in Japan.

While no dangerous levels of radiation have reached American shores, the test of the monitoring network has spurred some lawmakers to question whether it can adequately safeguard the country against future disasters.

The system is crucial because federal officials use the monitors' readings to validate the impact of nuclear incidents, then alert local governments and the public.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related Above Top Secret Thread:
COVERUP AT EPA: Live Public DATA- Negligence or Incompetence?
edit on 26-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Well, how convenient is this?

What many of us suspected is now confirmed.

I know I read many posts here on ATS where we were calling into question that fact that many of the readings were dissapearing.

Guess we were right on then!

In California, home to two seaside nuclear plants located close to earthquake fault lines, federal officials said four of the 11 stationary monitors were offline for repairs or maintenance last week. The Environmental Protection Agency did not immediately say why the monitors were inoperable, but did not fix them until several days after low levels of radiation began drifting toward the mainland U.S.

About 20 monitors out of 124 nationwide were out of service earlier this week, including units in Harlingen, Tex. and Buffalo, N.Y. on Friday, according to the EPA.

Coincidence? Or Conspiracy?

Seriously, with all of the tax money these agencies reap...
how can they justify this breach of responsibility?

www.mercurynews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 26-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Oh boy and we will have to accept at face value when they say everything is alright, just keep shopping, working and buying. This is beyond unacceptable. And to think the plan for more unsafe facilities are on the table now.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
It is everything I already suspected and felt along with many others on here -really feel they want us to be prepared I am pretty certain not.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

We are nearly at that point where we must question everything they say, seemingly right or wrong.

This is beyond unreasonable, its beyond believable.

And this is for the people of Japan first and foremost, as many of us have been saying all along
that the readings are not right, they are sketchy from Japan as well.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Awesome reference chickadee, you see gise, I wasn't being paranoid AND even the mainstream media can admit it!!!
Great find! Love your avatar BTW

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by marriah3330

Mainstream news, this is some small outlet in CA...
wonder why they bothered?

And this part is nearly laughable...

To save money, EPA relies in part on trained volunteers to regularly change out air filters on the RadNet monitors and mail them to a federal lab in Alabama where the data gets a detailed analysis a few days later. Volunteers are also tasked with alerting EPA if something goes wrong with the machine.

TO SAVE MONEY???

The EPA needs to save MONEY???

They have all the money in the taxz world at their disposal...???

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I absolutely laughed when I heard these were "down for repairs" last week. It is soooooooo typical.

Can I go back to sleep where I thought I could trust my government and was living in the land of the free???

Sigh.

Keep up the great work BTS

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
In a real crisis, there is no time to wait for the truth to filter out.

Data systems like this have to have a transparent, real-time, multiplatform capability to get the word out to the People- not just the Agencies- who need it.

Thanks for keeping us informed, BTS.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Ive just been drinking 3 glasses of red wine before bed, and taking lots of Vitamin C tryin' to clear out my lymph nodes that have been swollen since the 16th, check out my post on how the Pharmacies in my town played mommy and wouldn't even allow us to have iodine as a supplement. Now about 90% of people I know including myself have swollen lymph nodes, (we live in southwest Washington PNW) bad migraine headaches, dizziness (which I think is also related to other earthly issues) and just plain feelin' like crap . I copied that article, not your thread though, and sent the article to my pharmacies' email graciously thanking them that they allowed us to choose for ourselves... well never mind you can read my thread for more details. For sceptics who are gonna say I/we are paranoid, well just to let you know, I did think critically at first thinking, "well they had a high volume of log-ins so maybe it wasn't working 100%," but to have the EPA actually come out and say they were under maintenance is BS. I would like to see a source where the EPA is quoted saying this BTW! This was a time when we had the right and the means to check these systems, they are supposed to work in TIMES JUST LIKE THIS. We need to see NUMBERS, not just take some news cast lady/guy who doesn't know what the hell they are talkin' about's word for it. Either way, whether they were paid off to keep the numbers hidden as to not cause a mass panic, or they were not well enough equipped for ANYONE to interpret the data themselves is still not acceptable in my opinion. Thank you for keeping this issue fresh in our minds as I think all of us have the right to know this. Hey maybe the amounts in CPM were elevated to the 100 to 200 level and that is not enough to cause any "major health problems" and may have caused more panic then needed, still, fact is, we as humans have the right to take actions to protect ourselves from any of it when levels are above 100. Especially those with asthma or COPD. Unfortunately, we haven't even had the worst of the fallout yet, and when that does occur, will EPA's systems, be "under construction" again??? So thank you for yet another reality check. S&F for ya.
Peace,
Marriah

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Great catch! S&F&

...actually, the EPA is very low on the totem pole for funding - it's been neutralized, neutered and cauterized. It's just there as pretend oversight - no money, no power.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by marriah3330

Mainstream news, this is some small outlet in CA...
wonder why they bothered?

Umm, having lived in the Bay Area most of my life, the Merc is NOT a small paper. They are to the Bay Area what the Chicago Tribune is to Chicago, and part of a national syndicate. All of their articles go out on the AP wire.

Pam

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Since it has been confirmed that they aren't keeping their radiation equipment up to date and every day Japan's crisis becomes more horrible, is there any way trained west coast ATS'ers with their own personal equipment, could monitor the west coast? I do not believe we will be notified that we're being poisoned, unless it's obvious or too late. I would love to see what the numbers are in Washington and Oregon because it seems like the local news barely mentions it, and national news only mentions California. I know there are websites (I have bookmarked) that show monitoring station levels, but I do not fully trust them. I think it will be much better if someone has their own equipment and shows us the true levels.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Check out these other things most (99%) of people don't know...It's all being done with the approval of the people you have elected into our so called government..

Link: www.youtube.com...

P/S...
Better watch this while you can as my other ones were deleted....wonder why?????

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

Its standard operating procedure for sure!

Plastered over many areas on the site: Basically...

"nothing to see here, move along"

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Talk about a highly suspicious case of coincidental bad timing.

It kind of makes me wonder just what the State's spend all that Homeland Security Money on from the Federal Government when a 'dirty bomb' seems to be one of the government and media's most popular fears, yet we apparently don't even have a working radiation detection system that is reliable?

After how many billions spent on other crap.

Guess it just goes to show we have more to worry about our so called 'allies' than we do our our supposed enemies.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

We spend it on:

exam gloves...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

Thanks for your keen awareness when the reports were not available!

I am still in shock, to see many locations online with the banner that reads
"To-date, levels recorded at this monitor have been thousands of times below any conservative level of concern."

Ya right.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
they also took out the monitoring sytem here in europe when the cloud first hit
2nd

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by marriah3330

We need to see NUMBERS, not just take some news cast lady/guy who doesn't know what the hell they are talkin' about's word for it. Either way, whether they were paid off to keep the numbers hidden as to not cause a mass panic, or they were not well enough equipped for ANYONE to interpret the data themselves is still not acceptable in my opinion. Thank you for keeping this issue fresh in our minds as I think all of us have the right to know this. Hey maybe the amounts in CPM were elevated to the 100 to 200 level and that is not enough to cause any "major health problems" and may have caused more panic then needed, still, fact is, we as humans have the right to take actions to protect ourselves from any of it when levels are above 100. Especially those with asthma or COPD. Unfortunately, we haven't even had the worst of the fallout yet, and when that does occur, will EPA's systems, be "under construction" again???

We do need to see the numbers! Is that not what these sites are for?

Seriously, what good are they, if they refuse to display the data they are set up to retrieve?

I expect to see them down again when the real hot stuff hits.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join