It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian university puts ancient, mysterious sculpture on display

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Well it is a fact that South American children's heads were bound in a way that the skull would grow as the photos of the skeletons show. It was part of the worship to their God. But children & young women were also sacrificed to their God's. So I don't think this should be called a hoax. Until real testing is done to determine the age, no one can say. It's just speculation and that's not following the scientific method.
edit on 19-3-2011 by soaringhawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by soaringhawk
Well it is a fact that South American children's heads were bound in a way that the skull would grow as the photos of the skeletons show. It was part of the worship to their God.

To imitate the appearance of the Gods.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
One thing that struck me when seeing this is what a shame it is when an artifact loses it's provenance. Now we can't determine is this is ancient or recent, real or fake. This was probably looted from some site long ago and sold in curio shops until it ended up in this couple's hands. Once it's taken from a site without having been cataloged properly it's difficult to date it, and it loses all context from the site.At best they can try and find similar pieces and place it with those, but still what a shame. There are artifacts being looted right now from Egypt and Iraq that might have had a great story to tell...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
i wouldnt even consider giving thse statues credit as real until they are dated VIA thermoluminescence... if its real, they should have NO problem dating it.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
One thing that struck me when seeing this is what a shame it is when an artifact loses it's provenance. Now we can't determine is this is ancient or recent, real or fake. This was probably looted from some site long ago and sold in curio shops until it ended up in this couple's hands. Once it's taken from a site without having been cataloged properly it's difficult to date it, and it loses all context from the site.At best they can try and find similar pieces and place it with those, but still what a shame. There are artifacts being looted right now from Egypt and Iraq that might have had a great story to tell...

X2, the artifact lost its provenience, there ws no datum supplied, and it has not yet been dated... this thing just screams hoax to me. the artifact was probably not "in situ" and the fact there has not been any photos supplied of the site, and the datum point was not recorded makes me even more suspicious.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Exactly, why would they "make" the gods have elongated heads. What would even make them think of that? The fact that their gods have elongated heads has always made me wonder why would they choose that anatomy feature. Why not elongated arms?

Is it just a coincidence that anyone having an encounter with an alien always say they have large heads?

Hmmm, it is just interesting to think about.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by WJjeeper

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

X2, the artifact lost its provenience, there ws no datum supplied, and it has not yet been dated... this thing just screams hoax to me. the artifact was probably not "in situ" and the fact there has not been any photos supplied of the site, and the datum point was not recorded makes me even more suspicious.

the heads and bodies would have to tested. either a brilliant head artist went to pot on the bodies or its a badddd hack job... or the story required it?... doubtfully.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Some Africans also 'elongated' their heads, this image is of an African Princess (Ethiopian I believe)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/29adab3f32bc.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa
Some Africans also 'elongated' their heads, this image is of an African Princess (Ethiopian I believe)

I wish that increased our brain potential.

If it had a positive effect than I would understand them doing it. But, have ahead like that and no hates will fit you.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa

well, according to the "out of africa" theory... we all came from africa, so it would make sense if other cultures followed other cultures in closer proximities (elongation of the head-face and what not).

there are a lot of potential explanations.
edit on 19-3-2011 by WJjeeper because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Neat looking sculpture! I get kind of a creation/first man and woman type vibe from it, personally. Looking at it I imagine almost twins in a womb or something.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
It also could have been a fake made during colonial times and sold to tourists, based on other sculptures seen or found in the region.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Very interesting indeed, as far as fake goes I doubt it after checking out the one link provided that showed the extent of their collection.
All those Roman coins made me drool, and some of the limestone statues blew my mind.
I agree with a previous poster that they definitely knew what they were collecting and what was collectible and worth the cost of transport and storage.
On the elongated heads, I can only keep thinking of the statues and engravings from Egypt, but the African angle is very good too especially with the pictures.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Interesting, since Akhenaten was seen as the first in head binding, in Egypt. If it is real that means head binding happened in previous generations. I am really leaning to the fact that aliens have elongated heads and so they are repicating them.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Well actually i have seen with my own eyes a lot of Aztec, Mayan and Olmec collections. And they were very detailed when doing their handcrafts. So its very strange that there a clear depictions of being with elongated head. Actually in the southern part of Mexico there are a lot of not very known subcultures from the pre hispanic period which modified the skull from the childs at birth. This was done to mimic their Gods. Who know who their gods where. But i love archeology and this kind of findings make me wonder if we really know the history of the human kind.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Perhaps but that's just guessing.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
At least these guys have an idea o fwhat their gods look like.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

The Christians know what theirs looks like. An old white guy in a robe and sandals
like the summer version of Santa.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Friends, try to keep in mind that the human genome is 50,000+ years old, those humans had the same potentials as us. We went from hunter gatherer to advanced technological society in what? 6000 yrs?? I propose that prehistoric civilizations must have exsisted and disappeared without a trace before the last ice age. Imagine all the discoveries the human race has had to make over and over again. Maybe someday we'll learn enough in the periods between cataclysms to be capable of pulling our societies through the apocalypse. Hopefully the upcoming cataclysm will be the one our knowledge and culture survives.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Thanks for the post. Cool.

However, the "nothing to gain" idea implies that we don't have a history full of exactly such hoaxes (were this to be one). Like purposeful hoaxes on ATS, hoaxes in the media (remember Balloon Boy), crystal skulls, et al, some people just get their kicks this way.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join