It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potassium Iodide - Facts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
People are in a panic to buy, price gouging is occurring and people run the risk of destroying their thyroids because of ignorance.

STOP! Remember the motto of ATS "Deny Ignorance"

Cool heads prevail, so I think we should discuss this fully.

* Disclaimer: We are not doctors so we cannot prescribe medicine, nor give medical advice so please consult a doctor or pharmacist.

WARNING: Synthetic Iodide please read the entire thread.

CDC Potassium Iodide

What is Potassium Iodide (KI)?

Potassium iodide (also called KI) is a salt of stable (not radioactive) iodine. Stable iodine is an important chemical needed by the body to make thyroid hormones. Most of the stable iodine in our bodies comes from the food we eat. KI is stable iodine in a medicine form. This fact sheet from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) gives you some basic information about KI. It explains what you should think about before you or a family member takes KI.

There are plenty of sites including government ones that discuss dosages, but some people and reseacher are claiming that topical tincture may be sufficient.

First the government facts.

* Adults should take 130 mg (one 130 mg tablet OR two 65 mg tablets OR two mL of solution).
* Women who are breastfeeding should take the adult dose of 130 mg.

* Children between 3 and 18 years of age should take 65 mg (one 65 mg tablet OR 1 mL of solution). Children who are adult size (greater than or equal to 150 pounds) should take the full adult dose, regardless of their age.

* Infants and children between 1 month and 3 years of age should take 32 mg (½ of a 65 mg tablet OR ½ mL of solution). This dose is for both nursing and non-nursing infants and children.

* Newborns from birth to 1 month of age should be given 16 mg (¼ of a 65 mg tablet or ¼ mL of solution). This dose is for both nursing and non-nursing newborn infants.

Remember taking large doses of Iodide can cause serious damage to the thyroid gland, so please do your research, but let's look at what he CDC says.

What are the possible risks and side effects of KI?

When public health or emergency management officials tell the public to take KI following a radiologic or nuclear event, the benefits of taking this drug outweigh the risks. This is true for all age groups. Some general side effects caused by KI may include intestinal upset, allergic reactions (possibly severe), rashes, and inflammation of the salivary glands.

When taken as recommended, KI causes only rare adverse health effects that specifically involve the thyroid gland. In general, you are more likely to have an adverse health effect involving the thyroid gland if you

Now lets look at what Drugs.com has to say.

Drugs.com Iodide and Potassium Iodide

Warnings

Potassium iodide should only be used during a nuclear radiation emergency when recommended by public officials. Potassium iodide only protects the thyroid gland from uptake of radioactive iodine and should therefore be used along with other emergency measures recommended by public officials. Potassium iodide for use during a nuclear radiation emergency should only be taken once every 24 h; higher amounts do not provide additional benefits and may increase risk of adverse reactions.

Now lets look at some alternatives if we can not find pills, remember these links are based on research also.

Penn State University on Tincture of Iodide for Radiation

Researchers at Pennsylvania State University's medical center in Hershey have stumbled onto what may be an effective home remedy to prevent serious radioactive contamination of the thyroid gland from iodine-131 emitted in the event of a major nuclear plant mishap. They swab the skin with a tincture of iodine.

Some other forms of Iodide are:

Foods containing Iodide

Foods containing Iodide

Iodized Salt 54
Seasoned Salt 40
Sun Evaporated Salt 30
Uniodized Salt 19
U.S. Drinking Water 8
Beef Liver 325
Turkey 132
Chicken 67
Hamburger 44
Asparagus 169
Broccoli 90
White Onion 82
Corn 45
Brussel Sprouts 23
Peas 13
Tomatoes 10
Idaho Potato 9
Carrots 8
Green Beans 7
Spinach 7
Okra 4
Cheddar Cheese Spread 27
Butter 26
Mozzarella Cheese 13
Homogenized Milk 11
Monterey Jack Cheese 10
Nonfat Dry Milk 7
Sour Cream 7
Cottage Cheese 5
Kelp 1020 Notice how High Kelp Is?
Squid 39
Crab 33
Sole 24
Clams 20
Shark 15
Sea Bass 13
Lobster 9
Oysters 8
Red Snapper 7
Tortilla Chips (w/Sea Salt) 80
Wheat Germ 46
Potato Chips (w/Sea Salt) 40
Orange Juice 18
Almonds 17
Oats 16
Pretzels 15
Apple 8
Vegetable Shortening 7
White Bread 8
Pear 4
Coca-Cola 3
Hershey's Milk Chocolate 2
Sugar 2

Now the Bad News: XXX ___POISON___XXX Synthetic Iodide

A site is suggesting this information, so maybe everyone should take a look see.

The Dark Side of Iodide

It is important for everyone to know that synthetic iodine is poisonous when orally consumed. The problems that ingested iodine cause with the central nervous system mimic other well known poisons; for instance, the metallic taste it produces is also found in arsenic poisonings.

There are rogue people in the alternative health movement who advocate drinking as much as three teaspoons of synthetic iodine daily; to supposedly cure and prevent countless illnesses. This is a case of snake oil. Their advice is incredibly irresponsible and dangerous; as shown by the many cases of their followers giving it children.

I am sure there is more that ATS member can add to this thread, so lets hear what you have to add.

Thanks in advance

RT
edit on 17-3-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
very good, i hope ppl stop spending $300+ for something they wont really need

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
A much needed thread. Thank you. There is too much information floating around with regards to alternatives to the KI (radiation pill) that are inacurate and rediculous. It's very important for people to feel they have a way to be proactive about their health and safety and to do that, they need accurate information.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by vjr1113

Very good point, also we need to be aware that the government is seizing lots of expired tablets, for safety reasons, so anyone buying expired tabs, be wise, because the buyers you purchase from may get their inventory seized before they can ship.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I heard Miso soup is supposed to be great for Potassium Iodide. Can anyone confirm this? My daughter loves the stuff so I may have to start eating it with her.....ugh...I wish pizza had potassium Iodide

www.ptleader.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I bought the gnc vitamins with 150 mcgs in them- not real certain degree of help but, I will buy kelp tomorrow as well!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth

* Disclaimer: We are not doctors so we cannot prescribe medicine, nor give medical advice so please consult a doctor or pharmacist.

I did, on the 14th I emailed them asking if I should buy some and have it on hand for a just in case situation. They agreed with the people on here saying stay calm and saying it seems extreme to buy them.

edit on 17-3-2011 by kittendaydreamer because: Took out unnessary stuff

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Good thread.

Hopefully by posting this information you will save somebody the misery of an unnecessary self induced iodide poisoning.

Save the Potassium Iodide tablets for the Japanese, they need it. Everyone else is just being silly at this point.
edit on 17-3-2011 by Drunkenparrot because: Sp

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Seriously, chill out with the KI buying. I'm not feeling SHTF vibes, and I don't think it'll happen.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Well done OP for an awesome thread. Not only is it informative, but it may save someones life.
Deny ignorance, drink conspiracy responsibily

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Good job here, Realtruth. You beat me to the thread as I have been working on this since yesterday as well, trying to get info together. You did a fantastic job. If you don't mind (and I hope you don't see this as a hijacking of your thread) I would like to add just a few things that I found as well.

I post this one just as a reference. Yes it was done in 2001 and from what I could find it has not be updated since that time. But it gave me, at least, a good basic understanding of what KI does, how it is best used and so on. It's a short read, only 15 pages in length and for it being written by the FDA, amazingly easy to follow.

FDA Study on the use of KI in radiation blocking

Now for a topic that I have not seen addressed as of yet, folks taking KI or their natural counterparts that already may have a pre-existing condition. As Realtruth has already stated and I will confirm... I AM NOT A DOCTOR and I am not putting this out there to be considered doling out medical advice, merely mentioning it to get people thinking about the whole picture where it pertains to their own physical well being.

I am an insulin dependent diabetic, and what got me to thinking about KI and the natural substitutions to begin with is IF a situation came about that I would have to take any of these (not just for the Japan situation but there are 2 nuclear power plants very very close to where I live) just how well would these things play with the insulin? Surprising the things I was able to find.

POTASSIUM IODIDE (KI)

- Note: I was not able to find any information that would indicate that Postassium Iodide in any form would lead to an increase of hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia. If anyone out there is able to find it, please let me know.
- I was also not able to find any information out there that taking KI in any form would lead to an increase of thyroid issues in diabetics as long as it was not taken long term, just like it is advised in people without diabetes.
- What I was able to find is that KI taken in any form would react with a diabetic pretty much the same as it would with a person without diabetes. That said......use good judgement and don't give in to panic. In panic is where we (everyone of us) make the majority of mistakes.

NATURAL ALTERNATIVES: KELP, SEAWEED, BLADDERWRACK.

- This is what surprised me the most. For diabetics, or anyone for that matter with a pre-existing condition, it is strongly, strongly encouraged that you do your homework! One would think, like I did, that because these things are 'natural' they would be better for you to take than KI, which is not necessarily the case here.

Effects on blood sugar:

Extracts of bladderwrack may cause lowered blood sugar. Caution is advised when using medications that may also lower blood sugar. Patients taking drugs for diabetes by mouth or insulin should be monitored closely by a qualified healthcare provider. Medication adjustments may be necessary.

Effects on blood clotting:

Bladderwrack may have blood-thinning (anticoagulant) properties. Therefore, bladderwrack may increase the risk of bleeding when taken with drugs that increase the risk of bleeding. Some examples include aspirin, anticoagulants ("blood thinners") such as warfarin (Coumadin®) or heparin, anti-platelet drugs such as clopidogrel (Plavix®), and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen (Motrin®, Advil®) or naproxen (Naprosyn®, Aleve®).

Source for the above 2 quotes: Wellness.com

Because I like to give as much info as I can here are a couple of more links:

Side Effects of Fucus Vesiculosus (Bladderwrack) Suppliment
How Bladderwrack interacts with Diabetic/Hypoclycemic Medications
NIH Info

You may think I am picking on poor little Bladderwrack, but I am not. The information above would apply to all kelp, seaweed etc. as they are all harvested from the same places.

I do not post this to cause or add to any panic whatsoever. I just want to make folks out there think about the overall picture of their health rather than to go out there with blinders on and potentially get themselves into a more dire situation.

Cheers!!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by MyMindIsMyOwn

Good job here, Realtruth. You beat me to the thread as I have been working on this since yesterday as well, trying to get info together. You did a fantastic job. If you don't mind (and I hope you don't see this as a hijacking of your thread) I would like to add just a few things that I found as well.

I do not post this to cause or add to any panic whatsoever. I just want to make folks out there think about the overall picture of their health rather than to go out there with blinders on and potentially get themselves into a more dire situation.

Not at all add as much as you like, this is about people staying safe here. I could care less about stars/flags or applause's, but much rather see related information to strengthen what is already on this thread.

Again thank you everyone for caring about your fellow human being because we are all in this together.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I got a baby syringe (free from my pharmacy) and am administering an 8 ml dose applied topically with a Q-tip to the back of my knee daily. I have suffered no ill effects.

I wanted to order the pills but something in me held me back. I will continue this protocol as long as the danger exists. Sensible, cheap, and easy.

I am in the Pacific Northwest.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Ok, this is probably a stupid question...but, what should a person that has had a thyroidectomy do? Are they basically safe from the effects of radiation?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by vjr1113

$300 ?!?!

I saw some packets of 14 pills on ebay for $1600 ! ! ! !
With a disclaimewr that they will ship to Japan.

It's sad that people would take advantage of Japanese people who may need these pills to make money and sell them at extraordinary prices.

ALSO......

I was wondering because although I live in a smallish town (14,000) the 4 stores that usually carry it have sold out.
What got me was that an apothecary shop said they could only sell it by prescription but the other 3 didn't need one and you can buy it online all day long (usually) without a prescription.
Is there something to this or are the apothecary people nutty.

Also the lady at GNC told me although they didn't carry it she got an email that morning from the home office that informed her to tell people that their Kelp supplements did the same thing.?.?.? she was really pushing the Kelp.
edit on 17-3-2011 by mwood because: add content

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Dont everyone start taking it now! Only DURING an event. People are gonna start dying FROM ingesting it thinking they are protecting themselves in advance.

What you will really be doing is killing yourself. Hell with the radiation...you'll be dead by then.

So...wait until the rad's on its way and the government will tell us when to start...and when to stop.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by condition9
I bought the gnc vitamins with 150 mcgs in them- not real certain degree of help but, I will buy kelp tomorrow as well!

150 mcg = 0.150 mg
No, it won't help.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
It only provides protection for the thyroid, anyway.

We have natural substances that can provide whole body protection against radiation poisoning.

I posted a study abstract on another thread where groups of mice receiving a cocktail of common antioxidants were compared to a group of control mice after whole body irradiation. All of the control rodents died within thirty days. On the contrary, 14 out of 18 mice receiving the antioxidant cocktail were "alive and well" after thirty days, where the cocktail was started 24 hours after radiation exposure. And honestly, the antioxidant cocktail they used could be improved substantially.

There are even natural supplements like Cat's Claw and sesamol that may help to facilitate DNA repair after radiation poisoning, rather than just interfering with the damage cascade.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
she got an email that morning from the home office that informed her to tell people that their Kelp supplements did the same thing.?.?.? she was really pushing the Kelp.

No doubt. There is money to be made. Now, Kelp supplements may or may not be good for one's health in general, but to take Kelp supplements with the idea that they will "do the same thing" as Potassium Iodide [in the recommended dosage for the thyroid in a radiation emergency] is hype. Just pay attention to the dosages and disseminate from there. The recommended dosage for radiation pills is 130 mg a day for an adult. That's about 430 Kelp supplements, presuming the Kelp supplements are up to 1000mcg, per day.

This quote is with regards to Kelp supplements as a general health and nutrition product. Note that dosage over 150 mcg per day is not recommend.

Warnings "Prescription for Herbal Healing" states that the recommended dosage of iodine for adults is 150 micrograms a day. The average kelp-based supplement provides 1,000 micrograms of iodine per dose. Because intakes of over 2,000 micrograms daily can cause low-thyroid activity, limit consumption of kelp to twice weekly. Read more: www.livestrong.com...

ETA:
This page has some useful information, as well. Near the bottom, it discusses that the second best option to the KI, radiation pills (if you need this in an emergency) is to paint an 8ml swab of Iodine solution on your wrist or abdomen 1 hour before exposure. Reports *suggest (again, not approved by the CDC) that this will help in the same way the KI pills do. This is plan B, in an emergency evacuation.

www.pyradyne.com...

edit on 17-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join