It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who built Baalbek? How?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
In case you have never heard of this ancient site here are two good websites with great pictures. Please read them first so if your not familiar, I dont have to explain the basics.

www.bermuda-triangle.org...

www.geocities.com...

Anyone have any theories on these? You can tell that the huge stones are much older than the newer built up features. One of the unquarried blocks weighs apporx. 2,000 tons. Could this be an ancient (very ancient) site that was built up by the Greeks or Romans over the ages?

I have my own theories on this but I want to see what others think.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
At last, a conspiracy we definitely CAN pin on the masons!!

Well some sort of masons anyway. Apparently the one left in the ground has a large internal crack in it, which would have caused it to break up if it was ever moved. The crack, if a remember right, isn't actually visible from the outside, which leaves one to wonder, is that the reason they abandoned the stone, and if so, how did they know it was cracked?

It's certainly a strange one...

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Baalbek, Lebanon, 34� N 36� 13' E :

Brief description:
This Phoenician city, where a triad of deities was worshipped, was known as Heliopolis [Sun City]during the Hellenistic period. It retained its religious function during Roman times, when the sanctuary of the Heliopolitan Jupiter attracted thousands of pilgrims. Baalbek, with its colossal structures, is one of the finest examples of Imperial Roman architecture at its apogee.

It's construction seems to have required giants, magic, or some form of advanced technology.

Exploring Geographic and Geometric Relationships Along a Line of Ancient Sites Around the World

[edit on 14-8-2004 by Ischyros]

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
lets see a bunch of colloge kids hook up ropes and drage the sucker lol.

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
You just made me think of something.Why are there abandoned stones here and there when somebody put a good deal of work into it?Something might have happened.
Easter Island still had some statues under construction and there they lie.
I suspect some natural cataclysm or its after effects made them stop the work.Easter Islands statues are gravestones.
In the meditteranean,most temples were damaged or destroyed by earthquakes. Perhaps they stopped because it was already damaged or unstable? Once those huge stones or pillars were in place,how could you remove them?

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   

stgeorge
Easter Island still had some statues under construction and there they lie.
I suspect some natural cataclysm or its after effects made them stop the work

They starved themselves to death by bad agricultral desicions, related to moving and
erecting the 'Moai'.
www.montshire.org...

S

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
muppet: I totally agree that we had some kinda masonic activity at baalbek at some point, or at least the handiwork of some stonecutters.

Part of my family actually has Lebanese roots, and hopefully the world will settle down soon so I can actually go take a visit and see this in person. In the meantime here's some more information on the place:

the catholic encyclopedia identifies Baalbek and Heliopolis: www.newadvent.org.... do we have any biblical scholars who can comment on where heliopolis appears in the bible / church history, in what roles it appears, and anything else of note?

a neat picture:

And finally, this guy's site is cool:

www.theforgottentechnology.com... (it's also what i used to start www.abovetopsecret.com...). He shows that it's a lot easier to move large, heavy stones, and especially oblong stones (as opposed to more-nearly-cubic) than is commonly thought:

if you're trying to lift or drag a heavy stone, yeah, that's hard, but if you put in a pair of rods:

----------------------------
............||...||...............

like so (the --- is the bottom of the stone, the || are the rods, and the ... is the ground), then you can tilt the stone so it's balancing on just one of the rods, rotate it so the lifted rod has moved in the direction you're trying to go, then tilt the stone off the support peg and onto the other, now-further-along-the-road peg, and repeat; it's not lightning-fast, and for stone the size of the baalbek stones you'd need treetrunks for pegs, but with a few brigades of slave labor it'd make moving these stones a lot less hard than you'd otherwise think.

Please don't flame me: I'm not saying that the baalbek builders used this technique, I'm just saying that moving huge stones is a lot easier than it looks. I'd still like to know why they built so big at baalbek, why construction in places was left undone, etc., so keep the info coming.

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
ive always thought that there were somethings in the days of old that might just not be here in days of today...like the knowledge on how to build things that large!
. They are huge! Im guessing magick, or some kind of "help" from someone else. If those stones are as big as i think they are, then i dont see how any human could move it!

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman

Anyone have any theories on these? You can tell that the huge stones are much older than the newer built up features. One of the unquarried blocks weighs apporx. 2,000 tons. Could this be an ancient (very ancient) site that was built up by the Greeks or Romans over the ages?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good question,very god

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
After investigating this subject I believe that the original temple of Baalbek was construced by Solomon. As many articles state, the bottom layers and floor of the structure all reflect a style of stonework that the Romans (and Greeks) did not utilize. Obviously the Romans found the huge level stone base and decided to build a huge temple on an already prepared site. If Columns were already in place then they may have decided to recarve them into Roman style as well.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I just have to add that I'm complete thrown by these megaliths. I've seen many major structures, from pyramids to Stonehenge to Angkor etc, and could always find an explanation, at least for myself, how these were built.

But this thing is freaking huge. Beats me...

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
When I see things like these I remember a short story, whose author I do not remember that is something like this:

In a small Mexican town, a earthquake makes a big stone tumble from the near mountain and stop against the railroad tracks.
All the people knows that they must remove the stone for the train to pass, but they do not have any equipment or ideas.
After some time, the local drunk says that in the next day the stone will be gone, and the people accept it and wait.
In the next morning the stone disappeared, and everybody was wondering how he did that. He then explained that he got some friends and they dig a hole besides the rock, then it was easy to make the rock fell inside the hole and covered it.

Sometimes the solution is very simple, only we do not see it.
Maybe they used some very simple way that we, blinded by technology, do not think of.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
they dig a hole besides the rock, then it was easy to make the rock fell inside the hole and covered it.

This story exists in many cultures. I read it before somewhere.

However, all these megaliths just keep falling up, not down, and arranging themselves in intricate patterns.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me too ,Ihave my hypothesis.

The bigest Baalbek stone is--69 /16 /13 feet--1.170...2.000 metric tons

on my calculs= 500 /510cubic meters

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The black cube KAABA (in MEKKAH ) is10/ 12 /15 meters =1800 m. cubes

not far of 8.000 tons (under the ground= unknown-maybe 3--5 meters

more

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita

Originally posted by ArMaP
they dig a hole besides the rock, then it was easy to make the rock fell inside the hole and covered it.

This story exists in many cultures. I read it before somewhere.

However, all these megaliths just keep falling up, not down, and arranging themselves in intricate patterns.

I did not meant to say that they built those monuments this way, I only wanted to show that sometimes there is a very simple solution.

One of the things that puzzles people is how they built the pyramids, but the archaeologists think that they did not use anything special because there are lots of letters written by people who worked in the building of the pyramids and in any one of those letters they speak of the method, so it must have been something usual in those times and place.

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Who built Baalbek and how?
Seems to have been asked quite a bit Jazzerman:
The Mystery of Baalbek---The "Trilithon" Stones
BAALBEK - Who and how did they build it ?

Also seems that the answer is still elusive.
Rumors to partial factual testimony mentions everything from the Romans to Phoenicians, to the Ancients (giants).

Who knows, but the subject continues to stir major questions.

seekerof

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Seekerof...thanks for the links. No one responded to this thread for so long that I thought it may have been discussed before so after doing a search like you did, I did indeed see that was true. That is why I have abandoned answering to this thread until now, because I figured the thread had just died.

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Your certainly welcome Jazzerman.

I just happened to be looking thru this forum and by chance, saw the topic....very cool.
I have tried to stay up on Baalbek, but alas, studies have been keeping me away from much of anything these days and looks to do so for quite some time....

If I find anything of interest or inregards to updated information on Baalbek, I will certainly post it here.

seekerof

[edit on 19-9-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chuck Stevenson
After investigating this subject I believe that the original temple of Baalbek was construced by Solomon.]
I like Velikovsky's claim that this was the work of Jeroboam after the splitting of Solomon's kingdom - see the following link: varchive.org...
I am currently reading Paddy Haran's book "The Nephilim and the Pyramid of the Apocalypse..." which points to the Nephilim as being the architects of many large-scale ancient monuments.
I find both points of view thought-provoking.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Anyone like the idea of giants?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join