It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Air Force WC-135 Detects Deadly Radiation Over Pacific (US in 24hrs)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ToppDog

Do you really think north would be better than east??
Earlier today I was set on north but looking at the jet stream more I decided to head east.
What is your take?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Well I hope no significant radiation is headed this way. Didn't we bomb Japan with something once or twice? Anyone know if that caused mass havoc on the west coast?

Then again, I have no idea how much radiation is released via two atomic bombs vs how much is released from a nuclear meltdown, or if there is some significant difference in the materials released...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
JPOST: US aircraft carrier reportedly sails into radioactive cloud

Pentagon expected to announce that USS Ronald Reagan and sailors onboard were exposed to a month's worth of radiation in an hour; no signs of ill effects yet.

The US Pentagon was expected to announce that US sailors on the USS Ronald Reagan, an aircraft carrier were exposed to radiation when the carrier sailed into a radioactive cloud off the coast of Japan, according to a New York Times report.

US government officials told the NY Times that sailors and other military personnel onboard were exposed to a month's worth of radiation in an hour's time. They added that US helicopters flying humanitarian missions some 60 miles north of damaged Japanese reactors were coated with particulate radiation. The aircraft were washed off.

The aircraft flying rescue and relief missions in the area are returning to base coated in particulate radiation.

Also 60 miles away soldiers getting 1 months radiation in 1 hour. What is that... ummm 720 times normal!!!

Math: 720 hours in a 30 day month... therefore they were exposed to 720 times normal exposure. I need to research what harm such levels would cause.

Clearly radioactive particulates have entered the atmosphere from this event. That is no longer in question.

UPDATE: Research complete....
Wiki: Ionizing Radiation

For comparison, the average 'background' dose of natural radiation received by a person is around 3.6 mSv (360 mrem) per year.The lethal full-body dose of radiation for a human is around 4–5 Sv (400–500 rem).

So if normal radiation rate is 360mrem per year... thats 30mrem per month. and 1mrem per day. and 1/24mrem per hour.... soooooo the Sailors on the USS Ronald Reagan were exposed to 36mrem within 1 hour.

Wiki: Radiation Poisoning

Nausea and vomiting generally occur within 24–48 hours after exposure to mild (1–2 Sv) doses of radiation. Radiation damage to the intestinal tract lining will cause nausea, bloody vomiting and diarrhea. This occurs when the victim's exposure is 200 rems (1 Sv = 100 rems) or more.

edit on (3/14/11) by AllSeeingI because: code

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

I love how you conveniently leave out

Despite the scare, officials said there was no indication that any of the military personnel experienced ill effects from the exposure, comparing it to "natural background radiation" that all people are exposed to daily.

edit on 14-3-2011 by Agree2Disagree because: excerpt

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
According to accuweather.com following Friday's major earthquake 9.1 east of Japan, fears were raised of radiations leaks and nuclear meltdowns at power plants.

The wind direction may impact where the radiation goes both at a local level and even across the globe and even reach Los Angeles, Seattle, Honolulu, Anchorage in U.S.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by koots751

It really depends on which way the currents flow. Some models show the US pretty much being bathed from west to east, while others show a northeast approach to Alaska before following down the coast. It looks like the extreme north central area of Canada might be okay, but eventually it will cover the globe, so who knows. So, while I was thinking North & you were thinking East, I think both are better.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
How do yall feel about Colorado and Texas. I have a friend in Colorado that is really worried about this?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
This is Sorcha Faal at its best, fearmongering the common denominator of all those posts

Fear sells but those who r buying r getting more than they bargained for, what u pay attention to u become conscious of and if every cell of ur being is vibrating with fear and anxiety guess what happens to the quality and duration of ur life, not to mention what energies u contribute to society and the world

This article explains why we dont need to be worried about the current situation, of course u wont read it if ur already vibrating with fear coz fear feeds on itself and rational researched stuff that tells u why not to worry is quite indigestable to ur fear based mind

Why I am not worried about Japan's nuclear reactors.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Was there a cover up at Chernobyl?

Was there a cover up at TMI?

A2D

Yes and
Yes

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Racingfan84

Colorado and Texas should be absolutely fine.

I live in Washington state and am only concerned by the economic devastation this will cause.

A2D

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infrasilent
Well I hope no significant radiation is headed this way. Didn't we bomb Japan with something once or twice? Anyone know if that caused mass havoc on the west coast?

Then again, I have no idea how much radiation is released via two atomic bombs vs how much is released from a nuclear meltdown, or if there is some significant difference in the materials released...

Be aware of the fact that when you dropped the bombs on Nagasaki & Hiroshima, the public didn´t knew much about atomicbombs and fallout... please use your brain because you cant compare this with the present!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

rhetorical questions...they didn't really require an answer...

A2D

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Another reason I didn't want to go east across the US was if the New Madrid fault goes off, there are a lot more nuclear reactors right here that could be affected.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by aboveATS
This article explains why we dont need to be worried about the current situation, of course u wont read it if ur already vibrating with fear coz fear feeds on itself and rational researched stuff that tells u why not to worry is quite indigestable to ur fear based mind

I could wrote this article too, would you believe it then? This guy has knowledge but he doesnt has all information.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infrasilent

I'd have to say neither are good, this is the result you get when Man tries to play God.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
something from rawstory

"The worst case scenario is that the fuel rods fuse together, the temperatures get so hot that they melt together in a radioactive molten mass that bursts through the containment mechanisms and is exposed to the outside. So they spew radioactivity in the ground, into the air, into the water. Some of the radioactivity could carry in the atmosphere to the West Coast of the United States."

"Really?" a surprised Wallace asked. "I mean, thousands of miles across the Pacific?"

"Oh, absolutely. Chernobyl, which happened about 25 years ago, the radioactivity spread around the entire northern hemisphere. It depends how many of these cores melt down and how successful they are on containing it once this disaster happens," Cirincione replied.

www.rawstory.com...

You do have to admit,
this is a great cover for a
FEMA induced mass evacuation
plan.

OK Chernobyl spread around the entire
northern hemisphere and it was only
1 reactor. Japan has 6 reactors in trouble.

Just a scale for ya.

edit on 3/14/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ToppDog
reply to post by koots751

It really depends on which way the currents flow. Some models show the US pretty much being bathed from west to east, while others show a northeast approach to Alaska before following down the coast. It looks like the extreme north central area of Canada might be okay, but eventually it will cover the globe, so who knows. So, while I was thinking North & you were thinking East, I think both are better.

Well I'm thinking more long term and I guess further is better right? Plus I am from Vermont so that makes it very possible for me to take off within the next couple days.

If anyone is driving from pacific northwest to east PM me !!!!

I've got to get a little bit of sleep now. Big day tomorrow.

Everyone try and project hope and love. Jump into the quantum reality and wish this thing away!! Goodnight all,

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Hello all; I just joined, after eavesdropping for several months, to get started finally, and put this out for people: I ran across this photo today, by (Australian Radiation Services) on the facebook page:"Wisdom Seeker". They (ARS) seem to have some insight as to our (US and Canada)'s predicament; showing possible scenarios of just one of 5 reactors. If (ARS) is right in this photo, Were in for much bigger trouble with multiple's melting and sending the radioactive clouds out for a long time; the levels of concentration will likely increase, making "SLIGHTLY" much worse for us.

www.facebook.com...
edit on 14-3-2011 by SeekTruthToSee because: I am making attempts to get the photo right, so it isn't a thumbnail in a new tab when clicked on. I think it'll work now.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by verschickter

Originally posted by aboveATS

I could wrote this article too, would you believe it then? This guy has knowledge but he doesnt has all information.

its not what u believe, its what u know with ur heart, i know fearmongering when i see it coz i feel it, noone has all the information but the problem is the false information that produces fear and anxiety and we r here to deny it coz fear is just another name for ignorance

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
US Navy confirms that 17 airman are being treated for radiation poisoning after flying through a radio active plume

UPDATE: 10:24p.m. PST 3-14-2011
US Navy confirms that 17 airman are being treated for radiation poisoning after flying through a radio active plume. Cmdr. Jeff A. Davis, a spokesman for the American Seventh Fleet in Japan also confirmed the USS Regan’s on-board sensors indicated that the carrier had also been exposed to radiation.

OK now we have confirmed cases of radiation poisoning, which means that the exposure is actually 100-200 rems!!!

The Navy Said it. Wiki defined it: A radio active plume has been released which is potent enough to induce radiation poisoning which is defined as being exposed to at least 100rems.... which is 277 years worth of normal background radiation within just a few hours! Please someone who knows radiation please check my maths.

Wiki says Radiation Poisoning occurs beginning at 100 rems which is the equivalent of (1Sv).
Normal Radiation exposure is 360millirems per year... now the sailors have been exposed to 100 rems at least so... 100 / 0.36 = 277.7777 years worth of normal radiation within a few hours. seems right.... unfortunately.
edit on (3/14/11) by AllSeeingI because: did the maths again

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join