It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blast reported at Japan Fukushima Daiichi reactor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Blast reported at Japan Fukushima Daiichi reactor

www.marketwatch.com

TOKYO (MarketWatch) -- The No. 3 reactor at Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s /quotes/comstock/64e!9501 (JP:9501 2,121, 0.00, 0.00%) Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant damaged by the recent massive earthquake exploded Monday due to a buildup of hydrogen, Japanese media reported. Smoke could be seen coming from the No. 3 unit on Japanese TV. Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said Sunday that such a reaction was possible and would be unlikely to affect the reactor's vital core container. A similar explosion Saturday blew the roof off the building housing the No. 1 reactor at the same plant.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 13-3-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
THIS IS NOT THE SAME EVENT AS ON 3.12.11

There is video of the event, it looks much larger than the explosion on 3.12.11. I will post this next. The no. 3 reactor is supposed to contain Plutonium with Uranium (MOX). That is very bad as the video *(coming up) shows the plume going very high.
I hope this gets contained quickly, as MOX is supposed to be very nasty compared to the other reactor(s).

www.marketwatch.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 13-3-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Video of the explosion, appears much higher and larger than the one at the 1st reactor on 3.12.11

I hope this doesn't contain plutonium like we've been told....

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
You know, it's just one thing after the other over there. This one massive earthquake has set off a chain reaction of disasters for the Japanese.

If I'm not mistaken there was thread on ATS talking about what would happen if there were another explosion after the first one and talking about how it could mean a almost complete downfall for Japan.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Holy smokes how can anything survive intact after that.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
If I'm not mistaken, that was the entire containment vessel that launched into the air and then fell down. This is BAD BAD BAD. That means all that radioactive material is fully released.

That was basically a dirty bomb, but on a very large scale.

When are my potassium iodide pills I ordered from Amazon going to show up?!?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

I also remember reading about the brownish look to that cloud, supposed to be fast neutrons converting atmospheric Nitrogen to NOX, as I recall. Whatever that brown cloud is, it doesn't look inviting. I will do some more reading about the cloud color, I'm just going from memory. No panic attacks, please, I'll take care of that.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
aren't there like 6 reactors in that compound? Are they shut down? (can you shut them down?) what do you do with the hot nuke stuff inside the core?

If they aren't shut down, who is tending to them? cockroaches? Seems like noone can be around if there is radiation all over the place.

Anyone know the answers to some of these questions?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
um.....sheesh....ok does this mean i cant have a kid with a girl from japan anymore....this list of mine is getting bigger.

.being realistic with the need of nuclear power i want to say..

NUCLEAR REACTORS IN QUAKE PRONE AREAS SHOULD BE MADE ILLEGAL....FULL STOP!

and WHY ON EARTH DID THIS ONE BLOW UP??
i want to add that this could be sabotage...arnt all modern buildings in japan quake proof..isnt it law....especially for a multi-million dollar reator...cmon reactors exploding like that

god bless... mercy on all those effected and deliver them from this AVOIDABLE catastrophe we put our IGNORANT short sited selves into....

reactors are safe...my A$$
edit on 13-3-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Am i the only one who seen an ever so slight greenish colour around the plant?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
so dose this increase the risk of nuclear fall out in the U.S. should i start looking for Potassium Iodide to be on the safe side or not?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
The leadership of this planet thinks it's logical to make a marijuana cigarette, and other beneficial substances illegal... but Japan can have nuclear power plants on quake zones which could ruin entire continents with deadly radiation.

How much longer are we going to let these morons run things on this planet?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
The second explosion was much larger and taller than the first. I would think the explosion might have also damaged some other reactors. I read an article a little while ago - I forgot where as I have been doing a lot
of reading but it said 22 people have radiation sickness. That would be radiation poisoning - this is really
getting worse by the minute.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by stormy01399
so dose this increase the risk of nuclear fall out in the U.S. should i start looking for Potassium Iodide to be on the safe side or not?

Let me put it to you this way: If an event occurs where people will need potassium iodide, if you don't already have it, it will be too late for you to order it.

In fact, Amazon is sold out of iOSAT already. You might still be able to order some directly from the manufacturer (anbex.com). It's cheap - only $10 + shipping for a 2 week supply (enough to get you out of the area).

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Since that debris blew sky high, is it possible that there was more than a hydrogen explosion? I don't know. I'll leave that to experts. But I do remember reading about the reddish-brown clouds after a nuclear event, and that cloud is big and brown:

Source Link

The initial color of some radioactive clouds can be colored red or reddish brown, due to presence of nitrogen dioxide and nitric acid, formed from nitrogen, oxygen, and atmospheric humidity in the high-temperature high-radiation environment of the blast; ozone is also formed. It is estimated that each megaton of yield produces about 5000 tons of nitrogen oxides.[

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Easy to say in hindsight. Not so easy when considering that nuclear power has been development since before you were born, and the Japanese have a massive and growing population with serious energy concerns to satisfy.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Jib, that is exactly what I'm thinking. It is so frustrating and idiotic how this country, no, this world has turned out since civilization first started...
edit on 3/13/2011 by LiquidNova because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Oh, that looks really bad. Wonder how long it will be before we know what is really going on.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SPACEYstranger

Easy to say in hindsight. Not so easy when considering that nuclear power has been development since before you were born, and the Japanese have a massive and growing population with serious energy concerns to satisfy.

Hindsight? The Japanese had no idea they get tagged by earthquakes BEFORE they built these reactors there? The Japanese use to live in paper houses in those areas pre-industrial renovations of the 20th century, BECAUSE of all the quakes and the crazy climate.

Nuclear power is old technology in comparison to how far we've advance in just cell phones ALONE, you telling me nuclear tech has been stagnant for 40-50years? BS! TPTB are and have been suppressing insane technology that could power us ALL without hazards and BS like this, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE YEN BABY!!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I just hope that what I think is going on is not what's going on. I need to be a real optimist right now. I need to get rest and hope that things have settled down in the morning.
God bless the people of Japan and stop those nuclear fires in time.

<<   2 >>

join