It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boycott the UK census over links to Lockheed Martin, protesters say

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Boycott the UK census over links to Lockheed Martin, protesters say

www.guardian.co.uk

People are being urged to boycott next month's UK's census because the US arms manufacturer responsible for Trident is involved in gathering the information.

Protesters say they are willing to break the law and face a £1,000 fine and a criminal record by refusing to fill in the 32-page questionnaire. Resistance to the decennial census is growing as a coalition of anti-war groups, pacifists, religious organisations and digital activists begin raising public awareness about the role of Lockheed Martin, America's largest arms manufacturer.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
edit on 9-3-2011 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
This isn't exactly breaking, but I (somehow) completely missed this story!

Why would Lockhead Martin want to conduct the UK national census on behalf of the UK government?

If you're British you should be made aware of the fact that as they are an American company they are legally obliged under the Patriot Act to make all information available to all US Government Agencies, FBI, CIA etc

I wouldn't usually batter an eyelid, but some of the questions being touted for the census are really unneccesary! It is required by law to fill in the census or be subject to a £1000 fine and a prison sentence! Go check out some of the questions...

Another step towards a one world government and the NWO?

The UK government says that Lockhead will not share info with the US intelligence agencies, but I ask again, why would they then be interested in such an undertaking?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I heard about this too, there is another thread about it on here too. It's all a bit weird having an American arms manufacturer tio be vying for the British census contract in the first place.

Don't know whether i should fill it out now?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The census is suppose to count population so why do they want to know how many times i use the bathroom a day or what colour socks i wear on a friday day,

but seriously all they need to know are how many people live in my house and they sent me a full booklet (Edit 32 Pages )with over 100 questions to fill in. or i get a £1000 fine

They can go F*** themselves in all honesty sorry to be rude but they really go " go fish " they managed to send it to my house with my name on it, the government already have my medical records, my ISP has all of my internet activity, The police have my DNA for gods sake and other personal details ( minor offence when i was younger ). The DVLA have our driving records

Why should i fill it in seriously.
edit on 9-3-2011 by johngtr because: Edit

Late Edit - Another thing this census is going to cost at least £250 million - source www.independent.co.uk...
edit on 9-3-2011 by johngtr because: No chance

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by AmatuerSkyWatcher

Why would Lockhead Martin want to conduct the UK national census on behalf of the UK government?

Money?

I know, silly me this is ATS can’t have the simple answer; erm they’re planning to replace every fourth person with a clone so they can steal the little toys from our breakfast cereal and they need to information to brief the copies. There I think that’s mental enough for here.

If you're British you should be made aware of the fact that as they are an American company they are legally obliged under the Patriot Act to make all information available to all US Government Agencies, FBI, CIA etc

Evidence?

It’s a census, we’ve had one every so often for quite a while now, they’re useful for doling out services, it’s not the first step to the vaguely scary or scarily vague new world order.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I have never filled in a census.
I know that all sorts of info is already available about us all over the place and I know what the census is for. But I resent presenting them the info all neat and together on a plate with what amounts to a little profile thrown in.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by johngtr

Yeah i'm considering the same, however i really can't afford a £1000 fine and a possible prison sentece is pretty harsh to say the least!

I have to wonder why the questions are indeed so intrusive, the census used to be just about the numbers, but this...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
You should take a look at the T & C on the website where you can fill it in online

help.census.gov.uk...

Part of it reads

The information on this website is subject to the conditions of Crown copyright, unless otherwise indicated. We do not guarantee that the information on www.census.gov.uk is fit for any particular purpose.

take a look : )

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I Cant afford £1000 fine either , they dont have enough space to put us all in jail we should all agree to not fill it in.

I am A person not a Statistic

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by johngtr

The census is suppose to count population so why do they want to know how many times i use the bathroom a day or what colour socks i wear on a friday day,

but seriously all they need to know are how many people live in my house and they sent me a full booklet (Edit 32 Pages )with over 100 questions to fill in. or i get a £1000 fine

The questions are all related to who lives in your house. They don't care about your socks. I find no offence with the questions asked. However the Lockheed Martin connection IS disturbing.

I got my census in the mail yesterday and will not be completing it as a result.

Thanks for the info OP.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

No not literally my socks .

The Only Question They need to ask is

How many people live at your household.

Thats it

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
By the way, Lockheed Martin was also involved in the 2001 census, this whole issue was drawn out then and nothing came of it.

No one does their research any more!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

So your happy to fill out a personal document and give that information to an American arms dealer? I know I'm probably being silly, but I'm not happy about it. What interest does an arms dealer have in getting a census contract? It's branching out a bit from the development of weapons isnt it? Surely a British company could have performed the task just as well and caused a lot less suspicion in the process.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

Its not who is doing it that bothers me ( well it does a bit ) , and the last census i did not do.

The fact they should ask one question only bothers me.
The last census was 40 questions where as this one is over 100

thats a big jump- more than 100% increase in questions.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A
By the way, Lockheed Martin was also involved in the 2001 census, this whole issue was drawn out then and nothing came of it.

No one does their research any more!

Researching who runs the census isn't really the top of most peoples priorities, Why are you so condescending in your replies? Must be tough knowing it all, when all around know nothing
edit on 9-3-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Money?

You know what Lockhead do for a buisness? Don't you think Lochead makes enough money? The money they get from this little outing, will not even register on their account balance! So again, why?

Not to mention they outbid all the other interested parties to make sure they won the contract- why such an interest in a census for an arms manufacturer?

I know, silly me this is ATS can’t have the simple answer; erm they’re planning to replace every fourth person with a clone so they can steal the little toys from our breakfast cereal and they need to information to brief the copies. There I think that’s mental enough for here.
Haha, why come here if it is "mental"? Don't you find this just a little strange?

Evidence?

It’s a census, we’ve had one every so often for quite a while now, they’re useful for doling out services, it’s not the first step to the vaguely scary or scarily vague new world order.

I'm not going to do all the homework for you, did you even click the links I provided? Do a google for the patriot act and what it means for U.S buisnesses. Click the link for the census questions, and then ask yourself why they need to know even half of these questions...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The one thing they seem really keen on , is where are you going to be sleeping on march 27th, does not matter if you live there but they want to know where you will be sleeping?

so...

I think we should all go camping on the 27th and have a freedom festival. im sure they would like that
edit on 9-3-2011 by johngtr because: Edit

edit on 9-3-2011 by johngtr because: bad edit

edit on 9-3-2011 by johngtr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
For those of you who don't care or are not worried about Lochead Martin doing this census, because they said they will not pass on the info, please watch this video:

Still sitting comfortably?

Oh, Americans, I hope you realise this is a good practise run for them too...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

So your happy to fill out a personal document and give that information to an American arms dealer?

You’re not giving your information to an American arms dealer, not unless they are secretly copying everything they process. And if they’re doing that then why would I trust anyone with anything, they could all be breaking the law.

And if it wasn’t American it would be German, I don’t trust one more than the other so that makes no difference and as for whether or not it’s an arms company, I don’t care.

What interest does an arms dealer have in getting a census contract?

Money!

What interest does any company have in getting any contract if not to make a profit?

Lockheed Martin is a huge company that although deals primarily in aerospace and defence does have substantial interests elsewhere.

Researching who runs the census isn't really the top of most peoples priorities, Why are you so condescending in your replies? Must be tough knowing it all, when all around know nothing

Oh I don’t know it all, but you see there’s this little secret; when I don’t know something I look it up!

It’s not difficult or time consuming to look something up but people are far happier to jump to conclusions screaming NEW WORLD ORDER!

Five minutes and people would have seen how this has all be played out ten years ago but no.

reply to post by johngtr

The fact they should ask one question only bothers me.

So they’ve asked how many people live in your house and you’ve told them. Don’t they need to know the ages of these people? If not how are they to adjust the schools budget for example or ensure that enough resources are available for the elderly?

There’s an argument to be had over each question but government needs to know far more than how many people live in your house.

You know what Lockhead do for a buisness? Don't you think Lochead makes enough money? The money they get from this little outing, will not even register on their account balance! So again, why?

If it produces a marginal profit then it’s worthwhile. No business is ever going to say “I think we’re making too much money, better stop for a bit”.

LM are making £150m out of this contract, why wouldn’t they want it?

Not to mention they outbid all the other interested parties to make sure they won the contract- why such an interest in a census for an arms manufacturer?

Of course they outbid all other interest parties, that would be true of any company that won the contract. It would be suspicious if the winner hadn’t outbid the competition.

And LM aren’t just a weapons manufacturer, information systems makes up nearly 30% of their activity for example.

Haha, why come here if it is "mental"? Don't you find this just a little strange?

I’ve been increasingly wondering that myself lately.

I'm not going to do all the homework for you, did you even click the links I provided?

Yes and neither provide any evidence that we should be concerned about the US subpoenaing LM for census information.

Here’s the ONS’ response to concerns about LM:

All data processing will be carried out in UK – no data will leave or be held at any point outside the UK;
All data is the property of the ONS and only UK/EU owned companies will have any access to personal census data.
The only people who have access to the full census dataset in the operational data centre will be ONS staff.
No Lockheed Martin staff (from either the US parent or UK company) will have access to any personal census data.
ONS will control system access rights to all data systems;
Existing law already prevents the disclosure of census data – it is a criminal offence to disclose personal census data and is punishable by a fine and/or up to two years in prison.
All census employees and contractors working on the census sign a declaration of confidentiality to guarantee their understanding and compliance with the law.
Independent checks by an accredited UK security consultancy of both physical and electronic security are carried out for ONS

2011mc.census.gov.uk...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Saw this on the wiki page:

The Cabinet Office state that Lockheed Martin will "develop the systems" used to process census data, but that "in essence ... neither Lockheed Martin UK nor any Lockheed Martin employee will have access to personal Census data."[3] The Office of National Statistics stated that no personal census information will ever leave the UK or be seen by any American-owned company.[4]

United Kingdom Census 2011

Why do they need to collect our information?

Central and local government, businesses, charities and academics need facts about how the population is changing in order to identify the needs of communities and to plan for the future.

Census statistics show where there are clusters of similar people. This means that planners and decision makers at national, regional and local level can work out what is needed for local populations. This may be more car-parking facilities in shopping areas, or housing for first time buyers, or language lessons in areas with a wide diversity of languages.

Why Society Needs Information Collected By The Census
edit on 9/3/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join