It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you turned away from Christ due to the Political Right?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I was speaking with someone today who actually left church and turned away from the teachings of Jesus Christ due to the political rhetoric of the ultra conservative right. He himself is somewhat conservative and was disgusted at just how the church and mainstream Christians have hijacked the bible to oppress non-believers. He has now turned agnostic, believing that if Christianity were the true religion then Jesus/God would not have allowed it to be so perverted.

So I did some searching and found these versus.

"But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and [that] he were drowned in the depth of the sea." Matthew 18:6

"And whosoever shall offend one of [these] little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea." Mark 9:42

"Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend." 1 Corinthians 8:13

"Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:" 1 Corinthians 10:32

"Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in [his] brother's way." Romans 14:13

I am curious as to how many other people here have turned away from Religion / Christianity / The Church due to the ultra right wing political rhetoric and the hijacking of Christ's teachings?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
How can I turn away from something that is part of me?
2nd

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

The far left has them fleeing Christ in Liberal amounts...get the pun? lol

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I was raised Catholic but no longer practice Catholicism. It has nothing to do with far right. It has everything to do with perverted teachings. I think living in Christ's example is what we should strive, but that is as far as my beliefs go. I think organized religion is a farce and preys on the stupid and vulnerable. If God created us he did not create us to worship him or his so called son. If that's the game, I don't want to play.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
NO - - - but the political Right hurts those who are good people and believe.

I stepped outside the box - - and asked myself if I believed - - did any of it make any sense. The answer was NO.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
It was reading the bible for myself that did religion in for me actually. I wasn't interested in politics at all at the time.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I turned away from Christ a very long time ago when it came to my attention that the Bible is nothing more than a collection of fairy tales. It is now a proven fact that the area where the stories take place are full of naturally growing psychedelic substances. This would account for all of the so called "miracles."

The plagues can all be attributed to natural phenomena associated with seismic activity. Basically, all of these wonderful stories can now be scientifically explained or were the product of drug abuse.

On another note, I do believe that there is some kind of supreme being but I don't think it is out for good. I, myself, have been the victim of many absurd situations of bad luck that defy explanation, and I'm sure there are a lot more out there. I think it time that we find a way to find a way to make a stand.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Not sure. Would have to read the bible again to see whether it's right or left or ...

I think it was society that turned me away from it. I just grew out of it. School and things I learned. I couldn't fit this world and the one in the bible... together. Maybe it would have helped if I had known some liberal christians? No idea, but I can't see myself ever believing again. I look at everything from a naturalist perspective now. My mind is open enough for the idea of god, but I just don't think god or the universe revolves around us in any way. We're a life form. There're many life forms on the planet. We will probably start finding them in space and on other planets. It just seems like our world gets smaller and smaller and hte universe gets bigger and bigger. It's hard to hold onto a religion or tradition when everything is changing so fast! I wish I could change better than I do.

In dark moments sometimes I wish I still had my faith because it centered me better. When yo udon't have a faith to turn to it's hard to find comfort I think but if you do find it it might be more lasting. I don't think I've found it yet, but I hear some have. I don't know what price they paid though.

On the bright side I think the changes in me make me more open to the world. I'm not fearful fo things anymore I don't look for the devil in everything. If an alien was here with me, I would see another lifeform. When I was a christian I would have seen a demon or something supernatural. I don't have any fear of people who practice other rellgions like I did whne I was a chrisitan. Whe n I was a christian people with other religions were a threat since they were blinded, or I thought they were, and people who're blinded don't spread the truth (as I thought at that time). The world was a fearful and sometimes very spiritual place when jesus stole my heart. But I have moved on, and now I must find things in this universe to fill the empty spot. Wish me luck.

I'm not spiteful of christians. I envy them. I love them. I love everyone. I have no fear of atheists or satanist or witches or you name it. To me they're people. Their religion is their own private concern.

Imagine what it would be like to no longer fear demons or evil. Woiuld be great eh? That's what it's like for me. But it came with a cost. I no longer have that spiritual feeling with a group of others! And I cannot seek the lord in prayer and find comfort so cheaply. I lost some and gained some. Personally, I think I'm still in debt. The rational universe leaves a lot to be desired.
edit on 8-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Not much of a belief in it if political party rhetoric can turn you away from your faith... kinda pathetic.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I'm turned away from Christ because I don't believe in any Divine right to torture someone.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I was surprised when I saw the truth of the Bush administration. Of course, I knew what Clinton and his child-killing, anti-militia, communistic leanings were, but I was truly surprised as a Christian to see the lies of our leaders! Patriot act 1 and 2! War on terrorism. Them getting my eye scans at a protest I went to! Same tyranny, different sheeps clothing! I still love God and Jeshua as all that is true and good. People are fallible. It's just so stupid, how can you name the rigteousness of God and do such things??? "To him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin." James 4:17.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

My son is a preacher and he has to deal with the issue where people can't see where the Bush boys ever did wrong but any democrat was a demon from hell . I can't see a line in the sand between them . The present administration basically has picked up every thing that the former administration set down . It's like they are relaying racing to the NWO end . Bush signed us into the NWO . Obama will also funnel us into it . I find that we Christians are not aware of the big picture of who is calling the shots on this earth. We have only now started to see that God has chosen a people to bring about his plan for him . These people have the reign over presidents and politions . The same Moneychangers that Jesus overthrew in the Temple that we commonly call the Banker Elite call the shots in America . Ibelieve that is why we see no real difference between the last two administrations .
A but off topic , today I read that the debit credit card stripe is on the way out . It is to be replaced by a RFID chip card . Of course it will be implanted although I'm not sure when or if you will have to swear to the Antichrist . It's starting to get real , real soon .

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

Those who love me, I will deliver; I will protect those who know my name. When they call to me, I will answer them; I will be with them in trouble, I will rescue them and honor them. With long life I will satisfy them, and show them my salvation. (Psalm 91:14-16)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Deja`Vu

I havent read the bible in ages but I don't remember it being right or left.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
It's sad to see so many people allow politicians paint their spiritual landscapes for them. I think the opposite happened to me: Christ's teachings has led me away from right-wing politics. This is not say I'm a "lefty" as I don't play that stupid left-right game that any 5 year old can see through. But rampant unchecked capitalism (especially the corporate variety) is not of God. Love is. I see little of that from either party.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I grew up Catholic, and when I turned about 15-16 I stopped going. I've read the Bible several times and I have a Bachelor's in History. When you read the Bible and you're trained as a historian (cue the jokes
) for identifying primary sources, etc. it's really hard to believe any of it. There may be a God, but Jesus wasn't his son-he preached quality values a positive way to live ones' life. I can't fault him for that, and anyone following him should do so in such a manner, because that would be more consistent with his message than proclaiming his divinity and worshiping another God. Oh wait, the Holy Trinity got around that pesky commandment. In any event, worship how and what you want, but it's not my cup of tea, and the right is simply exploiting the devout Christian population of America, in my estimation.
edit on 8-3-2011 by MGriff because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Jesus said that his followers would be no part of this world as he was no part of this world.
He could have become a king on earth and ruled he chose another path, his followers follow that path, paying back ceser's things to Cesar and gods things to god.

the reason you lost faith is because you allowed the worlds "politics" be your beacon instead of Jesus.

no christian can say they are a christian and be politically active it is a diametrically opposed world view.
edit on 8-3-2011 by CaDreamer because: spelling

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
The question of whether you believe in Jesus Christ should not rest in the hands of others.

If anyone is influenced by another persons opinion then they didn't have any belief in the first place.

Should a sword to your throat dissuade you from believing in Christ? If you answered yes then you never had the Gift.
edit on 9/3/11 by Intelearthling because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

Ask yourself this...why did many of the Founding Fathers separate their personal beliefs from their political beliefs? Reason being is that religion, in its purest form does not serve the people on a whole. Yet, we can retain those beliefs and practice them how we see fit.

Yet, the (mainly) Christian Right believes they are on a righteous path towards better government. One cannot have freedom if those in power wish to dictate morality based upon their sense and view thereof. A secular administration of government is needed for a free people. This of course does not mean that faith cannot be practiced nor included. It merely means that faith is personal and is held to the individual.

We can all pull up quotes from those who founded this country that support a Judea-Christian belief system, but to understand those are the beliefs of a free people; exercising their rights to proclaim their faith does not equate to a government based in religious law.

I cannot tolerate those who wish for this nation to be Christian or any other religion. That is the culture; not the political make up. Law and the Constitution is the highest power in the land. This of course does not mean that God (or whatever) is excluded. It merely means that if a diverse people want to prosper together in liberty and freedom, we must separate politics from religion and religion from politics.

It may seem counter intuitive, but it is not. I can retain m personal beliefs. I can utilize those beliefs in administering my duties as a public servant and the ethical standards I hold myself to. It does not give me free reign to impose those beliefs upon another.

new topics

top topics

join