It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why hasn't the US made a formal apology to the Native Americans?

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TheForgottenOnes

not that i'm trying to be offensive but i live in Canada and the native population here gets lump sum's of money every month while the rest of us get nothing. Depending on the background you have you may get more or less money, some people use it very well others use it do drink and do drugs and it leads them to the streets.
yes it was terrible,
I think the billions of free dollars is the closest to an apology you'll ever get.
And frankly no one alive deserves any of that money, your ancestors were wronged but were you?
Sure we've all faced racial discrimination but do you really expect a global apology, did the Jews get one?

sorry I don't feel bad for you, only the people who actually suffered, and its unfortunately to late for them.

I do have an equally garbage question for you, When will it be possible to be racist against whites. Currently we are seemly the only race that can be racist and will be called a racist and prosecuted for it for practically mentioning another culture. I don't think I deserve more rights than anyone else, I think I deserve equal rights though and it seems the scale is tipping in favour of "anything-but-white"

congratulations your now part of a cultural immunity, enjoy it while it lasts

GummB

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Greetings friend: I too am part Cherokee from the Tennessee/North Carolina areas 1880s- upward. Welcome and peace. Our blood runs together as one nation, one being and with one GREAT SPIRIT.

After the TRAIL of TEARS, I dont think there will ever be any acceptable way for an apology. Those who treated us that way and still do...will have to apologize to the Great Spirit in the end....it is a wound that cannot and will never heal completely. It tarnishes them more-so...than us.....

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Howdy Brother...
nice to meet ya...
Just wanted to point out that my own People Navajo and Apache had our own version of the trail of tears... we called it the "Long Walk"

From Wiki;

1864. Navajos and Apache were forced to walk at gunpoint from their reservations in what is now Arizona to eastern New Mexico.
At least 200 died along the 450-mile (500 km) trek that took over 18 days to travel on foot. Between 8,000 and 9,000 people were settled on an area of 40 square miles (104 km²), with a peak population of 9,022 by the spring of 1865.

Unlike the Cherokee's after my people had enough of the Arm's hospitality ( 4years) we left Bosque Redondo and returned to our traditional home land... later after the Army found out we all split... 1886... they graciously gave formal permission to live where we have always lived for thousands of years...

Moe on the Long Walk here
edit on 1-3-2011 by DaddyBare because: correcting a typo

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Do not expect an apology from the US Government. It would not be sincere if it did provide such an apology.

Do not worry though, the indigenous people will be remembered and glorified.

With Love,

Your Brother
edit on 3/1/2011 by yeahright because: Staff edit to remove link

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Whatever injustices were perpetrated long ago to native Americans are legitimately remembered and no one should argue that. Sure, proclaim an apology and make it official and lets have a day of remembrance as well. Surely we, as a nation, are big enough to do at least that.

What the hell..... fair is fair and right is right

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
reply to post by superman2012

I never discuss this, for indeed the past is past and irredeemable.

But know this: my son was stolen from me and given to a white Christian family.

I haven't seen him since he was three.

Look up the Indian Child Welfare Act and its history and why it was necessary.

What happened to my ancestors happened to them, the injustices and tribulations they suffered are theirs.

What happened to me has happened to me: my hardships and tribulations are mine... I have no need to mine the past any deeper than my own to find deep injustice and child-stealing horror.

edit on 1-3-2011 by apacheman because: (no reason given)

I am not trying to downplay the fact that you had a child taken from you, but, the same thing has happened to me. I don't know what their reasons were for taking your child, but the reasons for them taking mine away was that I have something between my legs.

Am I now allowed to wallow in my grief and blame society for all that has happened to me? No. I pick myself up, try to be the best dad I can for the son and daughter I have with my current wife, never forget, and hope that I get to see my daughter again. I have lived through bad times that most people say, "i'm sorry" when I tell them. I no longer tell people...like you said, that is my cross to bear. I don't need handouts, apologies, affirmative action, to feel like a citizen. Just like you said, "What happened to me has happened to me: my hardships and tribulations are mine", so why are you trying to push the burden of blame onto other people?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Everyone pay attention now...THE GOV'T DID APOLOGIZE!!! DO SOME INVESTIGATING BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS THREAD!!

nativevotewa.wordpress.com...
edit on 1-3-2011 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
Everyone pay attention now...THE GOV'T DID APOLOGIZE!!! DO SOME INVESTIGATING BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS THREAD!!

What is an apology from an oppressor while he is still oppressing you? This makes no sense.

An apology would be to end the oppression, and make it right with those you oppressed.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM

What is an apology from an oppressor while he is still oppressing you? This makes no sense.

An apology would be to end the oppression, and make it right with those you oppressed.

With Love,

Your Brother

Just because they are not treating the natives the way that they want to be treated doesn't make them an oppressor. That is like saying your parents were oppressing you because they wouldn't let you rule yourself.
They apologized. Just like every Indian has been asking for. Now that they do, people say it isn't enough!? HAHAHA What else should people that didn't participate in a massacre have to do to make things right?...and for God's sake, please don't say leave...I think this thread took a turn down that alley at page 11.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
They haven't made a formal apology because they are not really sorry.

Back then they believed in ideas like, "Manifest Destiny" and felt that it was their god given right to take possession of the land, and to teach the natives to be proper Christians.

Now, they are too far removed to accept responsibility for what happened in the past. History repeats itself once again.
Some things never change.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Just because they are not treating the natives the way that they want to be treated doesn't make them an oppressor. That is like saying your parents were oppressing you because they wouldn't let you rule yourself.

Yes it does in fact mean that.. Your parents do not rule you. They merely guide you until you are self sufficient. After that you rule yourself. The illusion the Government has is one seen by the force they exert to maintain it. Open your eyes.

They apologized. Just like every Indian has been asking for. Now that they do, people say it isn't enough!? HAHAHA What else should people that didn't participate in a massacre have to do to make things right?...and for God's sake, please don't say leave...I think this thread took a turn down that alley at page 11.

If I start choking the life out of you, will you believe I am sorry when I continue to do so? Will you accept my kind benevolence of love when you turn blue in the face and all I offer is an apology while I do what I do?

Step forward then, and be a martyr. Prove it and let me me choke you to death. If it is ok to do to one, it is ok to do to all.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Yeah.

If we could refrain from choking each other to death? That would be great.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Please SOURCE all of your proof that the "white man" or gov't is keeping you down...I assure you, I will find 2 threads to the contrary.

So you are also saying that the us gov't isn't oppressing just guiding you now? I hope one day you are able to take care of yourselves as I for one am tired of paying for a race that I, nor my ancestors, had anything to do with.

edit: As a side note, please answer my question about what we are supposed to do to get the Indians back on their feet.

Also...I would not stand by and let someone choke me. I would fight.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Behold the pale horse rider.

Watch my friend, the fight is just starting.

With Love,

Your Brother

edit on 1-3-2011 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
"Nothing passes so quickly...as the spoken word". No apology would be sufficient enough to compensate for the great loss, and as many times as can be "proven" that some faction or other of the government apologized or tried to...it would never be enough. So..talk is cheap. And now? It doesnt matter, wouldnt apply, and would not be from the ones who offended: they are dead-gone. And to those-of-theirs still left? It doesnt even matter to them.

The Real American-Natives have already been vindicated...by watching the white-man and his ways suffer. One day...the land will return to what it once was. And the ones who could live and work that land by experience? The Indians. The Great Spirit will carry those who cannot walk...and those whose horses were stolen and land plundered. It will be on the wings of eagles that the Indian will survive...by soaring above the devastation left by greed and intolerance...and the land again will be returned.

The Great Spirit will provide justice-denied.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM

Behold the pale horse rider.

Watch my friend, the fight is just starting.

With Love,

Your Brother

lol...can i type that!? anyways...hahaha...I have had nearly enough of this thread. There are some (apacheman, baredaddy, forgottenones) that make a point in their comments to answer questions, be civil, and intelligent. Then there are people like this guy. I ask questions and he doesn't even bother to answer. IAMIAM, go back and read this thread in its entirety, and then if you have anything intelligent to offer to this thread, by all means post it...that is what ATS is for...intelligent...and sometimes not opinion. I have laid out my arguement over the last 20 pages and you come on here at page 20 and start talking about the four horsemen of the apocalypse? Which by the way has nothing to do with Indian lore..it is decidedly Christian. If you are trying to make a case for Indians to get back to their culture and heritage then perhaps you should stick with Indian stories.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by GummB

not that i'm trying to be offensive but i live in Canada and the native population here gets lump sum's of money every month while the rest of us get nothing. Depending on the background you have you may get more or less money, some people use it very well others use it do drink and do drugs and it leads them to the streets.
yes it was terrible,
I think the billions of free dollars is the closest to an apology you'll ever get.
And frankly no one alive deserves any of that money, your ancestors were wronged but were you?
Sure we've all faced racial discrimination but do you really expect a global apology, did the Jews get one?

sorry I don't feel bad for you, only the people who actually suffered, and its unfortunately to late for them.

I do have an equally garbage question for you, When will it be possible to be racist against whites. Currently we are seemly the only race that can be racist and will be called a racist and prosecuted for it for practically mentioning another culture. I don't think I deserve more rights than anyone else, I think I deserve equal rights though and it seems the scale is tipping in favour of "anything-but-white"

congratulations your now part of a cultural immunity, enjoy it while it lasts

GummB
if an ancestor is an Aunt that is still living, does she not deserve an apology because the government wanted to rip out her ovaries? I sure would like to think so

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Any apology that had to be written by lawyers, have a disclaimer, and was just fine print in a defense appropriations bill is in my oppinion, BS, and Superman, read the thread, this was discussed here long ago

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
"Nothing passes so quickly...as the spoken word". No apology would be sufficient enough to compensate for the great loss, and as many times as can be "proven" that some faction or other of the government apologized or tried to...it would never be enough. So..talk is cheap. And now? It doesnt matter, wouldnt apply, and would not be from the ones who offended: they are dead-gone. And to those-of-theirs still left? It doesnt even matter to them.

The Real American-Natives have already been vindicated...by watching the white-man and his ways suffer. One day...the land will return to what it once was. And the ones who could live and work that land by experience? The Indians. The Great Spirit will carry those who cannot walk...and those whose horses were stolen and land plundered. It will be on the wings of eagles that the Indian will survive...by soaring above the devastation left by greed and intolerance...and the land again will be returned.

The Great Spirit will provide justice-denied.

Think they can still live and work the land by experience? I surely don't. Not the ones on reservations anyways. They have forgotten their culture. How many of the kids on reserves are walking around like Slim Shady? It seems like once the Indians demand something, eg: an apology, they harp on that forever. Then they get their apology, land, money, affirmative action, schooling, healthcare, etc., and then that isn't enough. The land will return to what it once was when all of humanity is gone. People nowadays can't survive without their tv, internet, games, etc., you being on a computer seems to support this. Looks like farmers are the only ones that will be able to live and work the land when the land returns to what it once was. If you think a Great Spirit will help you and return all of the items that were taken from your ANCESTORS then you are as deluded as the catholics.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheForgottenOnes

Any apology that had to be written by lawyers, have a disclaimer, and was just fine print in a defense appropriations bill is in my oppinion, BS, and Superman, read the thread, this was discussed here long ago

I have read this thread in it's entirety! They have to write disclaimers so that the Indian population wouldn't sue them. They have given as much, if not more than they have taken. I am not saying that individuals have not been unfairly untreated in the past, but, as I have stated before (take the time to read your own thread please) I have had hardships as well as my family has and I don't sit at home bemoaning my horrible position in life. I did something about it much as your husband did!! I don't blame my problems on society. They are mine to bear just like Apacheman said. WHAT MORE SHOULD THEY DO THAN APOLOGIZE LIKE THE INDIANS WANTED!!!!!?????

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join