It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin democrats get on bus; flee the state!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
The state police are trying to round up One so they can get a quorum and vote on an unpopular austerity measure...
My first response upon seeing this headline "well that's a good START !"Brothers to the border make sure they stay where they are welcome!( i.e."Illinois" )

Wisconsin Democrats Get on Bus, Flee State
February 17, 2011 3:36 P.M.
By Daniel Foster

ABC News reports:

A planned state Senate vote on slashing Wisconsin public worker pensions and curbing their unions stalled Thursday after Senate Democrats apparently fled the state.

The contentious vote was postponed because the 33-member Senate must have 20 present for a quorum and not a single Democrat attended. There are only 19 Republicans so at least one Democrat must be present for the Senate to open business.

Police have been sent out to look for the wayward lawmakers, the Associated Press reported. A source said it appeared that the Democrats had boarded a bus headed for Iowa.

Sen. Mark Miller, the Democratic minority leader, released this statement on behalf of Senate Democrats: “Democrats believe it is wrong to strip people of their right to have a say in the conditions of their employment and to use state law to bust unions.

“We urge Governor Walker and the Republicans to listen to the people of Wisconsin, talk to the workers and reach an agreement that helps balance the budget while respecting their rights.”

Seriously. That happened. Just now.

THE MONEY'S GONE:
: RUNAWAY!!!!!!

www.nationalreview.com...
edit on 17-2-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

:

edit on 17-2-2011 by 46ACE because: spaces added for "readability".

edit on 17-2-2011 by 46ACE because: too manty free range smileys's.....

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Just comes to show how Democrats love to face the challenges ahead, by tucking tail and running....

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Did they do something illegal?

We live in strange times, don't ya think?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Rather than entering into the debate about what I consider a false left/right paradigm, I only wonder how many of us serfs would be fired from our jobs for doing something similar.

Apparently it's OK for public SERVANTS (Employees of We the People) to not only shirk their duty but do so at the expense of their constituents. While my latter statement is conjecture, I highly doubt these noble individuals paid for their little bus trip out of their pockets. I have little doubt their trip was paid for by their employers.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
HAHAHA....

This is so pathetic, I cant stop myself from laughing.

Heres your accountability people. This is our govt hard at work.

No words can describe how ****ed we are as a nation with people like this running the show.

....and in come the sympathisers

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
HAHAHA....

This is so pathetic, I cant stop myself from laughing.

Heres your accountability people. This is our govt hard at work.

No words can describe how ****ed we are as a nation with people like this running the show.

....and in come the sympathisers

It is sad; I live here and I can't stop laughing either!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

if Iowa had any sense,, they would roadblock the HWY...lol keep the demo's in their own state..

ROFLMAO

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

bring them back and fire all of them,and publicly humiliated them,what a bunch of weenies!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by bozzchem
Rather than entering into the debate about what I consider a false left/right paradigm, I only wonder how many of us serfs would be fired from our jobs for doing something similar.

Apparently it's OK for public SERVANTS (Employees of We the People) to not only shirk their duty but do so at the expense of their constituents. While my latter statement is conjecture, I highly doubt these noble individuals paid for their little bus trip out of their pockets. I have little doubt their trip was paid for by their employers.

Somebody(?) on the local talk radio reported it was a "short yellow bus"... hope it wasn't a schoolbus!
added:How are the special needs kids gonna' get home today?

edit on 17-2-2011 by 46ACE because: added

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TWILITE22
reply to post by 46ACE

bring them back and fire all of them,and publicly humiliated them,what a bunch of weenies!

I believe the people whose lives are effected by the laws they are avoiding might feel differently.

Unfortunately politics is about "show" sometimes.. Why does the US and UK ambassadors at the UN always walk out when Ahmadinejad starts a speech?

It wastes time, but it sends a pretty big message.

edit on 2/17/2011 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drezden

Originally posted by TWILITE22
reply to post by 46ACE

I believe the people whose lives are effected by the laws they are avoiding might feel differently.

What part of "unsustainable" is hard to understand?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE

What part of "unsustainable" is hard to understand?

The point is it's distraction. If the people lost these benefits to a landslide of Dem and Rep voters they would be enraged. This way they still lose them, but a show is put on to show support to the people.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Interesting article, and one that bears thought on the topic. The question of if it is legal, can be answered, that yes what the senate in that state is doing is very much legal, the use and authorization for the use of force is very much with in the federal and state laws when it comes to running of a government. As the democrats choose to retreat out of state, then they can be arrested and brought back, by force, under the parliamentary procedures to form a quorum to hold a vote. It is a real shame on the legislators who choose to use this tactic, as it means that they have no conviction or desire to legislate when times are tough, choosing to do such on their terms. In the end it will play out badly for them, as they can be arrested and held in the state building until the vote has taken effect.
The other part of this, and the question must be asked, what is worth fighting for on the floor of any legislature, what arguments could be made, or other parliamentary procedure be done to stall or even what every happen to the fine art of negotiations. What do the people who they are suppose to represent think of their actions and will this affect them in the next election when they are up for reelection?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by darrman
reply to post by 46ACE

if Iowa had any sense,, they would roadblock the HWY...lol keep the demo's in their own state..

ROFLMAO

( Barney Frank as "the great "humongous?"Pelosi in a red mohawk on Z-1?, Harry Reid on a chain behind her?)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Let me see here so the Democrats are running away from their responsibilities to protest the government just as the unions are doing with the teachers. Well I see this is the formation of something big, trust me a lot of things have occurred in Wisconsin. The Progressive movement was formed there and so was the Republican Party.

However it just goes to show the cowardice of Democrats, unwilling to even allow their Senate to have a vote. If that is not the “party of no” then I do not know what is.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Good for them. Hopefully the good citizens, public sector and private, take the time to shut the state dwon until this corporatist relents. His plan is purely cynical and an unabashed attempt the union bust (playing favorites too, since those public unions that supported him get a pass). He is the one that created the deficit; they had a surplus just a few months back when he took office.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
Interesting article, and one that bears thought on the topic. The question of if it is legal, can be answered, that yes what the senate in that state is doing is very much legal, the use and authorization for the use of force is very much with in the federal and state laws when it comes to running of a government. As the democrats choose to retreat out of state, then they can be arrested and brought back, by force, under the parliamentary procedures to form a quorum to hold a vote. It is a real shame on the legislators who choose to use this tactic, as it means that they have no conviction or desire to legislate when times are tough, choosing to do such on their terms. In the end it will play out badly for them, as they can be arrested and held in the state building until the vote has taken effect.
The other part of this, and the question must be asked, what is worth fighting for on the floor of any legislature, what arguments could be made, or other parliamentary procedure be done to stall or even what every happen to the fine art of negotiations. What do the people who they are suppose to represent think of their actions and will this affect them in the next election when they are up for reelection?

Wisconsin Governor Walker ran on a history of adhereing to and cutting budgets in Milwaukee.We elected him.Parlimentary Gamemanship will not get those hiding legislators very far.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Unsustainable is right.

Just as the ridiculous demands made by UAW bankrupted GM, this story is going down the same road. Now as much as the people may whine and throw a tantrum like the folks in Greece when they were told they couldn't afford their demands, we can't just print money.

I look at single mothers working one job during the day and bartending at night to make ends meet, and these a**holes want to throw a fit because they might have to contribute a little to their health insurance premiums?

The average middle class shmoe (such as myself) doesn't shed a tear over the contribution these people have to make. That's what the rest of the working class does. Deal with it.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
cnn: AWOL Wisconsin democratic legislators called CNN from undisclosed location with list of demands!

February 17, 2011
AWOL Wisconsin Democrat calls CNN with list of demands
By Mary Katharine Ham - The Daily Caller | Published: 4:28 PM 02/17/2011 | Updated: 4:31 PM 02/17/2011

State Senator Mark Miller, a member of the missing band of Wisconsin Democratic lawmakers who fled Madison Thursday to avoid a vote on a budget bill, called into CNN with the group’s list of demands for Republican Gov. Scott Walker.

Miller, a state senator since 2004, would not disclose where he and his colleagues were hiding out, saying only “we are in what we consider a secure location outside the capital. We are not all in one place at this time.”

Miller’s demands focused on the collective bargaining portions of the bill.

“We demand that the provisions that completely eliminate the ability of workers… to negotiate on a fair basis with their employers be removed from the budget repair bill and any other future budget,” Miller said.

He also demanded legislative oversight on changes to the state’s medical programs, which are targeted for changes in the bill. The bill would also require union members to contribute to their health care and pensions.

Miller and 13 other Democrats went missing Thursday morning when a vote on a budget-repair measure was imminent in the Republican-controlled Senate. It would have passed the Senate after getting out of committee on a party-line vote late last night, so Democrats left the building to stall a vote on the measure.

Asked by a CNN reporter why he and the Democrats weren’t doing their jobs, he countered by saying Walker had moved the bill too fast.

“We will return to do our job, but the governor has to do his job,” Miller said. “He has to engage in responsible negotiations with the interested parties and he failed to do so…We need to be able to enter into a responsible dialogue and not one that is such a sham.”

Asked about the deficit the state is facing, Miller said Walker is ignoring the economy’s recovery, which makes reigning in union benefits unnecessary.

“The economy’s recovering and the governor is completely ignoring the fact that we have a… recovery going,” Miller said. “The only thing that hasn’t recovered has been the rate of unemployment.”

Miller maintained that, by leaving Madison to evade a vote on the budget-repair bill, the lawmakers are “trying to allow an opportunity for democracy to work.”

The number of teachers protesting in Wisconsin, according to union representatives, in the name of better serving the students of the state, has also shut down many public schools this week.

Just like terrorists! Wisconsin Democrat call CNN with list of demands : Fire Andrea Mitchell!

3 Comments

macombman

President Obama claims this is an assault on the unions:

www.youtube.com...

5:29 PM 02/17/2011 - 5:29 PM Log in to Reply | Report Comment
johno413

My stomach aches! That’s the best laugh I’ve had in months. No doubt some mainstream media will make all the terrorist analogies they can about the governor and WI GOP. Gag.

5:25 PM 02/17/2011 - 5:25 PM Log in to Reply | Report Comment
SunnyJ

I am a Madison WI Instructor of healthcare and a licensed healthcare professional. I have been singled out in my workplace because I do not support the unions on this action or the actions of these legislators. They are in direct violation of their oaths, the WI constitution, and are supporting anarchy when the vote does not go their way. That is not democracy. Democracy is honoring the vote. They lost the elections and they are going to lose this vote…nothing they are doing supports democracy, due process, or freedom. Afterall, my rights are violated every payday, when I am forced to pay dues to the unions that I do not support. As far as the demonstrations…I recognize some of these people from the 60-70’s when the Steriling Hall bombing put an end to their antics. They couldn’t cut it in the real world then…and they’ve been employed in the only places that would tolerate this unprofessional and mediocrity…govenment and education…the refuge for many that can’t compete in the marketplace of ideas, products, services in a fair market.

5:25 PM 02/17/2011 - 5:25 PM Log in to Reply | Report Comment

Read more: dailycaller.com...

dailycaller.com...

edit on 17-2-2011 by 46ACE because: cleanup blog posts

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
They better have packed clothes. The first thing on the docket, once one of them crosses state lines will be the very thing they were running from.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join