It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel Warns It Might Act on Iranian Warships Passing Through Suez Canal

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Israel Warns It Might Act on Iranian Warships Passing Through Suez Canal

www.foxnews.com

Israel is monitoring two Iranian warships about to pass through the Suez Canal for Syria and warn they might act.

Israeli's Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman says that "Israel cannot ignore these provocations," according to ynetnews.com.

Lieberman added that the warships was "a provocation that proves Iran's nerve and self-esteem is growing from day to day."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
We shall see. But this was announced a few weeks ago, before the Egyptian uprising...

Iran to deploy destroyer in Mediterranean

A top Iranian Navy commander says the Islamic Republic will dispatch a destroyer as part of a naval fleet to the Red and Mediterranean Seas in the near future.

Other reports from Iran said the warships would be around Lebanon-Israel for about a year for drills...

With Mubarak back in power, no way he would have let those pass... but now with the new government... they might let them pass... and if they do, will Israel act and sink them?

If they do, what happens? Big trouble is what happens.

Remember that right now, there's 3 US aircraft carrier groups in the area... Here's a map

This could be big...

And while this is happening... Nasrallah, the Hezbollah chief, just made a new speech, saying Hezbollah would take over Galilee in the next war against Israel and that they were ready for war against Israel.
Hezbollah Secretary General Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah threatened Wednesday to “target” Israeli officials and “liberate the Galilee region” in the event of war with Israel.

Not to mention the UN report on Hariri assassination is due within days.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 16-2-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Wonderful. Yes, could be big or could be their same old same old. The timing is a bit concerning, considering what is going on in Iran right now with the protests and the corresponding media and communication blocks. What better time to swoop in?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

The Iranian regime want to force Israel to throw the first blow, so they will have a degree of justification for what will follow... They will not relent until they have provoked Israel, Once that happens Iran will enact its plan to destroy Israel, along with their allies in the Middle East and Asia.

Fortunately for Iran, the US leadership is reluctant to get involved, they know this, and will exploit that fact.

It's simple... Israel started it!

That is how it will play out, if everything goes as planned.

Hopefully the Israelis will refrain, and not be provoked, for them Iran needs to initiate hostilities so they too can justify their own devastating retaliations on Iran.

In the end, it all comes down to who will throw the first punch... Either way, there will be a fight, and one side or the other will win, neither plan to lose.

edit on 16-2-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Bad juju!! maybe this is what the pow wow was all about .(ambassadors) Destablization of the Arab Nations, who's your daddy Now? this question comes to mind as I watch the game going on over there...... " the secret to playing chicken is knowing when to flinch" Hunt for Red October. Israel flinches, THE BIG MISTAKE?? time will tell,,time will tell.
edit on 16-2-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Been following this as well. My question is how much will this potentially disrupt oil flow out of the region if a strike took place? My guess would be pretty big time disruption. I am sure it's going to get pretty interesting pretty quickly.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
If they'll use nuclear weapons or nig weapons , THE ALIENS WILL COME TO "RESCUE" !

Although , disturbing posts in this topic...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Saudi is running out of oil, how far will they go to sell their last drops?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Which is probably why Israel is making it known to media they might act. They are already laying the groundwork by making that statement. If an incident occurs, Israel is gonna be saying I told you so while Iran trys to explain itself.

If it were simple freedom of navigation exercises that would be one thing. The only reason this is occuring is for the escalation to get israel to hit first.

Dangerous game of brinkmanship.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikeybiznaz
reply to post by jaynkeel

Saudi is running out of oil, how far will they go to sell their last drops?

Since the US has developed a way to extract oil from the shale, we just found a way to decrease our independance on mideast oil by almost 50 percent over the next few decades.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Not to promising in the here and now though. If something were to take place.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I call BS. What kind of nation says "We MIGHT act"

Either you're going to Act or not.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

will N. and S. America be the next Oil empire? other than the North Slope we have't used our oil reserves yet have we?

+16 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Iran is just doing the same thing that other countries do, I thought the Suez canal was an international waterway. As long as the Egyptian army lets the Iranian ships through then Israel pretty much has to take it bending over. If the Israeli's attack the Iranians once they exit the Suez then S will HTF. I think this is more muscle flexing from Israel. I doubt and hope they don't try anything foolish and start a new war. Israel needs to stop being such crybabies and hypocrites. I guess Israel is the only country in the region allowed to have local allies.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q2IN2Y

Israel these days sounds like North Korea. Full of hot air... especially towards Lebanon, Syria and Iran.

They like bombing Hamas because they are weak. Syria is weak, but still, they know Syria could launch hundreds of missiles armed with chemical weapons against them... Hezbollah could cause lots of trouble, and Iran could cause lots of trouble in Iraq and Saudi Arabia too... even if they are really weak.

Of course, the impact on the world economy if such a war were to erupt would be disastrous.

And remember this from a few days ago?

U.S. to Use All Options to Stop Nuclear Iran, Israel in Favor of Strikes to Weaken Hizbullah, Hamas

Pentagon and U.S. government officials have uncovered an understanding between Washington and Tel Aviv that commits Israel not to undertake any unilateral military action against Iran in return for a U.S. pledge to abandon the policy of accepting a nuclear Iran and deal with Tehran as a nuclear military power, pan-Arab Al-Hayat newspaper said in a report published Tuesday.

In the corridors of Washington and other European capitals and Israel, war scenarios are being discussed "as if war is inevitable," Qahwaji noted, "despite opposition by quite a few military officials and politicians in the U.S. and the West due to the uncertainties of war, which could be catastrophic for the region and U.S. interests."

Despite disagreement on several points in the scenarios of war, the report goes on to say, many experts and officials still agree on other points, including the idea of provoking war by attempting to inspect a ship in the Gulf waters or provoke Hizbullah into a gunbattle in Lebanon.

The main point of disagreement between U.S. and Israeli officials and experts in the scenarios of war relates to how to deal with Iran's allies -- namely Syria, Hizbullah and Hamas.

While Israeli leaders are in favor of preemptive strikes to weaken Hizbullah and Hamas and perhaps Syria before attacking Iran, U.S. officials and experts prefer crushing the top of the pyramid – Iran -- and deal a heavy military blow to the Persian Gulf nation in the hope of shaking its ability to move and to sow fear among its allies who will recognize the fact that war is real and that the future of their presence is at stake if they choose to support Tehran.

Many U.S. officials believe that the current policy of openness toward Syria will bear fruit through weakening the strategic alliance with Iran. Israel, however, considers such a policy is doomed to fail and continues to prepare for a possible future confrontation in the Golan Heights, the report said..

The rapid pace for arms program reflects fear in Arab Gulf states that an imminent war is on the doors, it concluded.

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I have nothing against the people of Israel but seriously someone needs to put a muzzle on that country.They are always trying to start something over nothing. This seriously reminds me of how our country is. I love this policy of we can do whatever we want but you can't. If they want to port ships off Syria how is this any different then say if the US wanted to port ships off of Israel? Would Syria and other countries claim it to be an act of war? No, but if a country like China or North Korea wanted to port ships off Cuba you can damn well gaurantee we would consider it a threat. I guess Israel is a mini US now just because they know they have the backing of the US they think they can play hardball all the time.

There is some serious issues with that country in general in my opinion. I would love to see how much mouth running Israel would do if America and Britain refused to protect them or back them up.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
What is ultimately at stake here is a long feared broad Middle East war, and it could not come at a worse time.

Regardless of direct involvement or not, if this war happens it will send a powerful and devastating shock-wave through the global economies, and cause disruption in the flow of ME oil, a massive spike in energy prices and shortages that could collapse many already failing economies... Even the almighty USA.

So, everyone would be affected and impacted by this war, therefore everyone should be paying close attention to these events.

Everything possible should be done to prevent this, or to minimize hostilities if something does happen... Regardless of the outcome for Iran and Israel, we all could lose here.

Something to think about.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikeybiznaz

will N. and S. America be the next Oil empire? other than the North Slope we have't used our oil reserves yet have we?

Nope.. Us domestic production of oil has been on the steady decline. Supposedly there is enough oil uubder the US to keep the world going for a few hundred years. Might be longer now that they have this new technology.

All this is asssuming though that numbers arent being played with to justify R and D dollars.

Our largest supplier of oil is actually Canada, and then venezuela (if i remeber right). 25% of our oil comes from mideast sources.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I am in no way taking sides, but it appears Israel is in a lose lose situation. If they allow the ships through they look weak, if they sink them the look like they're starting a war. I personally don't think that Israel is worried about what the world thinks, and imo will do something but hopefully cooler heads will prevail.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q2IN2Y

Its a public warning to Iran.. Its already happened several times before when Iran said they were going to send aid to Gaza. The ships turned around and went back to Iran.

Right now I think Israel might be playing the wrong hand. With all the internal dissent going on in Iran, I think the last thing Israel wants is to shift the focus from the Iranian people revolting to that of rally around the flag since our ship was attacked.It would quickly devolve into an Islam vs. Jewish theme.

If anything they should play that angle.. This is what the Iranian government is doing.. Instead of dealing with domestic issues, he is deploting vessels to Syria to raise tensions.

I am starting to wonder if Iran has underlying motives for this. With the internal dissent vuilding in Iran, the only way to keep power is to be involved in a large scale conflict.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join