It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 57
<< 54  55  56    58  59  60 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

What would the damage be? lol
of the top of my head if fugure and this is a quote "Then the channels of waters were seen, and the foundations of the world were discovered at thy rebuke, O LORD, at the blast of the breath of thy nostrils."

What would the damage be? why biblical of course.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Don't quote me on this but I believe the West element of the split is across from the East Coast to New Madrid. I don't think it is envisioned as cutting through that aquifer.

Thanks however for the information about this. Interesting subject, especially about the depletion.

I think you will find the information you seek in this thread

Cracking an eggshell?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thanks I'll check it out.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Sure has been quiet. Maybe the moon isn't having as much play as I thought it would? The perigee moon occuring after a full moon is strange nonetheless... Well can't say its a bad thing though.

Kathy, the swaying you're describing to me does worry me though, it seems as though that's some deep stuff going on and not some triggers from fracturing.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
According to a theory by Elizabeth K. Gardner of Purdue University, the earthquake in 1811 along the New Madrid Fault occurred because of built up pressure that was released by the erosion event from the Mississippi River, and that there is no new build up of pressure. Written in 2010. See here: geology.com...
So by her words there is no significant pressure left to cause earthquakes. Does this just bring it back to fracting?
edit on 19-2-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I tried to go to sleep early. I couldn't. I had Anmarie's shale driveway running around in my head. Why was her description of her dry crumbly stone driveway now a vision in my brain? Yes, shale is brittle, and pourous.

Fracking. What the heck is that again? I've only watch the videos hundreds of times and read about it another hundred times. It's not like I don't know, so why do I have to sit through the insturctional video in my head.

Fracking fractures the shale and the gas migrates. Add water pressure to create tiny earthquakes and you get more gas migrating. Frack the well several times until you get all the gas to migrate out. Then what? Well, that's the point. They are disposing of the waste water in the old wells. The injection causes the earthquakes. But how?

I thought that is was the micro-quakes from the fracking causing faults to slip. Or the water may lubricate faults. The pressure induced micro-quakes are also a factor. And so are the pressure increases from the injection disposal. These all are in the equation. But the key is the shale itself. And the sandy strada.

Remember since they are using the old spent wells, these shales would be lacking the gas. It migrated out the well. So that leaves pockets. The shale is still porous. Under the great weight above, I'm sure the geologist believe that the layer would be compressed and the vacant pores collapsed. This is probably the case.

But that's not the end of the story. They don't just leave the shale to sit and be happy to panake back into a stable strada. They come back and pump it full of waste water. So you have a porous shale that is now being blasted by high pressure water. What's going to happen? The water will be absorbed. And since it's under tremendous pressure, the ground will swell. Like adding water to a sponge, or one of those dinosaur toys you kids make you buy that when you add water it's suppose to grow tenfold. The shale is swelling. It's expanded past the point before the gas drilling. And if the shale strada reaches a saturation point, the water will force its way into other stradas, and since in Arkansas's case it's sandy, this is also porous and will swell.

There you go. All thank's to Anmarie's driveway and all those educational materials provide by the Natural Gas Producer's Geologists. It's kinda obvious when you put the whole process in question and see the entire sequence of events.

Since this waste-water would swell the strada and soils above, it would also be forcing pockets of methane to the surface. This happens naturally as well. But that's not the case here. The methane that is pushed to the surface can rupture. One rupture was in the river near Ozark and killed 100 000 drum. The other rupture happened under a roost of blackbirds and starlings. The rushing gas made a noise like a demon snake erupting from the bowels of the earth. The birds panicked and took flight. They died from the injuries they sustained during this emergency migration. The birds fled to other states where some died from exhaustion and their injuries during the frenzy.

The pieces are all there. And I followed Sherlock Holme's method. You have your culprit. Now go and get 'em.

edit on 19-2-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
And that is what it is,one big puzzle.
And we,as a community that questions the MSM,and all
are here to try to piece it together,otherwise,
we are just a bunch of sheep being lead to slaughter.
edit on 19-2-2011 by kdog1982 because: spelling

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Dang, I was just thinking it had quieted down. Checked, and other one, about 1.9 popped up. It probably won't make the list.
edit on 20-2-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Okay, told you I would post a pic if I got one. So here it is (quality with the ATS version isn't as good as the original...but oh well, you get the idea)

So after 1.5 hours in freezing temps to get the pics, I spent an hour warming up in the hot tub under the moonlight. Is it possible to get a moon tan???

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Beautiful image wc! Luna has peeking at me thru my window - was blinding me LOL!

Here's your Moontan

edit to add

look at the spikes
www.iris.washington.edu...

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude
Date-Time
Sunday, February 20, 2011 at 07:04:00 UTC
Sunday, February 20, 2011 at 01:04:00 AM at epicenter
Depth
4.9 km (3.0 miles)
Region
ARKANSAS
Distances
2 km (2 miles) E (100°) from Greenbrier, AR
9 km (5 miles) ENE (72°) from Wooster, AR
11 km (7 miles) NW (315°) from Holland, AR
17 km (11 miles) NNE (28°) from Conway, AR
54 km (34 miles) N (357°) from Little Rock, AR
423 km (263 miles) SSW (207°) from St. Louis, MO
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 8.7 km (5.4 miles); depth +/- 0.3 km (0.2 miles)
Parameters
NST= 29, Nph= 44, Dmin=10 km, Rmss=0.98 sec, Gp= 47°,
M-type="Nuttli" surface wave magnitude (mbLg), Version=4
Source
U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center:
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver
Event ID
usb0001he7

edit on 20-2-2011 by berkeleygal because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-2-2011 by berkeleygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Yup...just checked back on GEE and I see they are really starting to roll out now. Where is the moon??

(LOVE that music
)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Well above the horizon, not too certain if it has passed zenith however. I thought things had quieted down for a while now and it seems as though they keep occasionally popping up. The most recent quake is also tied for 2nd shallowest; they range from 4.3 km down to 7.4 km down. I'm not certain if that correlates to anything, but it just jumped out at me so I thought I would make mention of it.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
don't know if this helps or not... but according to my fancy iphone app the moon is in the southern part of the sky its traveled about 55% of its path across the night sky... hope it helps?

also at about 2:30am ish here in Southeast Kentucky... i noticed that the floor registry (vent) in my living room made a noise like it moved... it makes a noise when you walk across it or when the air kicks on... but no one walked across it... nor did the air kick on... but i will note... nothing else in my trailer shook... but it kinda made me think...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
so i guess what i was trying to say with that 55% path thingy about the moon was... its about 5 percent past its zenith

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Glad the driveway helped your thinking out - Friends working together. Now, not to keep you from loosing any more sleep you have to look at an additional side of it. The stone breaks down, add water and it swells but that water/moisture will evaporate. Add more friction, fracking and you get dust then add some more water by means of rain or what have you which will wash away the dust and then you will have a major voids underground (as not every piece will be broken)(The driveways after after wear and tear from vehicles and the elements are back down as if the shale wasn't put down at all in no time - except for the harder pieces which didn't break up).

There is debate on if the New Madrid Fault is locked or settled - either way and especially if it is Lock (I myselft tend to believe the fault line is actually a plate line - funny how we came up with that in your corner and now is being widely talked about - oh no, They don't pay attention to us here) anyway - either ways the activity we are now seeing will effect the "line" one way or another in a major way. At the very, very least, the folks in the surrounding areas of the fracture zone will have lake front property. - at the very, very least and I hope that it stops now and that is all that will become of it. But ya know, we know better than that.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Hey Robin, i was sent over here after posting this link i stumbled on last night. Thought it would interest you in case you havent already seen it!!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Wow WestCoast, what a beautiful picture....makes me miss Cali just more than a lil bit...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Good deal and good night y'all...glad things are working out...

I'll monitor things on my Command Center,,,

That Moon is amazing...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   

OMG no wonder the Moon affects the earthquakes - it is so close and so big. I did not know it came that close at Perigee (
)

Fantastic photo!

I see things have been quieter for the past few hours. (There that has done it!)

I never mentioned this last night but I have added TA.X40 to my signature which is around 60 miles from Guy so now by comparing the two seismos you can see immediately if a quake is local or further away and from that get an idea of size.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Yes this theory about the stress being residual would then leave you with fracking as the cause. Problem is that as with everything in the black art of Geology the priesthood often has disagreements. Whilst most adhere to the mainstream "Church of Plate Tectonics of The Geologists" some are adherents of the "Church of Surge Tectonics of The Geologists" and even fewer (a sort of outcast sect) belong to the "Church of Expanding Earth of The Geologists".

Even within each individual persuasion there are disagreements which is why generally it is not possible to trust what the Geologists say as they don't know and 90% of it is guesswork. Ask then what a rock is and they can tell you. Ask them what is going on inside the earth and most of the time they can't, at least not with 100% certainty. If someone says "trust me I am a geologist" then don't!

In the case of the stress still in the system this article, if correct, would indicate that there should be no 'big one' in the future, but then you take a look at the Farallon plate theory (see the reference list) and that negates this as it would mean there is still subduction going on and thus stress can build up.

The reason for the 'no stress' theory is basically because there is only around 1mm of annual movement they say but since I have not found the actual GPS data yet I can't say if that is apparently correct or not.

In my opinion neither of these theories adequately describes the situation at Guy. Subduction stress is more likely to be over a larger area (not always the case) and thus I would be looking for a local cause, either some particular fault or feature or something like hydraulic fracturing.

As pointed out by Anmarie and Robin, and myself, shale is loose crumbly stuff when exposed to a void - i.e. is not restricted by the weight of material above it. Either way Robin's description of the soaking of the shale with water and the effects of that is for the most part true enough. It cannot be a good thing to do to pump water at high pressure into the system.

Kathy described the sensation of the quakes as rolling, and BobAtHome said - like a water bed. Yes, good descriptions I think. Another poster has made the comment that in the general area there are underground streams. That cannot be a good addition to the mix.

If I had the time and money I would be over there investigating this in person, on the ground so to speak. The Internet is not the best place to research this and it is often difficult to separate truth from fiction or fact from urban legend.

Like Robin, at least in his current mode, I believe this to be the consequence of high pressure injection. This is likely from disposal but this is the same I believe as fracking. Pumping chemicals into the ground is not good anyway,

Trust me, I am not a geologist

new topics

top topics

<< 54  55  56    58  59  60 >>

join