It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: 'Anti-plume' Found Off Pacific Coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Scientists find that earth is sucking up the oceans in spots that they called a "Void" in the ocean floor. This may have major implicatons for plate tectonic research!

www.sciencedaily.com
Now a North American team of scientists has documented for the first time a new phenomenon � the creation of a void in the seafloor that draws in � rather than expels � surrounding seawater.

Oregon State University oceanographer Robert Dziak said the discovery is important because it adds a new wrinkle to scientific understanding of seafloor spreading, the fundamental process of plate tectonics and the creation of ocean crust. Dziak has a dual appointment with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory.

The size of these potential "voids" also intrigues scientists, who wonder how much seawater can be subsumed. If large, or frequent, they could affect surrounding water temperatures and chemical composition, Dziak said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

How many more "Voids" are our there in our oceans? Is this the beggings of something new, or something we have just missed up till now? Will our oceans survive?

Whats scary is I had a dream about this weeks ago! check ATS link below!

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 15-7-2004 by Xeven]

[edit on 7-15-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
That's one weird dream and one weird story! Kind of frightening... I can't imagine this hasn't been happening all along, but still strange scientists are just 'discovering' it. It made me wonder about all the oil we're taking out of the ground and if it has anything to do with it.

Uh.... I wonder where all the wah-wah is going ... when it goes into the 'void' under the crust? Hmmm. Very curious!

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I'd be more concerned about all that water making contact with a fissure open to a magma chamber, like an undersea calrera or mesa. all that water contacting suddenly a newly opened lava plain will cause enourmous build up of pressure......

BOOM!

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
As much as I love space exploration, it kinda seems the ocean always has to take a back seat to discoveries. There has to be TONS of stuff going on in our oceans that we have no idea about, let alone all the species of 'things' down there. Oh well, maybe its better we just leave them alone for now anyways

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I think it's mommy earth trying to cool herself down some...
I mean let's see...co2 is at a higher level that it was before the last cool down earth cycle...
which causes the ice caps to melt...
which cause the salinity in the oceans to decrease...
which causes the water currents to change....
add a giant vortex on the ocean floor sucking up water....
which leads to reduced salinity...
which leads to changes in water currents...
which leads to less warm air coming up from the tropics...
which leads to ICE AGE!!!!

either that or well....
what did your mommy do to you when you abused your toys???
take them away??
well, we abused our water supply....
and mommy is taking it away!!

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
It is obviously the water supply for the underground Nazi supermen in the Hollow Earth. Any fool can see that!*

Levity aside, this is indeed a significant discovery, the implications of which may take more than a little study to understand fully.

The locations of these "anti-plumes" and data regarding their size and flow rates will be important toward grasping their role in the big geophysical picture.

There is definitely more going on than we are aware of.

* Disclaimer: Must be a fool to see that.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
its a secret government conspiracy to flood out all the aliens and people living inside the hollow earth. There should be a mass exodus happening at the poles any day now heheheh (jk)

(woops dint see that nazi post above grrrr)

interesting find

[edit on 15-7-2004 by spangbr]

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by rustiswordz
I'd be more concerned about all that water making contact with a fissure open to a magma chamber, like an undersea calrera or mesa. all that water contacting suddenly a newly opened lava plain will cause enourmous build up of pressure......

BOOM!

That depends on the depth. I can't remember the exact depth, but once you reach a certain depth, pressure is so immense that that just won't happen - the lava will actually continue to move, without cooling for quite a while, the pressure is so enormous that gases will not escape. Think of it as a state of equilibrium.

Anyways, Lava is spewing out of the ocean depths all the time, and you don't see these "BOOMs" that you are talking about. If the lava vent is close to the the surface, all you really get is a bunch of continous steam and a bunch of hot water. There are underwater explosions, but not on the scale you are thinking. Most of the big problems in the ocean are earthquakes and landslides - those we must be worried about, because they can cause tsunamis. :-D

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I remember reading something about thousands of underwater caves somewhere on the coust og America. (for the life of me I cant remember where.) What disturbs me about this is this recent discovery. What is this plume also exists near this area. A sudden extraction of millions of tons of water may cause massive sinkholes to occur, submerging acres and acres of land mass.

top topics

join