It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Box in your car?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Now this is a little creepy. Although I do understand that you can already get quite alot of info off newer cars computers as it stands. But add gps with wifi and the ability to shut cars down remotely and to me that spells way to much control in someone else's hands. Glad I havean older car I guess......for now.

Government Touts Crash Recorders, But Privacy Advocates Sound Alarm Read more: www.foxnews.com...

In the wake Toyota’s deadly problem with sticking accelerators, a government proposal that would require new cars to have onboard data recorders is pitting safety concerns against privacy concerns. The Department of Transportation and the National Highway Transportation Administration have found that faulty electronics did not cause the accelerator problems that led to 50 deaths and the 8 million Toyota recalls last year. They arrived at that conclusion based partly on “event data recorders” installed in the vehicles. The recorders are similar to the “black boxes” that provide so much valuable information in the wake of a plane crash. Installed in an estimated 80 percent to 90 percent of new car models, the devices record data such as acceleration, braking, fuel flow and operation of airbags. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Just wait till they chip everyone, then they can shut you down remotely.

Fun fun.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by 007Polytoks

And I am sure the tsa is just drooling for this. Imagine all the fun they will have with it.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

They have been trying for years to get this going. Some insurance companies like progressive give you a discount on your insurance if you get them. And I believe On-Star already does much of this.

The day they make all new cars have this is the day I quit buying new cars.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

Great point about the onstar forgot about them.
Like I said I don't have a new car so I tend to forget some of the options that come standard nowdays.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Its just sad that all these amazing achievements have been abused by TPTB.

RFID chips could truly change everything for the better, I am so against them because I know exactly how easily they will be abused, but at the same time I cant help but acknowledge that they are brilliant ideas, and one day may serve to better all of mankind.

Imagine the possibility's of an RFID chip that would only be used for good.

It boggles the mind to think of the positive things we could do with this tech.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

these devices have been in your cars for about 5 to 10 years already -north american made.they record your fuel consumption ,speed brakes etc. now do you know why the insurance companies know who is a bad driver other than your record .same with the cell phone it tells them exactly what time you were on and who you where talking to . what else have they wired so that they can chip you without ever having to insert the needle .

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Something else to consider. If you finance your new car, many banks and finance companies are putting gps trackers in the car in case you do not make your payments and they need to recover the vehicle. I know this for a fact, because I do it for several car lots as a side job. Even some of the "buy here pay here" lots are doing this. Now I do not buy new cars, my newest vehicle is over 20 years old, but I am betting that they do not disclose to you that a tracking device has been installed.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Makes you wonder if all the problems that led up to the Toyota recall were really an "accident." If this is the excuse they are using to put these things in cars, then I highly doubt it.

I had one of the Progressive things in my car... and you better believe I researched the hell out of it before installing it! It claims not to have a GPS or to be able to track you in any way at all. It claims to not even record speed, but to record hard breaks and mileage, so that they can give you a discounted rate if they think you deserve it. I kept it there for a few weeks and then took it out. Got a little paranoid, regardless of their claims, lol.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

It does not need to have a gps of it's own. I assume that you financed your car?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Nope, paid cash. I lucked out, buddy! lol!

Just so happened that my brother-in-law was selling it and gave me a hell of a deal. It was five years old an in perfect condition, so I did good, lol.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

Good deal. Five years? Is it a GM product? Does it have the "onstar" hardware? It does not matter if you have the service active or not.
One other question. Did your brother finance it when he bought it? I am not sure if finance companies were doing this 5 years ago, I started doing the installs 3 years ago.
edit on 10-2-2011 by sonofliberty1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by picrat

these devices have been in your cars for about 5 to 10 years already -north american made.they record your fuel consumption ,speed brakes etc. now do you know why the insurance companies know who is a bad driver other than your record .same with the cell phone it tells them exactly what time you were on and who you where talking to . what else have they wired so that they can chip you without ever having to insert the needle .

No problem here, car is 11yrs old and I threw my cell phone out last year.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I love killing threads sometimes. Fact: various cars and trucks for the last 15 plus years have had "data recorders" better known as an "EDR" system. EDR stands for "Event Data Recorder", their capability has evolved over the last decade with the onset of systems like "OnStar" and the likes. Insurance companies love these little guys because it tattle tales on the driver like no eye witness ever could.

Here is a list of all makes and models that have contained them since 1994:

Cars Containing An EDR

What is real interesting to me is that the main company that uses these devices happens to be the one that the US government bought out.... Quite interesting if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeaderOfProgress
I love killing threads sometimes. Fact: various cars and trucks for the last 15 plus years have had "data recorders" better known as an "EDR" system. EDR stands for "Event Data Recorder", their capability has evolved over the last decade with the onset of systems like "OnStar" and the likes. Insurance companies love these little guys because it tattle tales on the driver like no eye witness ever could.

Cars Containing An EDR

What is real interesting to me is that the main company that uses these devices happens to be the one that the US government bought out.... Quite interesting if you ask me.

OK did they utilize wifi in these recorders for instant or random access? Sure a data storage device is one thing but accessing that information without having to plug into an interface is a whole other. Not sure what you are trying to kill here in this thread smartass?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel

Originally posted by LeaderOfProgress

Cars Containing An EDR

OK did they utilize wifi in these recorders for instant or random access? Sure a data storage device is one thing but accessing that information without having to plug into an interface is a whole other. Not sure what you are trying to kill here in this thread smartass?

LOL, i love being called a smartass. Anyways people make threads like this to create a fear in people on this site, the people on this site are jumpy enough already. The face of the matter is that the government has stepped in on your behalf and has passed legislation that requires auto manufactures to willfully reveal to the end consumer if your new vehicle is equiped with one of these. This law goes into effect for all vehicles made from 2011 and on. I don't like it when people try to panic others with "big brothers" watching you threads. There are people here that do not need the extra stress.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianoprazeThe day they make all new cars have this is the day I quit buying new cars.

Same here!

Things like this start out innocuous and seem like a good idea for safety; however, soon thereafter the insurance companies will be using the data to get out of paying claims by citing speed in excess of posted limit (or whatever they can use) at the time of the accident.

Then you personally will be liable losing your assets for something you wouldn't in any other circumstance risk.

I don't have onstar because the invasion outweighs the benefit. I will get it for my kid when she starts driving for obvious reasons then of course when she turns 18 after being informed of risk vs. reward she can make her own call.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66

Originally posted by pianoprazeThe day they make all new cars have this is the day I quit buying new cars.

Same here!

Things like this start out innocuous and seem like a good idea for safety; however, soon thereafter the insurance companies will be using the data to get out of paying claims by citing speed in excess of posted limit (or whatever they can use) at the time of the accident.

Then you personally will be liable losing your assets for something you wouldn't in any other circumstance risk.

I don't have onstar because the invasion outweighs the benefit. I will get it for my kid when she starts driving for obvious reasons then of course when she turns 18 after being informed of risk vs. reward she can make her own call.

They have been using them to refuse claims for over 15 years.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeaderOfProgressThey have been using them to refuse claims for over 15 years.

Probably cursing myself here but just goes to show you how long its been since I made an insurance claim - LOL!

I haven't had a ticket or made an insurance claim in over 20 years.

I wasn't aware that they were already at that stage - thanks!

edit on 10/2/2011 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

LOL, i love being called a smartass. Anyways people make threads like this to create a fear in people on this site, the people on this site are jumpy enough already. The face of the matter is that the government has stepped in on your behalf and has passed legislation that requires auto manufactures to willfully reveal to the end consumer if your new vehicle is equiped with one of these. This law goes into effect for all vehicles made from 2011 and on. I don't like it when people try to panic others with "big brothers" watching you threads. There are people here that do not need the extra stress.

No sorry no fear here. If you haven't noticed this thread has but one flag, which to me suggests that not many are in fear of this or it's not that dramatic. But as I said before, you add the tsa into the mix with all the powers they are being granted and you have the potential for major abuse and problems in the future. So concerned yes in fear no.

<<   2 >>

join