It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Threat To Game That Makes Hitler A Top Trump!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Threat To Game That Makes Hitler A Top Trump!

news.sky.com

The German makers of a card game based on history's worst dictators have been threatened with legal action over Adolf Hitler.
The Top Trumps-style game, called Tyrannen (or Tyrants, in English) is made up of 32 cards of murderous despots from the 20th century.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
The story goes on to say that prosecutors in nuremberg are investigating because of the use of a swastika on the Hitler card.
Personally i cant see a problem with this,what better way to learn about history for kids than a form of card game,open up any history book about world war 2 and you are guaranteed to see a swastika symbol!!!

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8/2/11 by lektrofellon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by lektrofellon

Nope i don't see a problem, the game appears to be about the most scumbag dictator so it's basically mocking Hitler while teaching kids a little something about history.

People just overreact a lot.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Thats very true, but there is a case for looking slightly deeper into the reasoning behind this card game. First of all, if the Hitler card is actualy a top trump, in that it beats the other dictators then that means that in order to have the most powerful card, one must have a Hitler card. While it is certainly true that there are few dictators in all of history that could claim to be as savage and moraly repugnant as Hitler, it is certainly the case that should kids play this game, they will equate Hitler with victory . Now you and I both know that MOST kids can seperate game ethics and rules, from real life ones. But there are those who arent capable of these seperations, and for those, it would be a silly idea to provide an entertainment medium which sees the Nazis as the victor, and the highest power in the game.
Im sure in that context you can see the problem?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Yes i see what you're saying,by getting the hitler card you win and make the nazis the top card i can see a bit of a problem in that but as the poster above you said, i believe its more about mocking him, after all the game is called Tyrants!!!

Edit:if it was called Greatest Dictators then i would be seriously concerned

edit on 8/2/11 by lektrofellon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

I can also see the mockery, but that might be a little bit to clever for youngsters. However, how many little kids want to dress up as Darth Vader, or play act at being Cybermen from Doctor Who? How many kids love to take on the role of the dark forces?
I guess I just dont think that this is a clear mockery, its too subtle for a kids game.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   

I see what you're saying a lot of kids would'nt realize they are meant to mock,maybe they would be better used in a classroom on history,it is a bit of a strange topic for top trumps though,what happened to good old sports cars! lol

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
This card game was made in Germany, where it is illegal to publicly show the swastika (except for scholarly reasons). They broke a pretty clear and definite law in that one I'm afraid.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
QUICK! CENSOR HISTORY! THAT WILL CHANGE IT AND MAKE EVERYTHING BETTER! BLACK OUT THE SWASTIKA AND MAKE IT ILLEGAL! THAT WILL BRING BACK THE SIX MILLION JEWS THAT WERE KILLED!

This is a logical course of action to me, obviously.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Germans are kinda weird about their history.
They don't like people being overtly patriotic even with their current flag.
I read a story of a German man during the World Cup who repeatedly had his large German flag torn down by other Germans. So yeah, I think they are still a little sensitive.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Nothing wrong with it unless the card company violated state laws by printing a banned image. But, to my understanding, the ban was on ACTUAL Third Reich war memorabilia? hmm. Anyways, this is just more over-analyzing done to promote more fear-mongering. We need to educate the outh of today about WW2 and well, truth hurts sometimes and everything isn't always pink bows, lollipops and rainbows.

Just my two cents.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by PETROLCOIN

History, in what regards to this subject, as not only already been censured, it has been turned into Propaganda, and repeated lies (in the best tradition of Goebbels).
The Swastika, which I am trying to revive, is a universal symbol of protection, good luck, and prosperity, dating back thousands of years, long before there where any Nazis, or Christians, for that matter. When the anti-Nazi rhetoric rises, it is above all the Sacred Swastika, the main target...it would be an issue to long to clarify in this quick post.

P.S. - Congrats on the great victory, the cup has returned to it's rightful place: Titletown!!!

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I'm sure the makers of the game are well aware that displaying a swastika in any form is illegal in both Germany and Austria which is why they only used a partial image of it, to try and get round the law.

The German (and Austrian) postwar criminal code makes the public showing of the Hakenkreuz (the swastika) and other Nazi symbols illegal and punishable, except for scholarly reasons. It is even censored from the lithographs on boxes of model kits, and the decals that come in the box. Modellers seeking an accurate rendition often have to either stencil on the marking, or purchase separate decals. It is also censored from the reprints of 1930s railway timetables published by the Reichsbahn. The eagle remains, but appears to be holding a solid black circle between its talons. The swastikas on Hindu and Jain temples are exempt, as religious symbols cannot be banned in Germany.

The problem the police have I guess is that if they let this company do it then it opens the gates for other groups i.e. neo nazis to do it too

Swastika wiki

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
This is really dumb.
Those swastikas didn't kill people, misguided Germans did.
What are they trying to do erase all traces of the past so it can happen again?
Maybe next time someone will ruin smiley faces for us.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Yes, but seeing the problem and having a right legally to be a dictator and censor info and learning are not the same thing.

Can you imagine makers of games, creators of animes or manga's writers of books, artists of all kinds, having to submit their ideas and work before a panel for approval? Can you see the intrinsic problem with that?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
There is a profound difference between using swastikas for educational or artistic reasons, and actually propagating nazism. Only the second case should be censored. Altough I can understand why German laws are a bit over the top in this..

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
World War II really screwed some societies up.

It is true that the swastika itself was usurped. It seems that there could be two actual reasons that they want it to remain 'verbotten:'

1 - to avoid glamorizing the errant NAZI movement, and
2 - to avoid further destroying the roots of the symbol which had little or nothing to do with the then German-elites social engineering horrors.

I suspect that neo-Nazi's and other such fascists wouldn't be too happy about the game that identifies the swastika with 20th century war crimes.... after all... they seem to want to keep that stolen symbol for themselves.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The game should keep Hitler, but a completely sanitized version of him. No swastika. Maybe even his mustache should get slightly bigger. Perhaps they should lighten his hair color. Soften the scowl on his face.

Now go ahead and test the kids, and ask them to rank the 32 monsters in order of horridness, without getting to look at the names, just the pictures. If the sanitization was a success, German children won't rank Hitler too high, and everyone will be happy!

Germans should be so ashamed of what they let happen to them. In fact, maybe there's just enough shame there left-over so that one day, it can burst forth yet again, and the Elite can get even more mileage out of them.

JR

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Germany after WW2 has become one of the least free countries in the world. It seems as if Israel now controls them, and issues their laws. Where is the freedom? This is a game?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I was under the impression, obviously misguided, that Germany, Austria, and France where supposed to be Republics, with freedom of speech, and expression, for EVERYBODY - even the idiots, and fools.
Since in a true Republic it is the duty of the Courts, the Parliaments, and the Government, to protect the freedom of the People to hold controversial, and unpopular views and thoughts, and to be able to freely express them...I guess I was wrong...

Germany, Austria, and France, are nothing more then dictatorships of the majority...suppressing all forms of dissent. These countries are ruled by parties that are no more then Puppets of the Zionist Beast. These "countries" are no more then Israel's minions, in the EU. They are no better then Stalin's Russia, or Mao's PR China.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join