It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Social Disease of Embracing Ignorance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
First and foremost, I have been an ATS reader for many years. I apologize that it has taken this long for me to consciously participate - I issue no excuses. I have forgotten my original UN and PW, therefore I created this new handle.

Deny Ignorance - A term that I recognize as CRITICAL for openness to the TRUTH.

I recently came across a situation that I use to, in my adolescent years, encounter regularly. My girlfriend, who works with an entirely female staff, was engaged in a group conversation with the women who she works with. In the midst of this conversation, she felt stereotyped as a "conspiracy nut" based on ideas of mine that she has shared with her co-workers in recent months.

We have been dating and living with each other for about a year and a half now, so she is fully aware of my curiosity to explore new ideas and "taboo" topics that most would roll their eyes at. I, personally, haven't cared about what folks think about me, my ideas, or theories that I wish to discuss with others. I do it anyway and see what comes from it. My girlfriend seems to feel misrepresented and alienated by her co-workers because of what she has shared with them since she has been employed there.

The reason that I am posting this story is because I find that this model of discrimination leads to a normalization of true group denial and ignorance of curiosity and exploration. By all means - this is just an example of the ongoing ideology of "If it SOUNDS ridiculous, then it MUST be crazy!"… But I've never actually quantified its significance from an outside perspective like this time.

This time, it's not me being called a "conspiracy theorist"… It's my girlfriend (who really only listens to me out of the kindness of her heart). I'm sure that she's talked to her co-workers about some of the theories I discuss with her in a jokingly manner... but now, because she has expressed my views in the confidence of her own peers, her views have been unequivocally associated with mine.

My point is that our society in general is still in concrete denial of the idea that exploration of new or outrageous theories is without value and is not even worth considering.

I will NEVER stop conversing about theories or ideologies that some may find to be ridiculous, because our species would have never gotten to this point of awareness without it!!

WE CANNOT BE AFRAID TO SOUND WRONG. The discussion of various topics (whatever they may be) from a 360˚ angle (and in between) is IMPERATIVE for the evolution of thought and advanced ideologies.

ATS's motto - "Deny Ignorance" has warmed my heart ever since I read it. We MUST be able to discuss any topic we see fit… or ignorance has won…

This concept clearly strikes home with me. But with so many others, such as my girlfriend's co-workers, it is lost in the trap of social acceptance. I would like to elaborate by saying these women are not young, but of all ages; therefore there is NO EXCUSE for the petty actions which they engage in. We as humans, living on a rock orbiting a flaming ball of gas, should dismiss NO idea without considering EVERY angle.

Unless we embrace this idea of "Deny Ignorance"… The evolution of our current ideologies will cease to progress. And progress is what our civilized social society needs most.

To this - I salute Above Top Secret for being the leading forum to express ideas and theories which, elsewhere, would never even be considered. MOST of us here have felt a similar feeling of social alienation for expressing our open thoughts. I also salute YOU! For standing up for the right to express your ideas and theories.

DENY IGNORANCE AT ALL COSTS.

And NEVER be afraid to express yourself.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by peacenotgreed

Unless we embrace this idea of "Deny Ignorance"… The evolution of our current ideologies will cease to progress. And progress is what our civilized social society needs most.

To this - I salute Above Top Secret for being the leading forum to express ideas and theories which, elsewhere, would never even be considered. MOST of us here have felt a similar feeling of social alienation for expressing our open thoughts. I also salute YOU! For standing up for the right to express your ideas and theories.

DENY IGNORANCE AT ALL COSTS.

And NEVER be afraid to express yourself.

G'day and welcome to ATS..

Deny Ignorance is a great motto but ALL information must be proven..
Creating a conspiracy is one thing, what ATS does is ask for proof..

I hope you find your proof here..

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Taboo only defines and identifies your weaknesses.
If a person can't talk about something then that says something about the person.
Welcome to ats,see ya on the boards.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Girlfriend must really love you, because she is probably so tired of hearing the same record being played over & over again. And now your paranoia is affecting her relationships at the workplace, where most people spend the bulk of their awake hours. That is probably really uncomfortable for her.

Before you scare her away with your POV's please do make a real effort to spend time speaking with her about the many topics in life that have nothing to do with conspiracies and the SHTF. Find out what she is all about, and take her to on some dates that cater directly to her interests. I know going to 'chick flicks' and attending Flower or Crafts shows / expos make most guys want to slice open a main vein, but it can't be all about us, man.

Well-intentioned people should be aware that not everyone wants to hear about being saved or being enlightened to the topics that concern the speaker. Plant your seeds gently, lovingly, and see if it grows to fruit. But meanwhile, spread that seed to others too. Like-minded people will be attracted to you, eager to what you have to say. Other people, not so much. But at least you won't drive them crazy with your personal concerns.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

she is interested fool. she knows she has been asleep. if she was joking about all the dumb stuff you tell her, they wouldnt call her a conspiracy theorist, they would just gossip and call YOU the conspiracy nut.

i think she wanted her co-workers to think for themselves a little bit, and they are totally not having it.
i can promise that if you talk to her one on one, she will tell you that she was just trying to do the same thing for her friends that you had done for her.

trust me, if you went a week or so without leaking ANY info to her, i bet she would get real nosey
i also wager she tried to defend you to her coworkers too. i think you are on the right track, and again, you have her hooked, and u will notice if you look

if everyone listened when someone presented a conspiracy, and didnt just roll their eyes and shut down, we wouldnt be here right now. the fact is, you cant convince everyone. some people you cant even convince to be a skeptic.

sounds like you need to explain to her what the media has done to the image of people like you and me.
also need to explain that it is the trade-off of knowing information (depending on the information) that raises you above the awareness of all the others.
naturally, the ignorant will deny ignorance, but does that change anything?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by peacenotgreed
In the midst of this conversation, she felt stereotyped as a "conspiracy nut" based on ideas of mine that she has shared with her co-workers in recent months.

You will find the worst work places are all female, even females do not like that environment, lol.

The ptb have got the word conspiracy to frighten people into people being quiet on stuff that is real. While they want people talking garbage. Its just something you have to accept if you work with people, that they will be ignorant to subjects and people for the most part never get to know anything real in lifes, beyond love and there obsession for money.

Its amazing, that i could talk about my life to people which is all true, but they would think you are nuts, as they are conditioned to think this, lol. I am fortunate enough to know never to work in a all female environment.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

ATS's motto - "Deny Ignorance" has warmed my heart ever since I read it. We MUST be able to discuss any topic we see fit… or ignorance has won…

Mine too, I am quite happy to say. I see the thing you are talking about too, and to me it is plain stupidity. Follow along here. Ignorance means a person does not know, and can be taught. Stupidity is a choice a person makes not to learn things above and beyond a certain level. for instance, I have heard people say, "I graduated high school, that is all I need to learn and know." And this, "I read the Bible only, it is the only real truth." I come in here every day, and I see members who are really genuine, and post their thoughts, knowledge and experiences. I see the trolls come and say, "evidence please!", and "prove it!," and other, not so kind responses. We live in The Age of Enlightenment and very few are actually enlightened.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I believe if we want to change people's attitudes we have to lead by example. We must not shut up. We must be loud and clear in our statements. Let's spark so much talk about controversial topics that it becomes the norm and people learn to embrace new ideas and think critically again.

new topics

top topics

join