It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If God is so powerful, why doesn't he eliminate evil?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
If he really does exist, why doesn't God just eliminate the adversary and be done with it? I would if I were God. If I had all of these children, and I were God, I wouldn't allow something that was pure evil to mess with them. Why does God?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by EssenSieMich

He has, repeatedly and will do so again before too long. We are deciding our own fates on a daily basis, but i think you already know this.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
bECAUSE gOD is eVIL... noT TO SAY THAT goD IS EVIL IN NATURE JUST THE HUMAN INTERPRETATION of eVIL IS whAT GOD pROGRAMMed as obstacles for the immortal Soul to overcome since IN the long run the SOUl is eternal and MOrtality is JUst a TEst for THe soul IN its stages of reincarnation in order to achieve higher levels of physical consciousness!
edit on 6-2-2011 by thisisnotaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Because life has to be perfectly balnced.. You have to have light and dark, hot and cold, good and evil.. Etc..
If it wasn't like that it just wouldn't work.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

How many accounts do you have now?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
You want God to get rid of all the humans than? lol There is no evil just ignorance of people, God is unconditional
in every sense of love, Everything else is human fear in ignorance.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

So you know the mind of god?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
It's not God that's the problem. It's us. He gave us free will.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Good and evil is a pair of opposites. God doesn't eliminate one or another of a pair. He either unites them or cancels them out in a transcendent coincidentia oppositorum.

As long as we are in time and space, we are not transcendent. So the pairs of opposites are not united. They are spread out across an immanent spectrum. Like a rainbow.

edit on 6-2-2011 by Student X because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

So if you had children that you loved endlessly, would you be the type of parent who took away every single choice your child could have or would you let your child live free and make choices of their own?

Ultimately all go back to the creator, but its through love for us all that there is good with bad...

I'm not a believer so much in christianity or other religions, i tend to have my own view and incorporate my own beliefs at the same time.

I as a parent would rather allow my child to have freedom and choice in the things he does because i love him and want him to experience all that he can. I will always be there for support should he need it though, just as god is.

Just my opinion though

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
God will eliminate evil - in heaven. You have to die first to find out your fate. If you're evil on earth then you won't have a chance to be evil in heaven. Earth is just a testing ground to determine your true and real fate.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Student X

Good and evil is a pair of opposites. God doesn't eliminate one or another of a pair. He either unites them or cancels them out in a transcendent coincidentia oppositorum.

As long as we are in time and space, the pairs of opposites are spread out across an immanent spectrum. Like a rainbow.

I suppose then that if good and evil are opposites or opposite pairs then that would imply that they are equal. So then why would God say that he is all powerful, the Alpha and the Omega unless what he is actually saying is that he himself has two natures - one that is good, and one that is evil. Therefore the evil is not alien to God, but an equal part of God, and as man has been created in his image man would also be equally good and evil.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

But for every negative action, something positive can come of it, its your outlook that makes it good or bad, knowing yourself frst would help.

If there was no bad, you wouldnt know what good was

If there were no lies, you wouldnt know truth

They occur because they have to occur, for the betterment of everyone (IMO)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Simple -

1. Free will, we have a choice. To coin a phrase, "Do unto others as you would have done to you" or not, defining good and evil through action and allowing us the scope for development to a higher state.

2. You could also look at from the point of view that without evil how do we define good? and therefore it is an essential component in the great scheme of things.

3. Or to please another group - he doesn't because he doesn't exist, mankind creates the concept of good and evil and that concept is constantly changing based on popular consensus.

My personal choice is 1.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by EssenSieMich

I suppose then that if good and evil are opposites or opposite pairs then that would imply that they are equal. So then why would God say that he is all powerful, the Alpha and the Omega unless what he is actually saying is that he himself has two natures - one that is good, and one that is evil. Therefore the evil is not alien to God, but an equal part of God, and as man has been created in his image man would also be equally good and evil.

Because God is both transcendent and immanent. You are right, from our perspective evil is not alien to God. The adversary is an aspect of Divinity.

When immanent, the good aspect of Divinity doesn't have the power to eliminate the evil aspect of Divinity and vice-versa.

When transcendent, that pair of opposites doesn't even exist.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Because if "God" created the law of freewill, then for him to intervene whenever he felt like it would mean that he would be going against the rules of his own law and would therefore render it void.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

But for every negative action, something positive can come of it, its your outlook that makes it good or bad, knowing yourself frst would help.

If there was no bad, you wouldnt know what good was

If there were no lies, you wouldnt know truth

They occur because they have to occur, for the betterment of everyone (IMO)

IMO they are essential but ultimately we need to drop duality in order to be at one, but that's a whole new discussion.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Because there is no God.

If he does not exist then there is no chance of him eliminating evil.

The evil in society is a byproduct of our society. How do we eliminate that evil, by getting rid of the greed, corruption and selfishness of society. If both parents did not have to work to support a family home just to get by that would be a start in the right direction.

What in your opinion is evil? I would like a definition in your opinion of what you think evil is.

Pred...

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

This is an interesting question and one that I have asked on several occasions.

I asked this question to a friend of mine who is of a particular faith and he stated that God has betrothed free will on all men. Therefore they can choose to be evil or they can choose to be good.

God does not create evil, because he has betrothed freewill, so he does not interfere when evil things happen. God cannot be blammed for the evil things that happen, but can take credit for all the good things.

It's a strange rule in my opinion, and with so much evil going on in the world, I guess we need to offset this with good deeds.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I think a more important question is why would "Satan" punish bad people surely hell is heaven for bad people!

To answer your question "it" (God) can't because maybe it's an out dated concept.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join