It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who killed the honey bee?, watch bbc4

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
hey guys theres a great programme on looking into the problem, just thought I would give a heads up
very interesting
edit on 5-2-2011 by jumpingbeanz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Is there a link for those of us who do not get bbc4? Maybe a streaming site? Article? Something?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Thanks for the link, I don't know for a fact, but it looks similar to an American program on PBS.

www.pbs.org...

The link you provided says I am not allowed to view the program at this time.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

thanks it's probably because if you live in another country other than the uk is why it probably won't show, the youtube link should work.

well the jist of what I am watching is basically saying pesticides are making them forget where they live and leave the queen to die and some have had a virus, will have to carry on watching

oh and britain has lost a third of it's bees....

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Indian scientists have proven that a microwave cellphone tower near a bee hive will collapse the colony.The microwave towers went on here in 98 and thats when the bees,butterflies and ladybirds dissapeared but hey whats a few species the US mobile,text,sms market is $50 billion alone.If you have any kids tell them to be brain surgeons it will be a huge market when all those brain tumours start manifesting.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by anglodemonicmatrix

it had one guy in the programme say that in the city where he keeps his bees they do just fine, now usually if a mast could kill them then how can they live in a town where there are probably masts on every big building
strange

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jumpingbeanz

OMG!!! did you say some bees had a virus?? man, are tptb trying to make Zombie bees? could zombue bees still make honey.

had to lighten it up, this bee thing is truly scary, i love honey, and pollinated plants!!

why don't the sheeple see this is way more serious than most other things, bees are HUGELY VITAL!!

anyone who contributed to bee death in any way are guilty of attempted murder of life thru gross negligence. the chemists making this stuff should be given the electric chair..

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

have you ever noticed that bees are also attracted to theme parks and the theme parks have drowners which kill them too, also this last year they had removed hives and destroyed them,.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
good subject, no allergies, pollinating, I like eating- whats not to like? I am in firm supportament thereof

The naturally occurring hydrogen peroxide promotes healing and reduces scarring as it is slowly released into the wound. Honey helps to fight off infection in this manner and also reduces the incidences of scarring.

Many people promote the use of honey as an anti allergen. The theory behind this is that as honey contains small amounts of the pollen, if you eat a small amount of honey every day you should become desensitised to the pollen and helps your body build antibodies towards the pollens. This works best if you buy honey from a local producer, as the local bees will have been exposed to the same pollens that are found in your area.. There is no scientific research that I could find to back up these claims other than the testimonials of hundreds of people who have tried it and swear by it.

It can apparently lower blood pressure and prevent heart attacks. It is recommended that the honey be eaten with cinnamon daily to help reduce blood pressure and cholesterol. There has been some preliminary research done that may support this but it is currently inconclusive. www.urbansprout.co.za...

edit on 5-2-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Pesticides kill insects, bees are an insect. Monsanto does not want to admit that roundup does kill bees, but that is what it is made to do. With Monsanto trying to monopolise food production with GM and terminator seeds it does not need bees so it does not care if they die off. The public backlash is not good for business, but with a healthy dose of disinformation people are still debating until it is too late.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Thankfully, I still have lots of honey bees here. I have lots of flowers and some berry plants (strawberries, blackberries) that they really like as do many other little critters.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Did the special mention genetically modified food or bugs at all? This is an old story, but there's some very interesting information there. About genetically modified insects, food, and pesticides. The thing that makes most sense to me is that the bees can't survive on fake food. And this article talks about fake bugs too. www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Did the special mention genetically modified food or bugs at all? This is an old story, but there's some very interesting information there. About genetically modified insects, food, and pesticides. The thing that makes most sense to me is that the bees can't survive on fake food. And this article talks about fake bugs too. www.sciencedaily.com...

A similar documentary was on in US several months ago about this. I dont remember which station, PBS or TLC maybe. Anyways, I do remember them talking about pesticides and modified foods. There were some particular beekeepers they were interviewing. Really weird was that they said after the bees move on, other critters would eat the leftover honey. Nothing was touching the honey left over. Not even ants.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by maybee

So a sign that the honey was somehow defective. It might be a solid assumption that this honey was either tainted by something (disease or poison) or just might not be nutritious (so why bother). Still, corporations messing with the food chain and introducing not only fake food like this but also introducing new pesticides targeted specifically for the diseases their reengineered crops are susceptible to are at the very least suspect. And what if they found in studies that the real bees and other beneficial insects stayed away from their crops? Would their "logical" solution to that problem might be to engineer fake bees that do not stay away? Just a vicious circle. Their attempts at "improving" and/or creating a monopoly over our food supply must be stopped.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

reply to post by maybee

So a sign that the honey was somehow defective. It might be a solid assumption that this honey was either tainted by something (disease or poison) or just might not be nutritious (so why bother). Still, corporations messing with the food chain and introducing not only fake food like this but also introducing new pesticides targeted specifically for the diseases their reengineered crops are susceptible to are at the very least suspect. And what if they found in studies that the real bees and other beneficial insects stayed away from their crops? Would their "logical" solution to that problem might be to engineer fake bees that do not stay away? Just a vicious circle. Their attempts at "improving" and/or creating a monopoly over our food supply must be stopped.

In the past few months I've stopped buying meat at the chain retail grocery stores and go to this little family owned grocery store that only buys locally. It's amazing how different it tastes. Also chicken breasts are really chicken sized and not turkey sized. I mean you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that some of the stuff sold as food is just not good for you.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
You're right. There's a huge difference. Most GM stuff (particularly fruits and vegetables) tastes and lasts like nothing or at least nothing like the real thing. It sure looks pretty though. As if that's all that matters. It's pretty easy to tell if you've been around long enough to taste real food and now have to deal with what they're peddling these days. Thing is, younger people who have nothing to compare will accept it as normal. And that's both scary and sad.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

And you know, most people can grow something no matter where they live. If you have a sunny window,or even a small balcony you can plant the little cherry tomatoes in a pot. Also herbs can be planted indoors or out. Last year someone had a cool thread on here with pics of vegetables he grew outside in the alley where he worked. They were in all kinds of containers. Wish I could remember which thread or would have bookmarked it.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by maybee

Saw that thread! Getting heirloom seeds is getting harder and harder to do though too. Many GM seeds are also modified so that the plants that grow from them don't produce seeds capable of reproducing, This forces us to buy new seeds from them every year. New and "improved," no doubt. One time use. More greedy activity.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

reply to post by maybee

Saw that thread! Getting heirloom seeds is getting harder and harder to do though too. Many GM seeds are also modified so that the plants that grow from them don't produce seeds capable of reproducing, This forces us to buy new seeds from them every year. New and "improved," no doubt. One time use. More greedy activity.

There are some gardening websites that sell the heirloom plants/seeds. Also, if you know anyone who has a garden or small farm, maybe ask them. I also love to get flower starts from people. Probably half or more of my flowers, I got starts from someone. The next time you see someone cleaning out their flowerbeds, maybe just stop and offer to take whatever their getting rid of. I've actually done that before,
I can always find a spot for a new plant somewhere

<<   2 >>

join