It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grounbreaking uk crime map, available from today...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Millions if Britons can now check the crime rate in their street online.
A groundbreaking police website available from today contains detailed crime maps.
It provides a breakdown of figures for towns, neighbourhoods and individual streets.
Crimes are split into six categories: violent crime, robbery, vehicle crime, anti social behavior and "other" crime.
The latter category includes all sex offended to avoid victims being identified from the statistics.
The website reveals there were 200,000 incidents of anti social behavior in England and wales in December- or 6,500 every day.
Britains guide to local crime is the worlds first. Several u.s cities like Los angeles, already publish street by street crime figures.
But this is the first time they have been published nationally. The site is also available on mobile phones. It will include information about neighborhood police.
Home secretary Theresa may said "people are going to welcome the fact they can really see what's happening in their area.
"I think it will have an impact. This is about fighting crime together. And it gives people a tool to hold the police to account"
She dismissed claims that the crime maps would frighten people and could drive down house prices.

The crime map can be found at www.police.uk

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Although this is a great resource and contains a wealth of information.. Not sure if this is a good idea or not.
It could affect people who try to sell there homes in certain areas and could cause some particularly elderly or vulnerable to be afraid to go outdoors.
Especially as anti social behavior will be included, which could be minor offences as making noise, drunk and disorderly or minor disputes with neighbors.. On the flip side could be positive for people who are looking to move to an area, can easily find crime rates for the proposed area they want to move to.. Especially if they have children.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
BUT you can look at it in another light. Could it be profiling same as the sex offender registry? It may be a good to calm your nerves but then again it gives a false sense of security. Thereby zoning an already troubled area and more or less ostricising a group of people and labeling them just because they live in a certain region or town or neighborhood. Take for instance Manhattan Vs. the Bronx..... nobody in Manhattan wants to go to the Bronx bc of reputation yet If people from the Bronx go to Manhattan they are looked down apoun thereby creating a deeper class seperation by propagating segregation based on locality.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Yeah being an ex property surveyor I think it will have a big effect on house prices, but it will be very interesting to see the map I think it has as many pro's as it does cons.
I know crime per head in our area at 1 time was meant to be worse than in London! so it will be interesting to see if that is on there...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I'm having issues trying to bring it up for Belfast. I know it's part of the Uk, wonder if they don't cause of all the political stuff going on there with the past of the troubles.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Osiris811
I'm having issues trying to bring it up for Belfast. I know it's part of the Uk, wonder if they don't cause of all the political stuff going on there with the past of the troubles.

I would say no, I can't bring up the map for my Area (Ouse Valley, Sussex) I suspect everyone is checking out their address... and being nosey parkers

edit on 1/2/11 by thoughtsfull because: how silly, one way spelt wrong changing the whole context....slaps head doh

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
searches for wales not working either?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by agentblue

Good point.. We have the same kind of situation in England.. People already know the good areas from the bad, and generally people won't venture into the areas with worst reputations.
I'm sure this will throw out a few surprises though, to the ones who think their a bit la di da and living in upper class areas..

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Atleast this won't affect my house value. From it's percieved rate of crime here, a realistic one can only be better.

Still don't see much need for the police to put this info up though, they say it will make the police more accountable but I can't see how. People aren't going to just phone up and complain that a crime happened and this is just unacceptable :p

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

I would say no, I can't bring up the map for my Area (Ouse Valley, Sussex) I suspect everyone is checking out their address... and being nosey parkers

edit on 1/2/11 by thoughtsfull because: how silly, one way spelt wrong changing the whole context....slaps head doh

Yeah I think it's just alot of people on the site right now.. It only went live this morning so I guess alot of people are online..

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by sharky980
Yeah being an ex property surveyor I think it will have a big effect on house prices, but it will be very interesting to see the map I think it has as many pro's as it does cons.
I know crime per head in our area at 1 time was meant to be worse than in London! so it will be interesting to see if that is on there...

I think your right.. Many pros and cons..

Just as a matter of interest which general area are you from..
I'm from near harlesden/acton area which has a phenomenal crime rate..
Once reported to be the murder capital of Europe..

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Okandetre

Yeah I don't really get why the police would be held accountable bit either..

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Its for England & Wales Only

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

Yeah I think it's just alot of people on the site right now.. It only went live this morning so I guess alot of people are online..

Forgot to add.. I did actually try it this morning and it worked fine for my area.. Didn't have time to look in depth but did show quite alot of crime around..

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Osiris811

It doesn`t cover N Ireland or Scotland - not at the moment anyway.
Actually I looked-up my old stomping-ground and it didn`t tell me anything I didn`t already know. I think it is a waste of money by the Police.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthPhobos

Its for England & Wales Only

Correct.. Maybe n.Ireland and Scotland will be added in the future..
Although they may have there work cut out for Glasgow on match days..

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by exroyalnavy
reply to post by Osiris811

It doesn`t cover N Ireland or Scotland - not at the moment anyway.
Actually I looked-up my old stomping-ground and it didn`t tell me anything I didn`t already know. I think it is a waste of money by the Police.

I have to agree.. The money, time and resources must be phenomenal to make this database..
Although it is a great reference to those that would like/need this information..
edit on 1/2/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   

I am a few miles away from Nottingham mate so theres plenty of rough areas here

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by sharky980

I am a few miles away from Nottingham mate so theres plenty of rough areas here

Yeah I've heard stories from your neck of the woods before..
I'm sure most of our inner cities have high levels of crime.. More so now than at any time, I think..

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
The server has exploded, the website isnt working for anybody

top topics

<<   2 >>

join