It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Lessons from the Global Revolution (So Far)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Just a list I put together after watching media coverage and interviews with the people over the past four days, from a societal perspective. Not perfect, but a starting point. And, yes...some are definitely tongue in cheek, but are in no way intended to make light of this very serious situation or its historical relevance. These are courageous people.

1. Have the government shut off the internet and cell phone service to get people into the streets.

2. Cheer the police. They are your fellow countrymen and countrywomen.

3. Cheer the military. This will make them happy. View jet figher fly-bys as solidarity and support.

4. Pick your three top issues and stick to them. Focus on the goal.

5. Police yourselves. Direct traffic. Pick up trash. Don't block emergency vehicles.

6. Don't loot or allow others to loot. Leave someone home to stand guard so as not to become distracted.

7. Stock up on food, gas, first-aid kits, water beforehand. Share.

8. Sleep in shifts. Encourage each other. Do not waiver.

9. Remain cheerful but firm. Focus anger into the positive. This takes courage.

10. And above all else remain peaceful. If you use weapons or forced, they will be used on you.

Thoughts?

edit on 1/31/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
If you live in a major urban area I would have a contingency plan to get the heck out. Perhaps a family member who lives in a rural area or have some camping gear ready with a couple of campsites mapped out. There will be plenty of violence and looting in the urban areas... look how it is now!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

After the protests? Or if the protests go horribly wrong? I agree. But the point is to get people out there to show solidarity and a unified vision, isn't it?

edit on 1/31/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Absolutely, not all revolutions or protest for that matter need to be violent and destructive. One of the things I remember best from the past week was seeing the Egyptians circle and guard the museum, cleaning up the streets, the white arm bands for street watches, and watching out for each other. By and large, it was a very beautiful thing.

Also, their focus they want Mubarak out, they want him out because he has failed them in the economy, with rampant police torture, and widespread corruption.

Imo, the more peaceful a revolution/uprising is the better for the people, especially in today's age of technology. Violent suppression of the masses will no longer be tolerated by the masses. I hope that one thing that comes out of all this, is that people realize we are not different. We all want a place to lay our heads, food for ourselves and our kids, and safety. Basic things like this do not see religion or nationality. Until you see the pyramids
the people on the television do not look any different than we do (although most hate a better tan than me
).

They are educated people who are unable to find jobs to fulfill these very basic needs, they don't want the government to support them, they want to support themselves through work.
edit on 31-1-2011 by searching4truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
All it takes is a few planted individuals in the crowd to turn things violent and give the police and national guard reason to respond with force. I may be too pessimistic though.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
All it takes is a few planted individuals in the crowd to turn things violent and give the police and national guard reason to respond with force. I may be too pessimistic though.

No, that's true, it's been known to happen. You know what though, we know this, and in that knowledge we know that should we ever find ourselves in the same situation that we need to take care of these people. Either by not responding or if they are violent tie them up and sit them in the corner

One must not get distracted from the message or the goal, and we must help each other in that as well.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Apparently it worked. They have their army behind them.

Visit this thread. Very cool. Army endorses Egyptians' right to protest

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
The biggest lessons from The Movement is to keep the pressure on.Don't let up on the government.Maintain solidarity with your fellow protesters.Fight the oppressors!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
What a great list and posts!

I am chuckling to myself thinking that America's colonists' protests had the Boston Tea Party, which destroyed private corporate property.

Maybe after the spontaneous, fire-in-the-heart ME protests, Americans will re-think their own reasons for public demonstrations. Notice also, these ME protests are not using as a basis any 2cd Amendment remedy or firearm crosshairs.

These people fight with the fire in their heart and belly, not with firepower. Talk of firepower is just that, talk, talk stirred up to make us think the 2cd Am guarantees our freedoms or well being.

With record stock markets at the same time as record unemployment (since Depression), Americans are being paid off with unemployment benefits.

There are horses trained to stay in a perimeter strung with string, after having been conditioned with electric fence wire. After the ME demonstrations, it will be time for Americans to realize that they, too, have been conditioned to stay behind string.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I agree with the other poster about planted people. So many reports of the police actually getting caught looting and causing chaos.

As far as Egypt itself goes. I think they have a long road ahead. The military in egypt is buddy buddy with the United States, maybe more than the President. They are blinded by the billions that come in. Hopefully they can break away from this, maybe they'll show us a thing or 2 about humanity. Hopefully.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

The Boston Tea Party was a peaceful protest, and look what that kicked off. I don't think the citizens have as many guns there as we do here, so that does limit temptation, Wish I could give you 100 stars for this post. Thank you!
★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
reply to post by mayabong

That's definitely a very important point to remember and consider. There will be infiltrators in the crowd, probably for a variety of different reasons. Keep your cool if you face them, that's for sure. Share desert's stars

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I have been seeing it reported that the citizens set up their own check points, run by themselves, to ensure that the trouble makers stay away and that there is not weapons being brought into the protest.

God bless them.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

It seems that their protests are very well thought out...that or they're very fast learner.

edit on 2/1/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

#11 - Don't plant, support, or give weapons to puppet dictators in other countries when your country is suppose to be for freedom and democracy.

#12 – Don’t shut off the Internet and phone lines, that forces more people into the streets, and shows your fear of losing power to the people.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

ahhh, shucks, Lucidity, I'm still blushing from your kind words....or am I just lit up by all those stars?

Anyway, after reading that other thread about the Wisconsin governor wanting to send in his National Guard, I thought I'ld revisit this thread. Could come in handy.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong

I agree with the other poster about planted people. So many reports of the police actually getting caught looting and causing chaos.

As far as Egypt itself goes. I think they have a long road ahead. The military in egypt is buddy buddy with the United States, maybe more than the President. They are blinded by the billions that come in. Hopefully they can break away from this, maybe they'll show us a thing or 2 about humanity. Hopefully.

Thank you for sharing this video my friend. This is what I was hoping the world would see come from these protests, a people taking responsibility for the environment they share. Today it is about Egypt, tomorrow, the world.

With Love,

Your Brother

top topics

join