It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holograms Of Staff To Help Airport Security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Holograms Of Staff To Help Airport Security

news.sky.com

Passengers at Manchester Airport will be greeted by holograms of staff from next week in a bid to reduce security check queues.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
This is freaky if you ask me, I'm not sure I like the direction technology is taking us.

This obviously follows close on the tail of the recent airport bombing in Russia.

Still, of course I know it's all for our own protection

I just sense there could be wider implicatioms for the use of such technology as 'Staged UFO sightings' springs to mind but I'm more interested in your thoughts & opinions...

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
video from the BBC site:

link

it seems like a projection onto a "cut out" of the person still pretty cool though!

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
just noticed while watching it again if you look in the background to the left you can see the other guy too...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
just thought it cant be a projection as people walking in front of it would obscure it, might be a screen cut out in the shape of them...

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I see what you mean but this also means more REAL people loosing their jobs and getting the general population used to accepting altered forms of reality.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

That's exactly what it is.

I worked with this technology a couple years ago (it was a display for an internet company). Basically you take a rear projection TV screen and cut it into the shape of a person (or whatever) then use a TV projector to place the image onto the screen.

The projector is a a few feet away in a box with a laptop. There are speakers on the ground beside the cutout for sound. It looks really cool and draws a crowd, but it isn't a hologram...take away the screen and you have nothing.

It's a combination of old and new technologies used in an innovative way.
edit on 29-1-2011 by [davinci] because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

t's strange to see yourself in virtual form and I'm hoping that I'll be able to rely on my virtual self to carry some of my workload.

where am I?

this is unbelievable.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
its cool and bad at the same time for me technolegy advancments are exiting and i love all this new development happing bring us into a new era but at the same time the poster who said it makes real people loose the jobs may be true in the near fucher that is. The whole airport cant be run on just holograms as people would walk right throue but just my thoughts

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by squizzy
I see what you mean but this also means more REAL people loosing their jobs and getting the general population used to accepting altered forms of reality.

Yeah I think you hit the nail on the head to how I'm feeling yet I know many may call us cynical & say it's cool.

I won't argue it's a cool effect & I love the movies but I'd like to keep real life real!

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tamenie

I agree it can't all work on holograms but it makes me wonder that it's another step towards future acceptance of higher things. Ask any child under the age of 6 these days to explain the difference between a real person and a virtual one. Thay are so used to the pc games etc that their reality is now vastly different from what a child experienced 30 or 40 years ago. They are also more accepting to TPTB and in a sense losing reality. Obviously a terrorist would have such a laugh at the idea of hologram security so surely it is not going to make airports safer at all . Unless you are a total pleb I would be more worried than feeling secure.

top topics

join