It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got tattoos? Sorry, you're not allowed to work for us

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Just to add some substance to a thread that has literally gone off the rails into cloud cuckoo land:

I just did an EBSCO search for any information on "tattoo ink brain damage" and the only information I could find was on a particular kind of red ink which contains "mercuric sulphide, a compound known to cause allergic reactions" in the dermis (upper layers) of skin. I did not find a single study given credence to the claim that it has been scientifically proven that tattoo's cause brain damage, turn people into "criminals," or any other related nonsense.

Deny ignorance.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
You are amazing. Happy Tuesday.
edit on 25-1-2011 by arbitraryinsanity because: Possibly inflammatory. If it were me I were writing too, I might not have appreciated it as much. Golden Rule.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by KingDoey

"Everyone" does not have tatoos these days. Many more than before, sure. But maybe it is because there is a MUCH lower standard for civility, decency, courtesy, respect, etc. in our society. If everyone in your cicle is tatoo-riddled, you are traveling in rough circles.

Discrimination is GOOD and done by each of us many times everyday. We discriminate based on our life experiences and knowledge. If I am in an underground mall parking garage walking with my three young daughters, what do you think I SHOULD do if we appear to be approached by four well-tatted, poorly groomed guys in their early twenties? What should I do if they are 4 black guys in clothing and gaits I associate with the gang culture? If I have a brain and give a rat's butt about my girls, I DISCRIMINATE and consider an alternate, safer, more public route or prepare to defend them. Now put either of those groups in military uniforms and standing tall like men and not moving like gutter rats and I'm walking my girls straight up to them and making a point of shaking each young men's hand.

We all make choices and we all wisely discriminate based on our set of experiences and knowledge. To not do so would make one a total idot and likely prey for thugs.
edit on 25-1-2011 by pajoly because: for grammar

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by tonypazzohome
i live in hipsterville brooklyn where everyone and their mother has a tattoo. except me of course. i think body modification and self-mutilation are signs of a person in desperate need of attention

I'm a tattoo artist, and I would like to say that I think what you said is misguided and ignorant. While there are a percentage of people who fit into that category, like all "categories" it is not the whole of it. Tattoos are usually a very positive thing, and the reasons for getting them are as varied as the people they go on. Don't make the mistake of judging the whole tattooed population by your biases. I can tell you that there are many wonderful, perfectly-sane, functional people who get tattooed. We aren't all criminals and whores, thanks.

edit on 25-1-2011 by bekisu because: comma

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
Why does everybody keep thinking he has swastikas? The OP said it's not like he has swastikas. His tattoos are not socially unacceptable nor would they mean anything to anybody besides him (or anybody who just hates Ohio or his daughters or who is offended by broken hearts).

Thats what happens when you skim...you pick up wrong info. my bad.

That is the only case where I'd think it was understandable to not hire somebody because of body art: if it were offensive. I don't care if it's on your flesh or on your shirt, if it's not offensive, it's not offensive. If you want to be forever associated with a concept, make sure it's not very controversial. But, in the OP's case, they are all harmless tattoos anyway.

like piercings. People judge you based on how you look..they simply do and the ops is finding that out.

Is it right? nope.

but when deciding to get a big tattoo across your forehead...even if it says "Mom", may not be a great idea. You can, and who doesn't love mom...but we know at the end of the day that its a bad idea...not sure why it works that way, it just does.

have a hundred tattoo's if you want, but have it to where you can cover it up with a tshirt if you want to maximize your chances of getting a job.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by kyleisboss

It is the right of the person looking for employees to decide if the image you are perceived to project will be appropriate for the job at hand.

The choice you made in getting tattoos, which is not a bad one, will have negative connotations towards some persons. The person that has rejected you for employment isn't discriminating against you or your lifestyle. They are making the choice that the image that may be perceived by your employment is contrary to the image of their business.

It is tough out there and it may seem it is personal, but it truly isn't. When I ran my own business, anyone that was in contact with customers had standards to be met. If they had tattoos on their forearms, I required them to be covered. If they had tattoos that could not be covered, then I didn't hire them. They didn't fit.

Now of course if I were running a more pop-culture type of establishment where such was more prevalent, I wouldn't hesitate.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly
reply to post by KingDoey

But maybe it is because there is a MUCH lower standard for civility, decency, courtesy, respect, etc. in our society.

I think I can remain civil, I havent asked to eat ANY children yet, and I have 7 tattoo's. My standards are rather high I think. Much Higher than say the people who discriminate against their potential employees based off of art preference. For the Record, there is a famous Rembrandt Id proudly wear on arm, but my arm isnt big enough.

edit on 25-1-2011 by arbitraryinsanity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by 1SawSomeThings

I congratulate you on your business success and I sincerely would bet you do a bang up job for your customers. But in your case it is a damned good thing you started your own business. 1. It suits your base disposition and confidence, 2. You would be a nightmare employee with the mile high chip on your shoulder.

I don't mean that disparagingly, it is just a fact, just as that fact is one of those things that helps you to excel in your own business.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyleisboss
reply to post by illusion987

I would not consider working at a instant oil change place an "upscale job". Maybe I need to set my sights lower is what you're saying?

As for corporate America and their corporate jobs...it sounds an awful lot like jail to me

Sigh. See OP? That's a kind of "me against the world," silly, ignorant, immature comment that only shows Valvoline made the CORRECT decision not to hire you. You DO have a chip on your shoulder. You do REJECT the "regular" world. And frankly you are just wrong and have poor judgment. I've been a $7/hr technician, have no 4 year degree, but worked my way up and manuevered and jumped to various companies and have thus made no less than $140/yr for the past ten years. I did it by being smarter than the other people competing against me, by outsmarting faux renegades like you who thought they were somehow too cool to succeed. What I learned? The hard truth is that people like you may very well be afraid to succeed and you need to learn to battle that inferiority complex, to learn what triggered your lack of self-worth.

As for a corporate job being like "jail." I've worked at some "corporate" jobs that were awesome, with great people, great perks, work hard/play hard people and fun travel. I've worked at jobs that were more like jobs. In the end, most are what YOU decide to make of them. Right now, you need to thing really hard about what you are subconciously deciding. Are you afraid to succeed? Do you feel secretly inferior to those who can buckle down and get those corporate jobs and do well in them? Seriously. Dig deep and figure some things out.
edit on 25-1-2011 by pajoly because: alter tome a tad and typos

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Like my tattoo, huh?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1ff5c6c22ee1.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I LOVE the double standard. Everywhere I look I am forced to view the corporate images of the same people who discriminate against my own personal "logos". Harmony can be had huh? I lowered my standards? I have personal issues? Every Nation on this planet has their own symbol and flag. I am a sovereign individual, I cannot have my own aswell?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0sDeny ignorance.

The only ignorance being displayed here in this thread is the fact that you and so many others posting in this thread don't know about the brain damage that the synthetic ink used in tattooing causes. This whole thread is an indictment on just how stupid, illiterate, uneducated, uninformed, and brainwashed the average sheep truly is these days.

For the people in this thread that keep asking why some people get tattoos...............the answer is simple. It is because they are brainwashed morons, as is proven by the comments being made in this thread. Nice Orwellian slogan there, "deny ignorance." You are truly one of the indoctrinated.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Red Cloak

Glad to read your "studies," whenever you get around to linking them.

In the meantime, "deny ignorance" is the ATS motto. The only thing "Orwellian" here is your insistence on being taken seriously as a credible witness, without scientific proof or verifiable evidence.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiponbothshoulders
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

What harm does it do me?.
Please!.

You are engaging in discourse with blinders on. The theme of this site is "Deny Ignorance". To dismiss a stranger totally out of hand, or to engage in conversation armed with entirely preconceived notions, based upon tattoos, is self limiting. Your call...it certainly doesn't harm me at all. Seems to me that your pseudonym on this site says more about you than my tattoos do about me.
Just sayin'

And to get back to the point, for an employer to make similar judgments about a job in a lube shop is simply bad business practice...essentially peeing in yer boots to keep yer feet warm.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by dalan.

The way things "should" be is rarely synonymous with the way they "are".....

True, I can see the ignorance in my statement, or at least a resistence to how things really are. But I can't help myself, honestly.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I used to work full time, now part time as an auto mechanic. I wear mechanix gloves.. thin enough to be comfortable with a leather palm and finger tip area for good grip. I think they'd be great for him to use both as a cover up and as hand protection from knuckle busting wrench/ratchet slippage

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pinke

Essentially you're telling me you would get a tattoo if it would bring you less rejection or more acceptance.

No that's not true. I never said that I would get a tattoo to gain acceptance. I said that people get tattoos to lose acceptance. The two assertions are not equal.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pinke

Essentially you're telling me you would get a tattoo if it would bring you less rejection or more acceptance.

Logic Truth Table:

p : I will get tattoos.
q : I will lose acceptance.
p => q : If I get tattoos, I will lose acceptance.
~q: I will not lose acceptance.
p => ~q: If I get tattoos, I will not lose acceptance.

The truth tables for p=>q and p=>~q are not equivalent, therefore, the two assertions are not equal.

In order for p => ~q to be true, you would have to live in a world where you would not lose ANY acceptance for having tattoos, and this world does not exist.

Also, a world where you lose acceptance for NOT having tattoos does not exist.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Red Cloak

Maybe we can both take an IQ test and see who comes up with a better score?

Since you have no proof to back up your claims, maybe this will settle the debate

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Pictures help I suppose. Dont't mind the broken pinky. And, no, before anyone asks, my finger was not broken when i was in the interview process. I just broke it the other day.

edit on 1/25/2011 by kyleisboss because: correction

edit on 1/25/2011 by kyleisboss because: correction

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join