It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got tattoos? Sorry, you're not allowed to work for us

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I just thought I would share how wonderful our country has become with all of you today. I, like most Americans, am looking for work. I was laid off on January 2nd, 2009, and have found little, if any work since then. I was on unemployment until it ran out (13 months). Any jobs I have had since being laid off have all been temp jobs. We all know how long those last. I do my usual diligence, and fill out 10 applications a day (on average). The newest job prospect was that of Valvoline Instant Oil Change. You know, those places where you pull in and have someone change your oil, refill your fluids, etc? Not a glamorous job, but a job I would enjoy either way. I, for whatever reason, enjoy nasty, dirty, difficult jobs.

The hiring process for these places consists of an online application, of course. Paper applications do not exist anymore it seems. I did the online app, where there is also a pre employment questionnaire. I was contacted by a store representative and was asked if I could come in for an interview. I came in for a interview, and had a EXCELLENT interview. The store manager told me he would love to hire me, and after talking to his boss, that I would hopefully begin work with them within the next week. He then asked me about my tattoos and if I had a problem covering them up. I absolutely have ZERO problem doing this, sure it may be hot in the summer, but a job is a job. Covering up my tattoos on my hands would seem the least I could do to procure employment.

Now before we all assume that I have satan, a naked lady, and a swastika tattooed on my hands, let me just tell you that is not that case. I have the state of Ohio, my daughters name (Kadence Anne) and a half of a broken heart. The first two tattoos are self explanatory, the other one is a story for another day, and another time. Regardless, nothing that I would deem extraordinarily offensive. The store owner even confessed to me that he has tattoos as well, he just covers them up. He has no personal problem with them, but understands where some could.

To complete the employment process, I was then instructed to go on a second interview, this time with a regional manager. Apparently, if the store manager likes you, you are sent to the next level, where they conduct a second interview. If all managers agree on the hiring, you get hired. I came in for my interview with the regional manager, and again had another EXCELLENT interview. I was again, told by the person conducting the interview, how great of a interview I was. He told me that Valvoline would love to hire me, and after my background check went through, they would call me and let me know when my first day would be. I was pretty content, and waited for the phone call. 2 weeks went by and I heard absolutely nothing from anyone. This morning I called the store manager, and asked if they were still hiring because I hadn't heard anything from anyone. He told me they were still hiring, but could not hire me.

I was told the reason they could not hire me, was because of my tattoos. He told me that he personally thought I would make a great addition, but that it is against corporate policy to have tattoos. If I ever got my tattoos removed, I should give him a call because he would "hire me in a minute". I hung up the phone in disbelief. My 1 year old daughter and my wife will now have it more difficult because I have tattoos? Don't give me that crap that "It was your choice...you should have known better". I am a hardworking, proud individual, that has a great work ethic, was more than capable of doing that job. To be turned down because of tattoos on my hand seems completely discriminatory in my opinion. Add to the fact, that the store manager himself has tattoos that he covers up, and I feel like I was just given a giant middle finger by society.

All i want to do is work and provide for my family. Aren't we allowed the right to do that? Its different to not be skilled enough for a job, or to have some sort of criminal history that bars you from a job. But to be turned down because of physical appearance just makes me feel totally ashamed. I agreed to any concession about covering them up, I would have worn long sleeves and gloves year round, just for the opportunity to put food on the table for my family. Instead, it will be back to the grind of desperately trying to find work. Courtesy no longer exists in today's society. The respectable thing to do would have been to call me and let me know "Hey, we've decided to go in a different direction, thank you for your interest." That would have been fine, but to leave people guessing is terrible. I just thought I would share this story with everyone here on ATS to let them know just how low we've sunk culturally.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
As an owner and operator of a tattoo and piercing shop, I warn people on a daily basis that having tattoos on your hands neck and face can and will affect your ability to find employment. The problem is people do not listen. You were more than likely aware that this could happen, so why did you get them done knowing that it could affect your employment disposition?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I understand your frustration and it is completely warranted. I myself am covered in tattoos and every time I even slightly feel discriminated against because of them I get pretty defensive. I work for the state and I have had no issues regarding my tattoos because I think ultimately they know its a lawsuit I would win in a second, and yes I would go there.

Unless the reason you are not hired due to the tattoos is because it hinders or affects your job in a negative way, such as modeling or what have you, it is discrimination. The tattoo has no influence on the job/task at hand in almost all cases.

However having said that I firmly do believe that employers should be able to hire whomever they want and not hire whomever they want, I know as a business owner I would be upset if I was obligated to hire less qualified people due to a minority numbers game.

Since tattoos don't affect the job in most cases it isn't a legitimate reason to not hire someone.

I feel your pain, thankfully I haven't yet had a problem with my tattoos getting in the way of a job.

GL I hope you find work soon!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Well, you did say the tats are on your hands, and that Valvoline's policy requires tattoos to be covered at all times. How would you envision keeping tattoos on your hands covered on a job that requires the use of your hands? Maybe it was just the unfortunate location of the tats that lost the job for you.

Should have gone for the tramp stamp! (ha ha, just kidding)
edit on 24-1-2011 by tjack because: the reason MUST be filled out!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kyleisboss

Welcome to ATS. I'd hire you in a heartbeat brother. But you'd have to have an AFSC of 325X0 to work for me. Good luck, be proud and your family will be in our prayers.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Hi kyleisboss, and welcome to the Introductions Forum of the ATS community. For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's)Private Messages to Staff only. Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

New Rules for Avatars and Mini-ProfileBackgrounds

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

ATS Video Tutorials

Signature Guidelines

Terms & Conditions

Take your time and enjoy. If you have any questions just ask.

Sauron,
Moderator.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I would have absolutely NO problem hiring anybody with tattoos, what is wrong with them?

It is your brain and knowledge that helps you learn and makes you good at your job!

If somebody said your skin colour means you don't get a job, there would be an uproar!

Peoplewith learning difficulties and even in wheelchairs get jobs so what is wrong with covered up tattoos, even ones showing should be fine as long as they aren't offensive!

Sorry but what a joke, I would employ this guy like a shot. He has a great hardworking attitude and a family to support, an ideal employee. My background is Sales Director for a large manufacturing company for 15 years so I know how to hire people and what to look for etc

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I personally think it's discrimation to not hire someone because they have tattoos. You can't discriminate on everything else involving a person yet somehow if they have tattoos it's ok? They are basically saying if you have tattoos you must be a bad person and that is how I see it. If the tattoos are offensive I get it but who would be offended by the ones you stated?

I applied for a sales job at Hallmark and was told I would have to cover my tats which I of course had a problem with. I put in my app and was never heard from, go figure. I have 3 tattoos on my arms, one is the B from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, one is a Shakespeare quote and the other is the Fleur de Lis. I have one on each inner wrist the shakespeare quote is on my left forearm inside. I was amazed that a place like Hallmark would require tattoos to be covered.

This country is so backwards. I am offended by the fat lady wearing a short skirt with her boobs hanging out yet that is allowed? You can't discriminate against what people wear yet their tattoos are ok to discriminate against. The lady at Hallmark said tattoos can be offensive and I said to her how would anyone find Shakespeare offensive? They have cards with Shakespeare quotes in them! It's ridiculous.

It just pisses me off when someone is denied a job because of their tattoos esp when like you said you dont mind covering them. So because you have tattoos you aren't hirable or worth a job? That is insane!

What is this the 50's? I have a hard time finding anyone around my age, 32, and under or even over a few years that doesn't have a tattoo.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but to me the Epitome of the hard working American mechanic is a guy who is buff, has tattoos, long hair and sexy! WTH??? I won't be going to any mechanics now, not when they are not even decent to look at anymore! I don't wanna see some clean cut nerd boy that looks too prissy to get dirty working on my car, bleck.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

I guess I just figured I would never seek employment from someone where that mattered. I always figured if whether or not someone wants to hire me is based on something OTHER than my work ethic, I wouldn't want to work for them anyways. Im not trying to find office jobs, or bank teller jobs. This is a job where I'd be under someones car all day, out of sight from customers. Its not something that is prohibiting me from doing a task either.

Oh well.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This isn't an obstacle, Spirit is guiding you my friend and Valvoline was not the answer; a door will open this much is for certain. There are many people without work and they do not have tattoos, I would simply write the Corporate folks and thank them for their time and loss, because really it was their loss.

Your tattoos will not be an issue where you belong and where you are most needed, besides who is getting their oil changed in a post-collapsed society anyways. Have you ever thought of doing ranch work? Fresh air, hard work, and a moment to refresh! Just a suggestion as I get the impression you are a great manager within and that you only break "other people's rules" and not your own. Good qualities in my book! A sense of freedom and travel surrounds you and there is so much to experience in this life. It is quite possible you are a guide for others, now to apply that to a career and the Universe will have blossomed for you; the question remains what kind of job would entail such traits?

Personally tattoos are irrelevant, just as long hair is irrelevant on a man, Spirit will speak to others through us and if you are the right person then it will be as it should be. I bet you scared the living pants off both those managers!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

and a swastika tattooed on my hands,

i would not employ you either - can you guess why ?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I have tattoos but I deliberately got them in places that are easily covered because I know that they can sometimes be frowned upon by society, it is really annoying because I think in this day and age tattoos are now becoming quite fashionable, are you sure they are legally allowed to do this? I don't think you would get away with that here in the UK.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Thank you. Hopefully one day, I will know what its like to have money again hahaha...

I actually called the EEOC to see if this was, in fact, discrimination. Like you said, its not like tattoos are prohibiting me from doing a task. Well, they referred me to the US Department of Labor. Who referred me to my State Department of Labor. Who referred me to the ACLU. Who referred me to another set of lawyers. In the end it was just one big runaround, and I called it quits and cut my losses. Apparently, discrimination ONLY exists if its based on sex, creed, color, or age.

I thought it would be funny if I stated that the reason I had tattoos was because it was within my religious beliefs. In some cultures, it is in fact, considered a religious right of passage. At least then I could say I was being discriminated against because of my religion

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I think this is a no brainer, when I got my tattoos I was well aware of the fact I was making it harder for me to find work. I think if anything things have gotten better, I have a job at an elementary school with tattoos on my fore arms. Back in the 50's I doubt people would have hired anyone for any jobs if they had tattoos, so I believe things are better in that respect. This is not profiling this is common sense, you are doing it to yourself so if you don't know the repercussions of what you doing to yourself then you should probably look into them before doing something permanent that will affect your life.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Sorry for your troubles, but why didn't you cover them up for the second interview? Seems like if the first interviewer warned you that it was a problem, then the second interview was a chance to prove your willingness.

Once you have them, you have them, but people should be warned that tattoos on hands, face, neck are going to severely limit their professional potential. I used to have a guy that worked for me, and he got the tattoos after working there awhile, and we had to make him wear long sleeves at all times. It was ridiculously hot in Florida in long sleeves, but he needed to keep his job.

I have tattoos, but nothing outside of a short sleeve shirt. If I ever get more rich, or tenured somewhere that I can't be let go from, then I will expand some more.

Next interview, keep them covered right off the bat.
On a related note, I think those ugly band-aids over nose andlip piercings in waitresses are far more gross than the piercing. The restaurants need to decide, either the piercing is ok, or it is not ok, but putting a nasty band-aid over it affects my appetite!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tjack

I would honestly wear gloves the whole time. As cumbersome and annoying as that may be, I had no problem doing that. Alot of the guys that worked there actually wore long sleeves just because of the grime associated with working on vehicles. That alone was enough of a reason for me to cover everything up. I still dont see the difference personally.

As for tramp stamps, the funniest tattoo I have ever seen was someone that had "TRAMP" literally stamped where a tramp stamp would go in the form of a stamp. Pretty funny if you ask me....

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Apparently, discrimination ONLY exists if its based on sex, creed, color, or age.

This is exactly right. It is perfectly legal to discriminate on basis of looks, or height, or weight (assuming you are not disabled), or haircolor or anything else, as long as it is not a protected class.

You can't discriminate based on sex, creed, color, age (18 to 55), sexual orientation, or disability. Everything else is fairgame.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I feel for you. I have no tats myself, but I wouldn't care if you had two heads and humpback if you were the best person for the job.

Does anybody else get the feeling that our corporate masters are really tightening the reins? Seems like the idiots are more concerned with our personal lives than running their businesses efficiently.

Valvoline?? Friggin Valvoline has a trouble with tats? Have they looked at all their biker customers lately?

WTF?

Your story just snapped it for me: I'll never use a Valvoline product again.

Hope you get some work soon man. I've been there and done that with the unemployment, but at least thank God I don't have kids to provide for unless you count the cats.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I find it surprising somebody actually told you why you weren't hired. I've never in my life been given a reason when applying and interviewing for a job. Most of the time its a letter or someone telling you they decided to go with another app. That being said there is nothing illegal about not hiring somebody because of tattoos.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join