It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellowstone Evidence of What Will Happen if it Erupts?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
An excerpt from this website shows how Yellowstone erupting would affect the US and the rest of the world:

www.unmuseum.org...

"Bill McGuire, professor of geohazards at the Benfield Greig Hazard Research Centre at the University College of London told the UK Daily Express, "Magma would be flung 50 kilometers into the atmosphere. Within a thousand kilometers virtually all life would be killed by falling ash, lava flows and the sheer explosive force of the eruption. One thousand cubic kilometers of lava would pour out of the volcano, enough to coat the whole USA with a layer 5 inches thick." He adds that it would once again bring "the bitter cold of Volcanic Winter to Planet Earth. Mankind may become extinct."

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Verry interresting to read.

If Yellowstone will ever erupts big time it could well be end of the human race..

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by css1981

You are underestimating humanity.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Even more compelling evidence the government are looking ahead by training people in your locale to be like volunteer disaster co-ordinators includes, earthquakes, volcanoes, terrorism, etc... as possible threat to you. Reading this website it is obvious the US is waiting on Yellowstone to explode. very scary...:

www.citizencorps.gov...

In one of the preparedness videos it is silly as a disabled guy phones a car rental company to find out if they have a car adapted to take his wheelchair etc... when the disaster happens. How many car rental companies are going to be open the day a disaster begins....?
edit on 22-1-2011 by kalenga because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
it may very well erupt...in the next 10,000 years or so.

it will not erupt in the next 10 generations of humans.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Interesting article. Doesn't sound like they're too worried about it though.

As fascinating as the history of Yellowstone volcano is, however, most professional geologists who study the site are not concerned that the park is on the brink of a catastrophic eruption. The bulge on the bottom of the lake may have been there for thousands of years, but not noticed until the recent survey. Changes in the geyser activity is not unusual. New geysers have appeared throughout the history of the park, while others go dormant. Rangers often shut down parts of trails or alter them as needed.

The idea that Yellowstone may be "overdue" is also faulty. With only three catastrophic eruptions and two intervals between to go on there is not enough data to say that another one should be occurring in the near future.

How is it that it "MAY be overdue" faulty, if there isn't enough data to say either way? Sounds more like what he's saying is we simply don't know. It may, or may not be.

S&F OP.

edit on 22-1-2011 by Klassified because: Correction

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

and what brings you to that conclusion?

link   

Originally posted by MMPI2
it may very well erupt...in the next 10,000 years or so.

it will not erupt in the next 10 generations of humans.

How do you know this?

It could erupt tomorrow. Its 40,000 years overdue for an eruption.
edit on 22-1-2011 by Secularist because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Klassified

I started this thread as I tried to post on the Yellowstone bulging thread but it said I could not. I am linking this to that thread as this is obviously a new development after these articles were written?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Humanity, above all else, will survive. Without labeling mass death as a good thing, a disaster is one way of making everybody equal. It's good to keep in the back of our minds, but I feel that there are many more pressing issues to 'worry' about currently, since the evidence for immediate precaution seems to be lacking.

But last spew of Ol faithful before the eruption would be spectacular though (for any poor sap happening to watch).
edit on 22-1-2011 by ALLisMIND because: Spelling fail

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalenga

I started this thread as I tried to post on the Yellowstone bulging thread but it said I could not. I am linking this to that thread as this is obviously a new development after these articles were written?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There were two threads on the topic, and a mod shut the one you tried to post in down. The active thread is here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 22-1-2011 by Klassified because: Oops

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Heads up thanks for the info and link....

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
There were two threads on the topic, and a mod shut the one you tried to post in down. The active thread is here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Maybe a Mod could shut Yellowstone down

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
How is it that it "MAY be overdue" faulty, if there isn't enough data to say either way? Sounds more like what he's saying is we simply don't know. It may, or may not be.
I'm with you on this one. While we can't say conclusively that it occurs at regular intervals, the previous 3 eruptions created 2 intervals that are reasonably similar, so I don't think it's grasping at straws to say that maybe, just maybe, the next interval will also be in the same ballpark as the last 2 intervals!

Regarding the amount of destruction to expect, here's a map of the ashfall area for the last 3 eruptions, in pink, compared to the Mt St. Helens ashfall, in orange:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/42a3ed0451bd.gif[/atsimg]
www.earthmountainview.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thanks so much for the link at the bottom of the map. There is a lot to read so I haven't finished yet.
But I am overjoyed to see links to the 'Super Volcano' documentary series.
One of the actors in it is actually the Volcanologist Bill McGuire who is cited in my introduction quote.
He is not an actor but a real Volcanologist who was more than happy to help the production being made.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Thanks so much for the link at the bottom of the map. There is a lot to read so I haven't finished yet.
But I am overjoyed to see links to the 'Super Volcano' documentary series.
I'm glad you found the information at that link helpful. I'd like to add that I don't agree completely with some of the stuff at that site, such as the heading saying it's about to blow, at least not on a human time scale, though an eruption may (or may not) be imminent on a geologic time scale which means within the next 200,000 years based on the previous 2 intervals. That site is a mixture of some really whacky far out stuff (that I don't agree with, from the obviously failed prediction it would erupt in 2004 to visions), to some useful information.

But I think you'll enjoy the BBC docudrama, that's pretty cool.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Now we know why they call it a super volcano. It would most certainly change life as we know it in this country for the survivors.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I don't even live in the US and I am scared if this does blow! We had a bad time with the Iceland volcano as its only 800 miles away with ash landing but it was not too bad. Aircraft where affected more though. If Yellowstone goes we will all know about it....

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by kalenga

No doubt about it. It would be on every news channel in the world. Radio and TV. I would think it would affect our neighboring countries as well. Significantly.

I wouldn't even know where to begin. But I'm sure the power grid would not go unaffected.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I don't even live in the US and I am scared if this does blow!
Well if you want to be scared about something, there's a long list of things you're far more likely to die from than Yellowstone. On that basis I'm not too scared. Let's say it will blow sometime in the next 200,000 years and kill 2 billion people when it does, that's 10,000 deaths a year on an annualized basis.

Compare that to the estimated global death rate for traffic related fatalities, of about 1,200,000. We should be WAY more worried about dying in a traffic accident which is more than 100 times more likely than dying from Yellowstone, statistically speaking, if those estimates are correct.

On the other hand, you're right that living outside of the US or even North America is no guarantee of survival and if you really want to do something about it instead of just being scared, my recommendation is to stockpile at least a year's worth of food on hand because my guess is that we may not be able to grow crops anywhere on Earth for maybe a year after it blows, except perhaps inside lighted greenhouses, which are relatively rare. This will empty grocery stores and create massive waves of famine on a global basis, I believe, since as far as I can tell, we just aren't prepared for it. Maybe if it blows 20,000 years from now or whenever, we'll be more prepared by then.
edit on 22-1-2011 by Arbitrageur because: fix typo

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join