It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple rated worst multinational polluter in China

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeenMyShare
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

I'm sorry but I can't agree with that. Apple KNOWS better. Just because Chinese law allows for blatant disregard for human life does not mean that its ok for Apple to kill Chinese citizens and despoil their environment for generations to come by their actions. Apple should have taken the moral high ground and done what was right, except they don't care.

Thats right, Apple doesn't care and guess what....thats their right. Expecting a monster company like Apple to take the moral highground is like asking a CEO not to take his billion bonus from the taxpayer bailout. Never going to happen and you'd be a fool for even asking such a thing. Thats the sad state our world is in. Right or wrong doesn't really apply anymore, it all comes down to whats legal and whats not. To stop this insane and inhuman practice we need to change the laws the monster corps can play by because they wont change otherwise.

Apple is the symptom, not the disease.

Thats just the way I see it.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Who doesnt love college freshman girls?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Star because of this.

On a side note I havealways said Apple was an evil company. This makes me even happier to not own an Apple i anything.

Raist

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I do agree with re: Apple being a symptom and not the disease. Apple would never have been able to get this far without the "gotta have it" attitude of consumers. Consumers fueled this and consumers need to be the ones to de-fuel it.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
poor show apple you will loose business..

kx

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeenMyShare

I do agree with re: Apple being a symptom and not the disease. Apple would never have been able to get this far without the "gotta have it" attitude of consumers. Consumers fueled this and consumers need to be the ones to de-fuel it.

People knew Henry Ford was a Nazi supporter and had plants working in Germany in WW2, still didn't stop americans from buying Ford's though. GM, IBM, COCA COLA were all in Germany profiting from WW2 and americans didn't stop buying those brands. Thats a pretty bad precedent set by american consumers so I don't think we should hold our breaths hoping for a boycott of Apple products.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Reply to post by FreeSpeaker

Not just the consumers of material good either. Universities like Yale and Harvard had a whole lot of Nazi love.

The things I used to see come through Yale regarding their partnership and cooperation with the Nazi's with research and outreach blew my mind. Handwritten correspondence even between Nazi party members and the schools faculty.

Big U spent just as much time in the Nazi playground as Big Business. Anyone who wants control, wealth or prestige had Nazi connections. Still do.

You want that fancy car? Chances are it has Nazi roots. You want that uppity degree? Chances are it has Nazi roots. You want the hot gadget? Chances are it has Nazi roots. Supporting a particular "political" cause? Chances are that too has Nazi roots.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
People need to do the right thing but it won't happen. As pointed out Apple is a symptom. The problem is social status and morons runs rampant hence the saturated market. I took a hammer to my nano ipod a while back, felt good actually. Saying I'm apple free is great, I think they suck in every capacity but other companies are unfortunately not much better.

brill

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

You made some great points and they just futher reinforce my opinion that we cannot count on any real boycott from consumers. Its going to take some real pressure on China to solve this problem like the US/Canada/UK/etc Gov boycotting Chinese exports or taxing the hell out of them unitl China complies with basic human rights. Chinese labour laws are a human rights issue imo and with the largest population in the world it should be the biggest human rights issue around. Too much $$$$ involved to realistically expect any such move against China from any government but one can dream.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

To stop this insane and inhuman practice we need to change the laws the monster corps can play by because they wont change otherwise.

Apple is the symptom, not the disease.

Good luck trying to get China to change its laws, at least directly. It would be much easier to get Apple to change its ways by boycotting their products. They are smaller and less of bureaucracy. Change the way enough companies operate and you have a chance of convincing the Chinese to change their laws, or at least you give support to environmentalists within China.
edit on 1/22/2011 by wayno because: typo

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
This is nothing more than the Chinese government trying to leverage more payments by Apple to their personal greed. China, after all, uses ALL their rivers and streams as nothing more than running sewers and chemical dumping sites. The government runs all industries and they are the polluters themselves and know it. They don't care and never have. Environmental rules don't apply and never will if it interferes with their agenda and their pocketbooks! Closet capitalists all!

Zindo

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Look, i'm not a tree hugger, not an enviromentalist, not a green peacer,
but I am not dumb, you can not just pollute not care without concequences.

Not even a dog craps where they sleep.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
Good luck trying to get China to change its laws, at least directly.

I won't hold my breath thats for sure.

Originally posted by wayno
Change the way enough companies operate and you have a chance of convincing the Chinese to change their laws, or at least you give support to environmentalists within China.

Companies operate within the laws. Change the laws and you change how they operate. You are never going to convince a monster corporation to go above and beyond whats required. Any CEO that suggested such a thing would feel the door hitting him on the arse mighty fast.

edit on 22-1-2011 by FreeSpeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
More. It seems to me that a company with nothing to hide would have no problem complying with requests by the environmental groups as to the environmental conditions as well as human conditions at their suppliers factories. As the article states, Apple can claim to be green because they have no direct factories of their own. They rely fully on suppliers for components but don't really care what the conditions are there.

Apple secretive about 'polluting and poisoning' supply chain, says report

Hewlett Packard, British Telecom, Samsung, Sony, Siemens and Alcatel were credited as being the most responsive to third-party inquiries about alleged environmental violations. "Apple can say it is completely 'green' because it is a brand with no factory, but if it doesn't manage its supply chain, these are just empty words," said Ma Jun of the Institute for Public and Environmental Affairs. "Far from being the best on planet, it is bottom among 29 IT brands. Apple should be a leader. If it can move on this, it can change the whole industry."

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
China is poisoning the many, for money that goes to the few (the chinese elite).

I just don't see how people can prasie China. The people work 14-16 hours a day,
not so they can buy them some property and a house one day, not so they can open
a business one day, not to raise a family, but so they have something to eat for that day.
So they can stay in their 10 man apartment room.

China needs to step inline, or mother nature will force them..

When the billion people get fed up with this it is game over...

When the people start falling over dead, more and more, they will say enough is enough.
It is a sad condition, there is nothing strong, powerful, or anything to glorify about it.

Sure the power loving nuts love the way China deals with their people.
I'm sure there is people in American politics who would love to own the people like that.

Trust me it is nothing to look up to.

China is no role model.

edit on 22-1-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by hillynilly

You see the picture I'm trying to paint here. The people of China are not the government and the people have no say, no recourse. They are innocent victims in these heinous crimes, being poisoned, exploited and not even scraping by - and all so that a very few can be digustingly wealthy.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

People can argue the same is going on in America, but atleast we have rights.

I see exactly what your saying.

China pollutes now for profit, no regulations. They don't care.

I don't LOVE the EPA (they take things too far sometime), I do not believe in cap and trade tax or carbon footprint tax.

The EPA is a necessary evil, like the government.

The stuff China does is just overboard...

CHINA WILL NEVER BE a superpower, not while they pollute to no end, poison,
have no human rights what so ever, and keep their people captive.

People think they have it bad in the states.

The people of China are not the problem, they probably don't
even understand how they are killing themselves.

Their government does not care there is a billion of them.
Just numbers, pollute and pillage.

China, a superpower!!

Apple found cheap labor, they don't care about the Chinese people..

Most folks here with their Ipads I this, I whatever, probably are blind to all this,
don't even know what going on behind Apples closed doors...

Apple puts out an *image* and that is all it is.

Apple is not better then any other elite exploiting people.
edit on 22-1-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker

This topic comes up all the time and this must be the third thread of its kind I have replied to.

The problem is CHINA - not APPLE!

Apple complies with chinese labour laws. Period! Its not apple hurting those workers, its thier own government who allows such conditions to exist for the sake of $$$$$. Get China to overhaul their labour laws and this problem goes away.

If you turn your argument around then it was America not BP that caused the blow out...they supplied the licence and new the risks...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

No, it was the regulatory agency that didn't do due diligence involving oversight. It's sits squarely on the shoulders of the EPA. They will stomp on some poor farmer, or small business owner for infinitesimal infractions and put them out of business but ignore the hard infractions where they might have to explain themselves in court with corps that have deep pockets to fight them! You can't excel in the GS ratings if you don;t have convictions, so the easy targets that can't fight back are the norm!
Zindo

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Companies operate within the laws. Change the laws and you change how they operate. You are never going to convince a monster corporation to go above and beyond whats required. Any CEO that suggested such a thing would feel the door hitting him on the arse mighty fast.

Your assessment of how companies operate is pretty accurate in my estimation. They've historically gotten away with it because of public ignorance. Stories like this one have the potential to destroy that ignorance. The ultimate factor in corporate decision making is the "bottom line". Are they making a profit or not? If sales go down because the public is savey to a company's environmental practices, a smart corporation will try and improve their image accordingly.

Whether they do so honestly or deceptively is another matter. Look at all the oil company adverts and you would think they are on the leading edge of environmentalism, so it isn't going to be easy for consumers to get to the reality. Thanks to this internet we at least have some access to the full picture, at least for now.

edit on 1/22/2011 by wayno because: sp.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker

This topic comes up all the time and this must be the third thread of its kind I have replied to.

The problem is CHINA - not APPLE!

Apple complies with chinese labour laws. Period! Its not apple hurting those workers, its thier own government who allows such conditions to exist for the sake of $$$$$. Get China to overhaul their labour laws and this problem goes away.

If you turn your argument around then it was America not BP that caused the blow out...they supplied the licence and new the risks...

There is no doubt that the US gov is just as guilty as BP. From making the laws that enabled this to happen to them helping BP cover up as much as possible, the US gov is in it up to their necks as they always are when it comes to big oil.

All of these "evil" corporations are symptoms of the same disease everywhere in the world. Corrupt governments (who were corrupted by the corportations) allowing corrupt practices to continue for $$$$$.

I should add this is one reason why so many jobs were outsourced. Americans would not put up with unsafe work conditions or being paid pennies compared to the billions the companies raked in so they formed labour unions. That didn't work to well in the end as the companies just sent the jobs somewhere else like China.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join