It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are Atheists' thought's on Quantum Mechanics?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I know that Atheist believe in a material world, one that can be proven through Newtonian physics, proven through Science, experiments, and hard evidence. Atheists choose not to believe in God, a god, Consciousness, spirits, mysticism, paranormal, metaphysics due to lack of material evidence.
But what about how Quantum Physics in encountering a God/Consciousness archetype?

*I apologize if I offend anyone for my laxidazical definition of an atheist and for my ignorance, I am only starting to learn about Quantum mechanics so please, bear with me.

An example could possible the "Measurement Problem." From what I understand is that the measurement problem concludes that an atom only appears in a particular place when you measure it. In other words the atom is spread all over the place until a conscious observer decides to measure it. Hence we are making our reality as we observe it.

I have also read that an atom in 99.99% space/energy and .01% matter. (This is what I keep reading. I have to ask, doesn't matter have energy mixed with it therefore 100% is energy...?I never read this) Does this mean that our reality is 99.99% space/energy and .1% material? Does this mean we only understand .1% of our reality????

What about string theory and all the different dimensions and parallel universes?

I don't know if my examples help you understand what I am asking. I just keep reading that Quantum Theory has proven Consciousness true? And that this Consciousness is everything and anything? Is it true, has science found this God?

Other than that, Einstein believed in a "Cosmic Consciousness" he found in the order and beauty of nature and cited Spinoza's work. He even in his later years warmed up to the idea of an energy that flows through everything and determinism.
Stephen Hawking even so boldly said "Science is ready to read the mind of God!"

What do you believe?

Thank you ATS members. Without you all and ATS, I would go insane!

If you must know, I am not an Atheist nor religious follower. I just am and am in search for Knowledge and Truth.

edit on 21-1-2011 by SlyFox_79 because: Forgot to say Thanks

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SlyFox_79

They feel like they have an intellectual claim to QM, and thus they feel like it is a form of sacrilege for a woo-woo (their favorite derogatory term) to use QM to support or express woo-woo philosophy. They can be quite angry about it at times, in my experience.

edit on 21-1-2011 by Student X because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

It's all theory..
Let me know when there's some facts and I'll tell you

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Student X

Really???? Is this true? That just sounds silly. Newtonian physics can't hold it ground against quantum physics, it falls apart on the atomic level. I would expect for Atheist's to be more on Newton's side?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Spoken like a true atheist I presume?

wait...are you telling me personally to get evidence because I have been lead to believe that so far quantum theory is mathematically proven through formula's? (hopefully I worded that right). Once again, I'm still learning.
If this isn't true, than please go on....
edit on 21-1-2011 by SlyFox_79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by SlyFox_79
Atheists choose not to believe in God, a god, Consciousness, spirits, mysticism, paranormal, metaphysics due to lack of material evidence.

They do?

Really.... I thought Atheism was a lack of belief in God/s or a Deity?

I didn't realise that I couldn't believe in the paranormal and be interested in metaphysical topics.
Thanks for enlightening me.

And consciousness??? What?

I think you need to either rewrite your OP or educate yourself.... or both.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Atheists undoubtedly hold many opinions about quantum physics. It's not like atheism is an organized church with a pope telling them what to believe. Personally, I find it fascinating. No evidence for a "creator" there, though.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I just keep reading that Quantum Theory has proven Consciousness true?

You don't need to prove consciousness true. Some fools try to prove it false though, which is amusing and ironic.

Quantum theory helps make room for consciousness within the realm of science, but anything beyond that is speculation. See my thread Pegs and holes: In defense of quantum mysticism for a discussion of quantum theory and consciousness.

If you must know, I am not an Atheist nor religious follower. I just am and am in search for Knowledge and Truth.

Good. Don't pretend to yourself that you know answers when you don't. That shuts down your seeking, and is the way of the fool.

"Seek and ye shall find."

edit on 21-1-2011 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Try presenting evidence for psychic functioning that smacks of QM to a community of atheists and you will see what I mean. They would throw a fit as if they were priests confronted with heresy. They want QM to serve them and them alone. Here is an example of the evidence I mean.

Testing nonlocal observation as a source of intuitive knowledge

This study explored the hypothesis that in some cases intuitive knowledge arises from perceptions that are not mediated through the ordinary senses. The possibility of detecting such nonlocal observation was investigated in a pilot test based on the effects of observation on a quantum system. Participants were asked to imagine that they could intuitively perceive a low-intensity laser beam in a distant Michelson interferometer. If such observation were possible, it would theoretically perturb the photons' quantum wave functions and change the pattern of light produced by the interferometer.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
Atheists undoubtedly hold many opinions about quantum physics. It's not like atheism is an organized church with a pope telling them what to believe. Personally, I find it fascinating. No evidence for a "creator" there, though.

Many theories are fascinating but they get really exciting once we see some hard proof..

I'm not a TRUE atheist though, I believe there may be a higher power but I don't believe it is what is described in all these books written by men with agendas...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
im pretty sure some atheists are fine with it being as many are scientists themselves. also, Newtonian physics isnt a prerequisite for a disbelief in a god.
edit on 1/21/2011 by homeskillet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I don't really see how any of this ties to Atheism. Some Atheists I am sure believe or do not believe in QM. As the only thing that is common amongst all Atheists is the belief that there is no God (or probably no God, like with Doubtful-Atheists, not to be confused with agnostics).

More and more of QM is becoming to be realised all the time (I say realised and not understood). Though it is hard to understand, and as a amateur I say I am relatively OK at understanding to some degree. I agree more than other people I know who aren't that interested in and more so than some I know who are but not others. Just because it is currently at the point where nobody 'totally' (and I use this word in a precise way) understands it doesn't seem to tie it into any sort of diety or anything of the sort.

Well done for getting into QM though, it is indeed a brilliant subject, I just wish I could get my GF to understand some, or be interested in it....

You may want to read more - make sure to try books as if you read on the internet there is a tendancy for gathering snippets and it being in proper context and such. Most books on the subject tend to be more comprehensive and have a higher degree of accuracy than web-based material, that is if you haven't done this already.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by homeskillet

But from what I have learned so far is that quantum mechanics has this skeleton in their closest. Consciousness... they say it is. And this Consciousness keeps getting compared to a God type figure. Atheist's have a lack of this belief therefore wouldn't they have a lack of belief in Quantum Mechanics?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Okandetre
I don't really see how any of this ties to Atheism. Some Atheists I am sure believe or do not believe in QM. As the only thing that is common amongst all Atheists is the belief that there is no God (or probably no God, like with Doubtful-Atheists, not to be confused with agnostics).

Thats a myth. Communities of atheists are as vulnerable to groupthink as any other group of humans. I have hung out at atheist forums for years, and I have seen it time and time again. In addition to the belief that there is no God (of ANY kind) they share the belief that there is no psychic ability. They share the belief that there is no ANYTHING that remotely smacks of superstition, mysticism, mythology, etc. Even though they aren't REQUIRED to reject all that to be an atheist, they do anyway. Its the groupthink. Its insidious. They think they are un-herdable cats. Pfft.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Student X

Thats a myth. Communities of atheists are as vulnerable to groupthink as any other group of humans. I have hung out at atheist forums for years, and I have seen it time and time again. In addition to the belief that there is no God (of ANY kind) they share the belief that there is no psychic ability. Or ANYTHING that remotely smacks of superstition, mysticism, mythology, etc. Even though they aren't REQUIRED to reject all that to be an atheist, they do anyway. Its the groupthink. Its insidious. They think they are un-herdable cats. Pfft.

Thank you, you took my words exactly.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

wait...are you telling me personally to get evidence because I have been lead to believe that so far quantum theory is mathematically proven through formula's? (hopefully I worded that right). Once again, I'm still learning.
If this isn't true, than please go on....

Mathematic formulas do NOT prove existence, they merely show the theory is possible within the confines theorised..

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

That you are true. But would you say it has any validity or just none until concrete evidence is surveyed?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Student X

Thats a myth. Communities of atheists are as vulnerable to groupthink as any other group of humans. I have hung out at atheist forums for years, and I have seen it time and time again. In addition to the belief that there is no God (of ANY kind) they share the belief that there is no psychic ability. They share the belief that there is no ANYTHING that remotely smacks of superstition, mysticism, mythology, etc. Even though they aren't REQUIRED to reject all that to be an atheist, they do anyway. Its the groupthink. Its insidious. They think they are un-herdable cats. Pfft.

Sorry you mistook my words, I am not to say there is none of that happening but just by definition of Atheist is the non belief in God. Yes most Atheists do think various other things that tends to get labelled this way, just like other groups.

You said yourself though that you are not required to think these things - these things aren't required doctrine of any sort, they do somewhat come with the terrority often.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

That you are true. But would you say it has any validity or just none until concrete evidence is surveyed?

Define validity in this context...

Is it a valid theory?
Is it a probable theory?

I think it's an individual assesment and opinion..
Personally I like the concept and would like to see it proven..
I'd also like to see cold fusion proven or anti gravity drive..
Both theorised as possible but not proven..
edit on 21-1-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Well, I once read that Quantum Theory is still only a theory because we do not possess the technology advanced enough to test it. Other than that....it is proven true.

edit on 21-1-2011 by SlyFox_79 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join