It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Type Of Entanglement Allows 'Teleportation in Time,' Say Physicists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I'm sorry for double posting this, but the responses in 'breaking news' comparing this incredible and astounding discovery to parts of the female body were pretty disappointing. I was hoping to read some great comments from some clever people.

Anyway .. here's the post.

www.technologyreview.com

Conventional entanglement links particles across space. Now physicists say a similar effect links particles through time.

The answer is that Olson and Ralph's teleportation provides a shortcut into the future. What they're saying is that it's possible to travel into the future without being present during the time in between.

(visit the link for the full news article)

This is amazing.

I've always thought quantum entanglement should work through time, now it seems it's been proven (in theory)

As far as I can see this seems to work from the past to the future, not much good for sending a yes or no signal back in time. Imagine the possibilities if that was the case.

I can't even imagine the implications if this is one day put into conventional use.

edit: I wrote a post about this back in february.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit: link to their original paper
arxiv.org...

www.technologyreview.com

edit on 21-1-2011 by ppk55 because: added more content

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

To see how, imagine an experiment that Ralph and Olson describe in which a qubit is sent into the future. The idea is that a detector acts on a qubit and then generates a classical message describing how this particle can be detected. Then, at some point in the future, another detector at the same position in space, receives this message and carries out the required measurement, thereby reconstructing the qubit.

The process seems like a time-travel fax machine. (If I'm reading that article right)

But that brings up something else. If you "fax" something, you are sending a duplicate to the timespot, and keeping the original here..........................Or do they exist at the same time as long as the process is running?
If I keep this up I will get something sorta like an Icecream headache so I better stop.
edit on 21-1-2011 by Khaaaaaan!! because: post

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
If I'm understanding this correctly, it means a delay in the data being sent?
Is this like information storage with an unbreakable encryption because it doesn't exist presently?
I dunno it's late. Sleep time.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

edit on 21-1-2011 by Planet teleX because: Doubled

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ppk55

As far as I can see this seems to work from the past to the future, not much good for sending a yes or no signal back in time. Imagine the possibilities if that was the case.

I can't even imagine the implications if this is one day put into conventional use.

Well, it would create a type of paradox if we could receive answers from the future. How can we discover something in the future, and receive the answer in the present? That means we've just discovered the answer in the present, so our future selves don't have to find the answer and then send it back to us. It's not logical. However, sending a message forward in time might be plausible. Since we are sending our future selves something they should already know. In fact they would probably have a record of that transmission taking place. If the message was sent from your present self to your future self, the future self would have a memory of sending it. I can't really see much use for this TBH.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
What you would measure is actually a complete, identical copy of the original. However, when this gives rise to much bigger questions when they finally progress far enough to do this with DNA; we would have an exact copy biologically and psychologically with memories and brain activity in tact. Therefore, the major concern and biggest question of them all is to explain what happens to the human "soul" during this transmission? What happens to that individual grasp of conscience and awareness? This is what Dr. Michio Kaku, the most brilliant mind of our generation has to say:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The whole primise of sending your past self a messge from the future has been proven to be paradoxical. Any claim that it can be done is a lie. These people have simply come up with a new way to make the impossible sound plausible. They're taking advantage of the fact that so few people (if any) understand the phenomenon of so-called "quantum teleportation".

The article doesn't clarify the method. It sounds like the sender is supposed to detect the state of entangled particle A 12 hours after it was entangled. The receiver is supposed to observe the entangled twin, particle B, 12 hours before it was entangled. And the later action is supposed to determine the state of the particle that was observed 24 hours earlier. If that's not total hogwash, I don't know what is.

The whole point of so called "quantum teleportation" is that the first detection of an entangled particle determines the state of the later detection of its twin. It doesn't work the other way around. With entangled photons, the sender must be closer to the source than the receiver. With entangled atoms, the distance is irrelevant; all that matters is the elapsed time since the pair became entangled. The particle which is measured sooner after its creation determines the state of the other atom.

What if atoms A & B are entangled on Earth at t = 0. Then, atom A is accelerated to 99% of the speed of light, relative to Earth and then decelerated to a halt several light years away. Now atom A was entangled with B moments ago, but atom B was entangled with A several years ago. Superficially, it sounds as if there might be a way to communicate backwards in time by measuring one of these particles before the other. I believe this situation can be cleared up by recognizing the existence of ether. The reference frame of the ether establishes both absolute motion and absolute time. Information cannot travel backwards in time in the reference frame of the ether. A signal which is instantaneous in the reference frame of the ether may go backwards in time in another reference frame; but if the message is sent in the opposite direction, it goes foreward in time. A two-way communication can be perceived as instantaneous by both sender and receiver, but you can't be both the sender and the receiver without traveling faster than light, so you can't send a message into your own past.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LipanConjuring86

Kaku is totally misrepresenting the facts. He is saying that we can make a photon or atom disappear from one location and an exact copy appear at another location. He's either lying to grab headlines, or he's demonstrating a total lack of understanding of what so-called "quantum teleportation" is. The truth is (in the case of an atom) ,we must entangle a pair of atoms and transport one of them to another location at ordinary travel velocity; then by measuring one of them, we tell the other atom that it has been measured. No atom disappears, and no atom reappears. Nothing is being teleported. Teleportation is the relocation of matter, not information, across a distance at the speed of light or faster. It may be possible to send information faster than light, but that is not teleportation.

This time, Kaku is full of ka ka!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
as far as i have read
(havent read the resurch paper)
it has been posable to entangle and teleport (just like star trek) a photon a small distence of a few feet
the photon is entangled and then projected through empty space to appair a few feet away
as for sending the photon into the past or future
this is news

xploder

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
nevermind
edit on 21-1-2011 by binomialtheorem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhizPhiz
reply to post by ppk55

Well, it would create a type of paradox if we could receive answers from the future. How can we discover something in the future, and receive the answer in the present? That means we've just discovered the answer in the present, so our future selves don't have to find the answer and then send it back to us. It's not logical. However, sending a message forward in time might be plausible. Since we are sending our future selves something they should already know. In fact they would probably have a record of that transmission taking place. If the message was sent from your present self to your future self, the future self would have a memory of sending it. I can't really see much use for this TBH.
What? That makes no sense. If you recieve the answer in the present, then you have no choice but to go back in time in the future to deliver that answer. There's no way getting around it. It's not a movie.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by technical difficulties

What he said made perfect sense. What you said didn't though lmao.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Phractal Phil

Physics as you understand it is far inferior to the work of physicists like Kaku who formulate theories that give direction in effort to redefine and re-evaluate the world as we know it.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LipanConjuring86

I am not attacking the bulk of Kaku's work---only this one video interview. I have long suspected him of being more publicity hound than scientists, but this time he's stepped over the line into flim-flam territory. Just about everything he said was either ignorant garbage or a bold faced lie. If he got paid for that interview, he should be sued for fraud. Even that journalist conducting the interview showed a better understanding of the subject matter than he did. Unfortunately, she appeared to be too intimidated by Kaku's reputation to press her points too hard.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
ok found this

explains things well

xp

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Yes. That video is probably as good an explanation as you'll get without taking a university course on the subject.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ppk55

Couple of things... Quantum Entanglement occurs during the production of BEC's and of course occurs at quantum levels. QE can be physically emulated using magnetic monopoles to increase the size of the entangled structures so that its process is functional within classical reality. This is not new and the papers can be acquired from the NRC under FOIA in Ottawa (adiabatic reactors, electron degeneracy, quantum entanglement, bose einstein condensates) since the research was in part paid for by the Canadian government, but might be considered a national security issue and not be released.

That being said, there are two fundamental problems with QE/QEC across time; the conservation of matter and the conservation of energy. If matter and/or energy can be transmitted/sent from one time to another, one or both of the above laws will be broken. Imagine what would happen if half of the matter/energy of the universe were suddenly transported in time a split second or even 12 months into the future. Our past universe would contain half the mass/energy and the future universe being transported to, would contain 1.5 times the mass/energy if you did mass to time slices (it's an extreme analogy but valid). It would literally destroy the dynamic of the universe. Smaller deficits or surpluses would cause smaller effects, but we have no idea what the cumulative effects would be.

There are additional problems at least with non-temporally related QE which is the ability to create micro-singularities. Let's say you could "entangle" 100 trillion atoms into a single macro-atom through subatomic degeneracy, now you have a single slightly larger atom by "volume" with a mass 100 trillion times the original mass of a single atom. That produces gravity, quite possibly the carnivorous and voracious gravity of a singularity, a black hole. I was involved in a project that was shut down because of this potential outcome. Another problem is the energy required to curve the pathway through non-space between "entangled" particles that have been separated and are at ground state. The amount of energy required is inversely exponential to the separation distance, when the particles come in extremely close contact, less than one angstrom, the energy requirement becomes infinite. What that basically means is it is "cheaper" energy-wise to send a message halfway across the universe than it is to send one next door.

Unless there is a mechanism that can be incorporated that exchanges identical amounts of matter/energy at exactly the same "time", the probability of this kind of exchange working without catastrophic consequences is almost zero. It sounds to me like an interesting "mathematical" anomaly, but altogether separate from reality and I am not saying that it's impossible, just highly improbable.

I've physically and experimentally worked with BEC's and ER/EPR solutions since the 90's and have my own monopoles and adiabatic reactor, so I know a little bit about this subject ;-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Did they tried the interresting part of it ?

Sending an information from the future.

Apparently the scientist had not tried yet ... maybe the military complex will try it soon ?

You know entrenglement work also with energy, not just qubit .... there are allways tricks

soon or sooner ?

Scientist are boring , they want allways a clear theory : because they are afraid they don't the reality

in fact : NOBODY know how the quantum reality works

I SAID NOBODY : even the brightest searcher has just a "theory of 'it'" : and let be clear : it is wrong : because it is incomplete, and because you want it to be whole

a whole linear theory with the same rules everywhere : a beautiful reality
edit on 25-1-2011 by psychederic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phractal Phil
The whole primise of sending your past self a messge from the future has been proven to be paradoxical. Any claim that it can be done is a lie.

It's not paradoxical if the future has already happened.

Imagine any moment in time developing instantly when the universe is born; then the current time is simply the showing of the next frame of the pre-rendered animation...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by WhizPhiz

However, sending a message forward in time might be plausible.

You just did. You posted this on 1/21 and I read it on 1/27. Consider your hypothesis proven.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join