It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican warned Irish bishops not to report abuse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Vatican warned Irish bishops not to report abuse

www.google.com

DUBLIN (AP) — A newly revealed 1997 letter from the Vatican warned Ireland's Catholic bishops not to report all suspected child-abuse cases to police — a disclosure that victims groups described as "the smoking gun" needed to show that the Vatican enforced a worldwide culture of cover-up.

The letter, obtained by Irish broadcasters RTE and provided to The Associated Press, documents the Vatican's rejection of a 1996 Irish church initiative to begin helping police identify pedophile priests following Ireland's first wave of publicly disclosed lawsuits.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
And the hits for the Vatican just keep coming.

Smells like an attempt to cover-up sexual criminality to me.

I just wonder how much more of this filth can be exposed before folks stop rushing to the defense of these religious rulers.

We know that they wield quite a bit of power on many levels, but that does not mean they should be above or OUTSIDE of the laws, especially when it comes to the systematic abuses of children that seem to be ever so prevelant within their heirarchies.

Is this the smoking gun which will expose them once and for all of covering up what is going on within their organization?

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Not suprised at all.
2nd

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
One of my dear friends that Ive had since college days is a Jesuit priest. Im not catholic.. and knew him before he was a priest. Anyway, we were speaking about this years ago and he said something that really set my brain on fire!
He said that many people view the priesthood as a "paycheck", way of life, and lifetime care rather than being a true religious calling and holy vocation. That pedophiles and opportunists choose careers like childcare, teacher, things along those lines because it is a steady stream of things they are attracted to or opportunities. He claims its the same within the priesthood and a dirty secret of the vat that they KNOW many of the priests arent truly chosen men or men that felt a call, but chose the priesthood for selfish reasons.. sometimes criminal reasons. Many bishops feel that they can change these priests and God will work within their souls through exposure in the church and retreat... .rather than defrocking and excommunication.. criminal prosecution is almost never mentioned. The idea is not to involve MAN'S laws and rely on GOD'S laws and help for the offenders.. hence the secrecy. Basically God has the power to effect change and the bishops and vat believe that trumps mans involvement in the crimes.
Needless to say, James feels this is ungodly and the church has lost its way. Man of the Jesuits feel that criminal law has a place in religious matters and do not agree with the decisions. There is a movement within the church that feels this way, but many have their hands ties because the Vat tells tem what the pope/god demands and disallows. Its disallowing full disclosure and cooperation with criminal prosecution against pedophile priests, priests who are sexually active with people of age, priests who commit other crimes, and nuns who do all the same. There are priests and nuns who are involved in drug and gang criminal enterprises.. and a blind eye is turned to it. Its the pedophiles who make the papers, but the church is now reaping the seeds they have sown with allowing these things to be brushed unde rthe rug and trying to keep secrets so they can handle it themselves. I dont think the church ever had found its way.. rather than lost it.. but thats a discussion for another thread!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Well, suffice is to say, the Vatican won't be around much longer. Their only claim to fame is the money they make from their political influence in puppet business deals. Hence the money laundering allegations. Without that, Catholics might be worshiping without a Vatican in the near future.

The Vatican has been suffering from her waters drying up for several years now. The fact that this story is allowed to hit mainstream news demonstrates the Vatican's lack of influence and money that was used to cover this up many years ago.
edit on 18-1-2011 by CodeRed3D because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
There are different "ways" for the Holy Roman Empire pedophile cult to get off on children. The HRE likes to play with the lives of children. Power is their "drug" and the "drug" can be acquired from different sources other than just sexual power over children.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Great find.

I find this part of the article particularly interesting:

Signed by the late Archbishop Luciano Storero, Pope John Paul II's diplomat to Ireland, the letter instructs Irish bishops that their new policy of making the reporting of suspected crimes mandatory "gives rise to serious reservations of both a moral and canonical nature."

Storero wrote that canon law — which required abuse allegations and punishments to be handled within the church — "must be meticulously followed." He warned that any bishops who tried to impose punishments outside the confines of canon law would face the "highly embarrassing" position of having their actions overturned on appeal in Rome.

It seems to me that the statement puts canoni law above or outside the justice system and criminal law. If this is not the case, surely this letter amounts to obstruction of justice and inciting bishops to obstruct justice. If it is the case, there's something very wrong going on there too.

I'd be interested to know more about the legal issues here.
edit on 18-1-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Thing is, in which way can the vatican be prosecuted?
Could the Irish Govt. initiate action at an international court for the vatican's complicity and explicit obstruction of Law in these crimes?
Anyway I don't see that happening anytime soon, unfortunately...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
It is up to the secular authorities to investigate and presecute these swine.
The Vatican is as corrupt ass any other goverment, or mafia family.
The RC church has been sanctuary for a plethora of unworthy criminal deviants.You would think that these leaders of the church would be eager to be rid of these slime who have committed the greatest and most uforgivable sin, as well as pedophelia.(denying the Holy Spirit)
These are condemned to the fiery pit with satan and his minions at the end of the tribulation.
They will never be forgiven by God , nor will they live past their diery demise...
The RC church is quick enough to excommunicate those who are guilty of other lessor sins, yet they cling to these degenerate slime and enable their depradations long past any plea of non collussion....
The very topmost leaders have to answer for the doctrine by which the church has operated.
Or is that just for the branch dividians?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
The Roman Catholic bureaucracy is my number one suspect for the group behind the child slave trade.

It's the guilty who want to avoid the eye of the law looking too closely.

new topics

top topics

join