It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News criticizes memorial before it's even over

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Fox News began criticizing Tucson Memorial even before it ended

Raw Story

It's a memorial and all they can do is pick it apart because it didn't happen the way they wanted it to. This isn't about Fox News. This is about our MSM only criticizing things THEY don't agree with and critcizing things that just shouldn't be criticized.

They should be criticizing anything that deserves criticizing, not just what THEY have a problem with (if they are TRULY unbiased) and certainly not a NATIONAL MEMORIAL for crimeny sakes. They were worried about seating arrangements, Native American blessings, and college students with zeal--because, you know, we're all supposed to be depressed as all get out at any and all memorials according to them. Instead of contributing in their own way to the memorialization of those who died, they spent their time being caddy and almost hateful as usual.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
A liberal website quoting a liberal comedian....... excellent source!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
From what I saw of the thing, the memorial kind of sucked...

for example, they were selling obama t-shirts and bumper stickers outside the thing, for crying out loud. Also, there were a bunch of apparently drunk college kids there acting like they were at a rock concert.

Yeah, it sort of sucked.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by 11PB11

This is in political madness for a reason. The source really has nothing to do with it because I'm not trying to prove anything. I am trying to have a discussion about how out of control our MSM is with the way they handle any and all events in this country. We don't get real information anymore. Just opinion. I clearly stated this had nothing to do with Fox News so I'm not sure why the source being liberal should have anything to do with it. But thanks for NOT contributing to the discussion. I only replied to you to make it clear to others that I am not trying to make this a partisan discussion.
edit on 14-1-2011 by nunya13 because: add "reply to" tags for clarification on whom I was addressing

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
It wasn't a memorial. it was a show. with everyone wanting to be a part of it. It should have been small and not a TV event.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

The memorial insulted it's self. It was a disgrace and a pathetic and sleazy political rally under the cover of a memorial for shooting victims. What in the world gave them the idea that they should instead of holding a decent, heartfelt memorial and instead a political rally is beyond me. It was more or less the rabid progressive crowd screaming for Obama than Obama's actual words (he said nothing wrong) .. but the way it was set up, executed and perceived is nothing short of disturbing.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I kind of agree with some of the posters here, I know this is intended to be directed in a polital madness direction, but I cant let it go by without saying that it did strike me as odd.

Watching the memorial service, I was very taken aback by the interruptions, applause and the like by the crowd while Obama was speaking. You could tell from the tone of Obama's remarks that he had intended his words to be directed at a somber audience at a very touching event. But the audience seemed destined to not be the audience he had intended. I remember commenting to someone at the time that it seemed that most of the people there where attending simpy to see Obama and not to honor the deceased.

Perhaps it was what the area needed to get back on track, that I will never know because I wasnt there, and most of us werent there (Close to all I would tink). I am just explainging how it came across to me. I am not saying that the audience should be ashamed of themselves, of that they acted inapproproately, but they sure acted in a way that surprised me, surprised the President,and probably surprised many others watching the event. I wonder how others would react to me applauding the speaker at the next memorial service I attend, clapping, hooting and interupting everyone's solemn moment.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
If it we're not obama they might have commended the whole thing.
I can't believe that some people can't just step out of the little box that the media create for them and just think for themselves I feel sorry for these pupets. That's wy im independent and can see the flaws ofboth sides
edit on 14-1-2011 by HAMMERAX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

Not sure if you watched the Paul Wellstone memorial; that was a pure political event. This AZ memorial was the same. I mean really? Applause and whistling? T-Shirts given out at a MEMORIAL??? The thing didn't HAVE to come to an end to see it was opportunistic.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I feel that John Stewart and The Daily Show did a good job of picking this apart. I think the points he makes are perfectly salient. Give it a look.

www.thedailyshow.com

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
reply to post by 11PB11

This is in political madness for a reason. The source really has nothing to do with it because I'm not trying to prove anything. I am trying to have a discussion about how out of control our MSM is with the way they handle any and all events in this country. We don't get real information anymore. Just opinion. I clearly stated this had nothing to do with Fox News so I'm not sure why the source being liberal should have anything to do with it. But thanks for NOT contributing to the discussion. I only replied to you to make it clear to others that I am not trying to make this a partisan discussion.
edit on 14-1-2011 by nunya13 because: add "reply to" tags for clarification on whom I was addressing

I was merely commenting on the sources.......How can one criticize the context when the context is in question to begin with? After following politics for years and years... it's easy to see spin in an article. The goal is to either find non-bias articles or read all sides and come to a non-bias conclusion. It's not headlines that nearly everyone puts spin on politics.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

The fact that this memorial was politicized was in bad taste and shameful, of course. That cannot be denied. My entire point is that the way the reporting on the memorial is being handled by the MSM is to put a political spin on it based on their opinion. Again, this is just one more example of my and others frustration with the complete lack of information/non-biased reporting by media outlets that millions (mistakenly) rely on for their news. I just don't think it should be the business of those who are supposed to be informing us of their opinionated take on the memorial. It is just very caddy to sit there and devote time on their show to picking apart a memorial while the memorial is going on. Obviously, people have a problem with the way it was handled. But they should report on that, not on their own problems with it. Does this make sense? I hope I am making a clear distinction here.

I suppose my main purpose of this thread was to vent my frustration about yet another example of how people shouldn't be relying on these outlets for information when every little detail has some kind of spin put on it to get viewers/listeners to feel a certain way about it.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
There was a memorial event? Really? When I was flipping channels I could have sworn it was some Obama rally complete with souvenirs and cheering fans!

Really....Fox has every right to criticize. It was a disgrace!

White House operatives passed out t-shirts to the crowd with Obama's new campaign logo, 'Together We Thrive.' The words were also taped to the seats in which mourners would sit during the service.

Malkin also reports that buses from the University of Arizona at Tuscon flashed the Obama campaign theme prior to the event.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Breaking...memorial service in Tucson turns into political rally - National Conservative | Examiner.com www.examiner.com...

edit on January 14th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 11PB11

I know I was a little harsh. I apologize. It was just that you only took the time to comment on your (apparent) dislike for Raw Story and Jon Stewart rather than commenting on the meat of the matter such as saying if you agree or disagree with what the source was saying, and why.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
reply to post by youdidntseeme

The fact that this memorial was politicized was in bad taste and shameful, of course. That cannot be denied. My entire point is that the way the reporting on the memorial is being handled by the MSM is to put a political spin on it based on their opinion.

i dont think that the MSM is politicizing the event. I think it was already politicized by the nature of those involved. So i guess I agree with your point, just not the underlying reasons.

Unfortunately any event involving Obama will garner this kind of attention because he still has rock star status with many young adults. Any event where it is open to the public and has high profile we will see the same kind of behavior.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I watched the memorial on Fox News. I didn't hear any commentary before I (me) turned it off due to all the cheering going on. I made it to when the young intern left the stage and then I couldn't listen any more. My views had nothing to do with commentary. If I had viewed it on any other channel, I would have thought the same thing and turned it off.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Reading everyone's comments, its obvious a lot of people had problems with the way this was handled. There should never be vendors at a memorial and it appears the college students really were there only because of Obama and proceeded to act as if this was some sort of political rally. People have every right to criticize this. Either way, I still hold to my opinion it is as distasteful for a news source to criticize every aspect of the memorial as it is happening as it is the way it was handled. Two wrongs don't make a right. Perhaps a more responsible way to go about it would have been to report on the average Joe's take on the event.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme

Unfortunately any event involving Obama will garner this kind of attention because he still has rock star status with many young adults. Any event where it is open to the public and has high profile we will see the same kind of behavior.

I'm glad you brought this up. I read on a website yesterday quotes from students at the event. Most stated they wanted to be there because the President was. As they put it, a once in a lifetime chance to attend an event with the President.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

There was so much press about the possiblity of Phelps and his crew showing up (which would have been a disgrace and I am not comparing Obama to him) but then they allow the ceremony to turn into a seeming rally with huge political overtones.

In my opinion this event should have been a somber event of remembrance and reflection.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I dont know about anyone else, but Im getting a little annoyed with the left and Obama in particular telling me how I should feel, behave,say and think concerning this tragedy and everything else they seem to want to dictate. Pretty damned arrogant if you ask me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join