It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News criticizes memorial before it's even over

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Since when do people make up slogans for a memorial though? I have never heard of that before. The college students were treating it like a rally, it is in bad taste.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
It makes one wonder...would this kind of behavior have been tolerated at the memorial for a President?

Did cheering, clapping, hooting and hollering occur at John F. Kennedy's memorial service. Was the passing out of T shirts sanctioned or allowed then?

The answer, of course, is that it did not because of the need for national reverence and basic civility, quiet prayer and reflection.

Now, I'm pretty sure that at John Kennedy's wake there was lots of bending elbows, shouting, back clapping, hugging and yelling. The problem at Tuscon, of course, is that the event was conceived as a venue for Obama to showcase his oratory skills, bask in the limelight and pump up the favorables, much like Bill Clinton did at the Oklahoma city memorial...a memorial that was devoid of cheering and clapping and raving like morons.

It's funny the folks here on ATS can not accept that it was inappropriate. Obama himself looked a little surprised and uneasy about the outrageousness behavior, and he is a completely shameless spotlight hound.

What is not funny is how much of a divide there is about what is considered courteous and what is considered disrespectful behavior. You'd figure we would agree at least a little bit about something like that.
edit on 14-1-2011 by MMPI2 because:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Wow...What happened to your whole "new campaign slogan t-shirts handed out by white house staff"...is this where you just pretend you didn't spend the last page screaming it was true?

As to your most recent post...concerning some folks finding the rally in bad taste...I am uncertain why that is news? It is opinion...and the far right will always find an opportunity to attack...even during a memorial service.

Was this the language that the President used that made the right wing so threatened that they felt they had to attack a memorial service full throttle...complete with now debunked smears?

But what we can't do is use this tragedy as one more occasion to turn on one another. As we discuss these issues, let each of us do so with a good dose of humility. Rather than pointing fingers or assigning blame, let us use this occasion to expand our moral imaginations, to listen to each other more carefully, to sharpen our instincts for empathy, and remind ourselves of all the ways our hopes and dreams are bound together.

Yah...pretty aggressive language there.....just disgusting the GOP lie machine.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Since when do people make up slogans for a memorial though? I have never heard of that before. The college students were treating it like a rally, it is in bad taste.

Then turn your vitriol to the University of Arizona.....I am glad at least one poster is backing up to get the facts straight.

I don't think many of the posters will get there Idealogical Hate "turn on" if the enemy is the U of A though, thus the need to stick to the irrational idea it is a secret campaign slogan.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

Originally posted by Sinnthia
Have any substance to add to it or is this just empty mud flinging?

I think many of these provide sufficient substance to it.

Ok. I understand your points.

But let me ask you... Does Obama or his advance team share any responsibility for not insisting that a certain level of decorum be maintained, consistent with a Presidential appearance at the memorial of slain innocents?

I can honestly say, that if I had been Obama or anyone on his advance team, I would have immediately nixed anything that would have disrespected or trivialized the somber nature of that event.

The fact that this wasn't done implies some folks were there for the political opportunity these deaths provided.

I hope that isn't true. But it seems like it is.

Trust me, I have heard many around the water-cooler objecting to the imagery of that memorial.

It was, in the opinion of many, distasteful to say the least.

edit on 14-1-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Answer me this question, Why couldn't Obama and others stop reading once the crowd started to get loud and remind them what the gathering was all about? Seems the logical thing to do unless he/them is completely unable to speak a word without a script, as a moment pause in the speech and a few simple words would have toned it back down I think.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

And the left was attacking the right before the bodies were even cold FFS... Don't you see that? The left was grasping at straws, doing whatever they could to paint JLL as a rightwing nutjob. I am not left nor right wing, and quite frankly, both wings have made me sick lately.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Ok. I understand your points.

But let me ask you... Does Obama or his advance team share any responsibility for not insisting that a certain level of decorum be maintained, consistent with a Presidential appearance at the memorial of slain innocents?

Maybe...maybe not. To some extent, you let AZ choose how to memorialize their fallen. Pres Obama was just invited to speak...it would seem in bad taste to start telling them what they should and shouldn't do. It wasn't his or his families ..or even his teams place to show up and start telling AZ how to run the memorial.

Originally posted by loam

The fact that this wasn't done implies some folks were there for the political opportunity these deaths provided.

I hope that isn't true. But it seems like it is.

Explained above...any which way...he was invited to speak at THIER...AZ...Memorial....not his or his teams place to tell them how to have it.

I get you on the setting. But the U of AZ student body president and event organizers would be the ones to speak with...they have already explained it was all there doing from slogan to tee shirts.
edit on 14-1-2011 by maybereal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Wow...What happened to your whole "new campaign slogan t-shirts handed out by white house staff"...is this where you just pretend you didn't spend the last page screaming it was true?

White House staff members, in cooperation with ACORN functionaries, along with MOVEON.org and other Obama sycophants handed out the t-shirts, just like they orchestrated the whole rally. It's been reported, the film is out there, the reporting has been done, and the copy has hit the presses.

No amount of whining is going to change it.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
Answer me this question, Why couldn't Obama and others stop reading once the crowd started to get loud and remind them what the gathering was all about? Seems the logical thing to do unless he/them is completely unable to speak a word without a script, as a moment pause in the speech and a few simple words would have toned it back down I think.

Oh, come on man! Don't try to inject common sense or any normal standards of decorum into this debate! It was OBAMA! OBAMA, dude!!

WHOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!! YEAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! BOOLA BOOLAAAA!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Ah, that darn Obama and his applause signs. That crazy president and the way he obviously asked the crowd to cheeer. Damn him. I agree with FOX and friends, the camera placement and seating arrangement for this "show" was all wrong too. I get it now. Obama is guilty of destroying a memorial service because he was in full control of the cheering from the audience. Now I get it.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MMPI2

White House staff members, in cooperation with ACORN functionaries, along with MOVEON.org and other Obama sycophants handed out the t-shirts, just like they orchestrated the whole rally. It's been reported, the film is out there, the reporting has been done, and the copy has hit the presses.

No amount of whining is going to change it.

Since you are a fan of threatening to report folks to the Mods I will tell you about a guy on here form a few years back ...I think his name was Jam67? Well he often lied...made stuff up and didn't back it up...and got banned for it. You can get banned for lieing ya know?

So maybe reread your BS again and see if you can provide some "PROOF! as he was fond of saying.

...let's start with the film of ACORN handing out the t-shirts?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

To begin with, I have a fundamental issue with "opinion" commentary from people who in many cases are no more qualified or suited to do it than you or I are, whose only qualification may in fact be that they can talk and look pretty on TV and happen to be of the correct leaning or a member of the correct camp.

I don't need their biased, agenda-fraught opinions. I'm a thinking, seeing, feeling and perceiving being and I can watch, digest, and formulate my own opinion. I don't need someone else's validation or thoughts to fill in for me, and even if I do watch it, I still may, agree or disagree.

The station I watched the memorial service on (I can't even remember which, but it was not FoxNews) did not interrupt at all. They let it run from start to finish and beyond to the greetings in the audience, and when they shifted focus and started in on the recap, I clicked off. So I can't even comment on their brand of post-game commentary.

The real issue here though, if reports are correct and I've read them correctly, seems to be that FoxNews was chomping at the bit to get their spin out, so they interrupted with their "opinions" before the service was even complete. Perfectly understandable and a perfectly logical next step in an era where being first is more important than being fair or impartial or simple reporting or summarizing the facts.

I remember when the recap after a speech or event like this was done by anchors or journalists or reporters and simply touched on or recapped and summarized the salient points and was done with it. Later came the expanded commentary with some background information added. Still later opinions from said anchors or journalists or reporters. Even later pundits with their "opinions" were added to the mix. Still all respectfully waiting until the event was actually over.

And now it seems we're at the point where they're interrupting even before it is finished to get a jump on their competition in molding your mind.

The next logical step, of course, will be for them to compete with the event itself and shape your opinion all the way through, at the expense of distracting us entirely from the original event.

But of course at this juncture we also still have the choices to watch the station that allows us our own minds and to watch something uninterrupted then click off and avoid the one that doesn't .I won't comment on the mindset or the needs of the people who choose otherwise. My fear is really that they will all take it to the extreme of commenting all the way through and leave us with no choice.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
Maybe...maybe not. To some extent, you let AZ choose how to memorialize their fallen. Pres Obama was just invited to speak...it would seem in bad taste to start telling them what they should and shouldn't do. It wasn't his or his families ..or even his teams place to show up and start telling AZ how to run the memorial.

Actually, yes it was...

Chief of Protocol of the United States

Obama Chic: President Forges New Path in Protocol

I'd say someone either dropped the ball...or didn't view it as a problem...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Like it or not moderators have the right to their own opinion. GEL expressed hers as a member which she has every right to do. It would be a good idea to remember that staff are members and will post as members. Each of us has his or her own opinion and beliefs and each staff member has the right to express their beliefs and opinions. Furthermore calling other members liars is strictly against the T&C which we all agreed to abide by when we joined. Now, back on topic which is the memorial and not other members. Any further violations will be subject to action.

Thank you,
gallopinghordes
Forum mod

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Oh Good Lord....calm down there....we do not provide medical services here for those who are on the verge of a stroke or heart attack.

And the free Obama t-shirts on the seats with his new campaign logo, “Together We Thrive” handed out by White House operatives. And the words, “Together We Thrive,” taped to each chair. And the volunteers in their “Together We Thrive” t-shirts.

SOURC E - The Washington Times

You will see that not once did I point a finger to ANY side nor at our [sarcasm] wonderful [/sarcasm] President.

I did a search it was the first link....yet there are many many many articles saying the say thing.

The university said it did the planning with minimal input from the White House. The school paid for the event, including $60,000 for 20,000 T-shirts bearing the words "Together We Thrive," which were handed out for free. The money will not come student tuition, fees or tax dollars.

Well before Obama arrived, the atmosphere had become celebratory. People lined up for hours, and when the doors finally opened about two hours before the start, a huge cheer went up and the crowd surged into the arena.

SOURCE

The memorial...er Obama rally...was a disgusting disgrace. That is my opinion. Take it or leave it.

edit on January 14th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Lovely imagery.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join