It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the australia disaster being reported overseas ????

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by punterdeb

Yes it is being reported, quite a bit!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I heard about it in our church as they are taking up collections and such to feed resources to non-profits and churches helping out in the affected areas. Other than that, I have had to search out information on the disaster in alternative news collection websites. For the first time since the disaster I saw a man on ATS offer a charity that could be donated to in order to help the Austrialians. Other than that, I only saw my church organize aide in the US.

We hardly hear anything about Haiti either except for ministries trying to help the people there and helping the Hatians is not working out all that great for the non-profits there. It 's overwhelming because the people don't help themselves like they do other places and many are self destructive. Then there is the UN... Tallk about a monster government mess.

When the water recedes, Australia is going to need a lot of help from the US and Europe for materials to rebuild. The size of the disaster is overwhelming. Since flood insurance has to be purchased separately, and many of these people never expected such a huge flood in these areas, a lot of people are going to be without insurance aid in rebuilding their homes, businesses, etc. and replacing their stuff. We had that happen to a lot of businesses and home owners here in the Nashville area recently. They lost everything.

Australia should open up to US and European construction workers who are all out of work when it's time to rebuild! The work has to be done quickly and no country has enough skilled workers to handle that level of disaster.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

It's been very little media over here in Cali for what it should be, I have a close friend inland from where the disater happened and he seems to be ok, not to shed un-neccessary light on the situation. Maybe they can find the money that was supposed to go to Haiti, I seem to remember beeing bombarded with donate adds on tv for weeks. I think Haiti is 100000xs worse now than after the earthquake now. Seems to be a varied response in disaters ranging from Katrina - Austrailia. Smells a bit fishy if you ask me.

Try to compare what you remember about disaster responses - Haiti was instant, comercials were on the air in minutes to get you to donate. Katrina - weeks.

edit on 13-1-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I am in USA and I have not heard about it at all. I do watch the news also. About 45 minutes a day at least.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Scotland - Minimal coverage. Only main coverage is about Brits that are trapped there...from what i've watched anyways but i aint a big news buff

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxPUSH0Noo
I am in USA and I have not heard about it at all. I do watch the news also. About 45 minutes a day at least.

Where do you live? Because I think you're full of #. It's on the news DAILY, granted.. not as much as it should be but trust me it IS there.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Yep, over here in Belgium it is all over the news, almost everyday. And it is also on the news in the Netherlands.

Greetings

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Not really at all... I mean it's their but you would have to have the news channel on all day to catch it! But they never really gives us news here, just misinformation. USA
edit on 13-1-2011 by 1etznabg9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Hi Im from India, state of Andhra pradesh and YES it is being reported here on a daily basis. pray for all of those affected. God Bless.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
It's been the main news headline on tv in the UK for at least the last week. In fact, compared to the Jared Loughner event the Australian floods have had maybe 10 times if not more coverage on our news networks.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I live in Nw Hampshire, in the northeast part of the United States. I heard about it online. Not on the radio. I don't know about newspapers or t.v. But my guess is that it was on t.v. since they always broadcast natural disasters.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
On the (national) evening news I think they talked about the flooding in Australia for all of 30 seconds, then back to AZ.

I'm in the NE US.

Edited to add: I learned more about it from Zazzafrazz calling in to the ATS Live show last night than I knew from the American MSM.
edit on 1/13/2011 by eMachine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I heard in on the BBC and it was a decent review. Though yes, they are not making it out as bad as it is. This is New Orleans x 5 and over. And most of the US media is playing it off as flooding in 15 minute segments.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Being reported in the UK

I know by the BBC, haven't watched Channel 4 or ITV yet.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by punterdeb
This is not a post for the sake of just posting.

PLEASE...can people from countries other than australia let us here all know if this absolute tragic disaster is being reported overseas?

How much media coverage is this story of the floods receiving. Please take 2 minutes of your time to tell us what country or state you are from and is it on the main news, just in the papers or you didnt even know about it.

G'day punterdeb.

Im here in Los Angeles, CA, and sadly, have yet to hear even one word mentioned about this catastrophe.

Depending on what news source you prefer, the liberal sources are all just up in arms about two words Sarah Palin said. The conservative news sources are up in arms about how the liberals are blaming them for inspiring the Tucson shooting.

If you ask me its all a bunch of senseless BS, and isnt even news worthy.

Ive known for a long time that the MSM is literally useless, unless you'd rather have opinion pieces in the place of a story thats actually news worthy.

Why is it that I have to hear about everything on ATS first? The flooding in OZ, not a blip here. The riots and the financial collapse of many european nations, not even a 10 second blurb.

People in this country know which celebrity has diarrhea, but are in the dark with practically everything else.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Nothing on the local news in MA but then again Australia isn't really local in relation to Boston lol. I've been hearing quite a bit on the evening news & such

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I don't watch much TV so I can't commend on that, but here in Illinois in the US they were talking about it on the radio on the way to work this morning.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Fox news, specifically Shepard Smith, has made a point to report on it. You Aussies are not alone; you're in the thoughts and prayers of many!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by curious7
It's been the main news headline on tv in the UK for at least the last week. In fact, compared to the Jared Loughner event the Australian floods have had maybe 10 times if not more coverage on our news networks.

I wish it were like that here in the US.

The Australians are tough, resourceful and proud people, but I think this is a crisis of such magnitude that the international community needs get their butts in gear and start planning how to help.

No matter what disaster befalls people around the world, you can always count on the Aussies to wade into harms way to help.

About time that kind of spirit get's repaid.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by gmax111
As an American here in Gosford, Australia i can tell you the flood is a bad as katrina. 24-7 news coverage so far.. I have talked to friends back in las vegas, NV and they had no idea what was going on.

It really upsets me to know that the U.S. media is the way it is. My wife tells me that when Katrina was in force, it covered their media non stop here in Australia..

What i can seem to understand is "Why?".. Is running a story on the floods here in AUS going to hurt their numbers?

Gmax111, what's happening in Australia now is FAR WORSE than our Katrina. I was just dumbfounded by the MASSIVE size of this catastrophe. I can find news on it online, but it's barely been covered by US mainstream TV news. They seem fixated on the Gifford shooting. I suspect there are a lot of Americans who have no idea just how serious this is. Let's hope TV coverage on this picks up.

And that's not all, the Aussies are having to fight off locusts (?) & wildfires at the same time! What the heck is happening downunder?!

SeaWind

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join