It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France is our biggest ally, declares Obama: President's blow to Special Relationship with Britain

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudtobeEnglish
Withdraw all British troops from conflicts instigated by the US, demand the immediate withdrawal from Britain of all US military personnel/equipment, increase visa regulations for US citizens and start deporting non-essential Americans living in our country. The yanks and the frogs are scum in equal measure.

This may have already been said but I would like to point out that this is not how we all think over here in the uk, just one small minded racist

Sounds like a bit of brown tongue action in a face to face scenario...not a big deal

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I would hardly describe you as a liberal nancy-boy

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Schaden

I don't quite agree with Obama's liking more to Sarkozy than Cameron. Obama and his wife run a tight ship family wise and we all know Sarkozy's skid marks through his wives, mistresses and what ever you call them inbetween. Sarkozy left his 1st wife for wife no 2 then left her for wife no 3.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I completely agree with you.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
First of all, I live in France, my wife is French and the French LOVE America. Even the Algerian kids... practically every kid in my whole town wears a NY Yankees hat. They listen to American rap, rock, whatever and worship American pop culture.

When we tell people that we moved from NYC to France they look at us like we're crazy. They all want to move to the US!

Now don't get me wrong, the French abhor, US mega-corporations, Monsanto, all the war machines. But the French adore Obama, and adore the US.

I saw a T-Shirt worn by an Arab kid at the mall just a month ago. A picture of the Trade Towers, and the bad English underneath - the Big Apple Doesn't Run!

Having a special relationship with the French is great now. Remember the French helped us during the Revolutionary War kick the Brit's out!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeopleParty

yes it might not be the thoughts of the american people but he is supposed to represent the american people isnt he?

Maybe obama should be taught a lesson in diplomacy?

Supposed to? YES! Is he doing so? NO!

Obama is an embarrasment to the United States and he should be charged and convicted of High Treason.

Yes, I said treason. Ostrasizing an ally who has soldiers fighting alongside and protecting American soldiers, in a war that we started, was not a very smart thing to do, and probably jeapordized the morality shared between soldiers.

I seriously doubt that even a small percentage of Americans would agree with Obummer's statement. The POTUS is supposed to represent and speak for America and Americans, yet he runs around the world apologizing for our pompousness and arrogance. He's not accompished a single of his campaign promises, except to shove a health care bill down our throats that's absolute crap.

Who the **** does he think he is?

Oh yeah, a one term president, who will go down in history as one of our worst.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I honestly don't know what it is with Obama when it comes to the UK. So far, during his term he has committed a series of slights, and faux pas against the UK, its leadership and its people. They range from this to various snubs to the whole gift debacle. Honestly, I'm at a loss as to why. As far as I know the majority of the UK seemed to be in his corner during the election - at least from what I could tell from the msm.

In other words, I can't think of what the UK (or its people or leadership) could have done to him to deserve the treatment.

To those in UK - speaking only for myself, I'm as mystified by this as you are. I don't know if he is just dumb, naive or bears some kind of unfounded grudge. Anyway, speaking as US citizen - I have nothing against the French, but the UK is our biggest ally - Obama is wrong on this.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by idealord

I tend to see less of that in the South West region. More rural I suppose. They have an underlying mistrust of the USA. Although, I must say, they have taken to American and English music.

True, the French help the British colonists in America break away from the crown and for an independant state.
Additionally, the French still blame the English for burning Joan, even though it was the French who handed her over. LOL

I think that you have to be rather cautious of French politics. They tend to bend in the direction that the wind happens to be blowing. If the wind suddenly changes.................................................

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Obama has a chip on his shoulder when it comes to Britain. Seems he can't hold back his personal bigotry against it. It almost always comes shining through. My thought on this ... more leftover crap from him being abandoned by his Britain-hating rolling stone daddy. He's trying to make up to a long dead and long lost loser father who abandoned him .. by picking up on daddy's political leanings and carrying them out .. winning acceptance somehow or showing that he is a good lil' boy so daddy shouldn't have left. It comes through in a lot of things with obama ... and his attitude towards Britain is one of them.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Well, I heard through the dust of the Middle East that when the Americans invaded Iraq they "obtained" something VERY precious from Saddam's main palace that was to be shared with the UK and the Americans did'nt keep to their agreement.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
this is laughable, i assure you my countrymen do not feel this way.

recently there was a thread asking if americans hate the british...answer? not really....its the french we cant stand!!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Interesting.

Has anyone else read anything regarding the Americans poking around the ancient sites in Iraq and teams of archaeologists digging around looking for something specific?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Being Irish but VERY MUCH EUROPEAN I have to laugh at this because it is actually funny to see the reactions of the Imperialistic Brits.. Which I´m sorry, but are the only ones I have any kind of issue with from that fair Island.. Which is one of my favorite places on the planet.

But I´d like to point out..

In Thirty/forty years, 75% of the militaries of Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Poland, Spain etc will be under centralized control and this wouldn´t matter. You don´t want to see it but everyone knows its your only future in the world.

You Brits got into the recent wars for the same power projection purposes as the US.. So why do they have to be your best friends?

You guys are more European than American, you just like American movies too much and are OBVIOUSLY just too lazy to learn another bloody language.

Get over yourselves. The Empire is gone.

So who cares who the Yanks like more!!

Still tho, I don´t understand how he could say France.. Unless there is a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes.
edit on 12/1/11 by Dermo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by RelentlessLurker

Has nothing to do with mainstream citizens of either country. When you put politicians or world leaders together in one room of course there are going to be clashes of personalities among them based upon their morals and ethics. I would'nt regard Sarkozy's personal life a moral and ethical one by a long shot. As a leader, I'm not French and only the French can judge Sarkozy whether or not he is a good President.

As for Obama, in my view, is a wonderful father and husband, but as a politician and world leader he does'nt cut it for me and needs to do ALOT more for his own citizens than externally.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
In regards to obama I hope the birthers dont win against him. other wise he will be a brit with keyan parents. We dont want him over here. So hes best sticking with the french, after all they are americas oldest allies. I dont mind americans. They cant hold their drink and get a bit lippy now an then. Other than that, they are ok

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
In a rush right now.

But just want to say I'm against the war in Afghanistan and I don't think we have a special relationship in the way people think.

However it is a little insulting when we are shedding blood for the Americans in Afghanistan.

It's a little like a slap in the face.

The U.S government treats us with contempt half the time.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by LestatG
I wonder what he is after? Anyway, it's ok to have a best friend amount other friends!

It is a strange one though, is it possibly because Cameron won't bend over as far as Blair and his boys did?
Only time will tell.

Peace

UK and France recently made some kind of joint military agreement - so it's perhaps no coincidence that BO is courting the French right now. Cameron doesn't bend quite so willingly as Blair did, it seems, so BO is now 'working' on Sarkozy.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
I honestly don't know what it is with Obama when it comes to the UK. So far, during his term he has committed a series of slights, and faux pas against the UK, its leadership and its people. They range from this to various snubs to the whole gift debacle. Honestly, I'm at a loss as to why. As far as I know the majority of the UK seemed to be in his corner during the election - at least from what I could tell from the msm.

In other words, I can't think of what the UK (or its people or leadership) could have done to him to deserve the treatment.

To those in UK - speaking only for myself, I'm as mystified by this as you are. I don't know if he is just dumb, naive or bears some kind of unfounded grudge. Anyway, speaking as US citizen - I have nothing against the French, but the UK is our biggest ally - Obama is wrong on this.

Perhaps it's more about UK/Israel than UK/US - given that Israel runs US. UK has been critical of Israel, is making noises about recognising Palestine as a nation, etc., so maybe they perceive this as punishment. Also, remember, the Obarmies were left off the William and Kate wedding invitation list, Sarkozy's were invited. There is definitely a chill in the air.
edit on 12-1-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

I thought he had relatives here? So you would think he had some feelings for the UK, even if he doesnt like our leader

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackcube
If I was French I would say... "No thank you for such friendship. You better keep UK as your best friend"

Lets face... who want such friendship... dragging you around to so many stupid wars and endeavors...

I agree, this could be a lucky break for the Brits.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join