It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was told about this by a CDC rep....

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2003 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The West Nile virus wasn't as bad as SARS, was it? They figured out a cure for it didn't they? Also, was the West Nile a form of pneumonia such as SARS or was it something else?

posted on Mar, 28 2003 @ 08:05 PM
link   
well, thank you dragonrider for making me even more afraid to get out of my comfortable, well grooved chair.

personally i feel that the risk of getting it is extremeley low, although i was planning on going to an arcade, but apparently a shopkeeper (maybe 2) contracted it and it isn't recommended to go. (I live in the west end of Toronto)

beh, ignorance truly is bliss, i so want to be ignorant right now.

P.S. westnile i do not believe there is a cure for, and it is carried by mosquitoes, therefore it is seasonal (at least here it is). Last summer our provincial government did little to even monitor west Nile so this upcoming summer it is going to be bad.

posted on Mar, 28 2003 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The West Nile virus wasn't as bad as SARS, was it? They figured out a cure for it didn't they? Also, was the West Nile a form of pneumonia such as SARS or was it something else? Posted by The Catalyst

West Nile still has no cure, that I am aware of (I might well be wrong). West Nile has left the public eye for the winter as it is spread by mosquito, which are dormant for the most part right now. Also, the hard winter freeze likely killed a lot of them off, so hopefully this coming year the West Nile Season wont be so bad.

Both SARS and West Nile seem to have equivalent mortality rates, approximately 4-5% of all cases die from it. However, what is especially scarey about SARS is that it is obviously airborne, and has little to no response to any known medication. Granted, only 4-5% of victims die, but the vast majority are still hospitalized, and a siginifcant number are only alive due to intensive care life support...

posted on Mar, 29 2003 @ 09:36 PM
link   
SARS easier to spread and catch than first thought.... Just what we needed to find out...

Over 1500 worldwide confirmed with it.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2003 @ 09:49 PM
link   
that's what we need, but that's what it needs too. it's only a matter of time before we find a cure, if it is true that they have found a cause then a cure shouldn't be too far off if they have contained virus' in the same family as this one

posted on Mar, 29 2003 @ 09:55 PM
link   
heh this is great. in the u.s. im not really hearing *anything* about this. all there is on every other channel is war. i havent really seen hardly *anything* about SARS. It would be nice if they would give us a few details, provided the fact that there is no cure and all. While schools are being shut down in some countries we arent even being warned!!?? It could be spreading throughout my place of work, or my siblings schools and i would not know??? Why are they ignoring this?? =\

posted on Mar, 29 2003 @ 09:55 PM
link   
The problem with that is that the viruses in this family took years to find a cure, and many thousands of deaths.......

That is assuming that thier tentative identification is correct and valid... I am of the opinion they may be stating this simply to allay public fears.

Besides, the doctor who initially IDed this thing just died today.... of SARS...

Also, based on conversations I had with the CDC, if this IS a chimera, there is likely NO chance of a cure....

posted on Mar, 29 2003 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I dont know, dont think so. The cruise ship virus was similar to a stomach virus, caused diarrhea, vomiting, but no severe fever or breathing difficulties.

I am wondering if the Norwalk virus on the cruise ships may have been a trial run, to see how easily it can be passed in a contained volume like onboard a ship?

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Second hospital closed in Toronto area due to mystery illness
Sat Mar 29, 4:59 PM ET

TORONTO - Health officials closed a second Toronto-area hospital to new patients and said Saturday the number of probable or suspected cases of a flu-like mystery illness from Asia continued to increase.

Severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, has killed three people in Canada and caused authorities to advise thousands of people in Toronto, the largest city, to quarantine themselves at home for 10 days � the infectious period of the illness.

All hospital workers in the Toronto area have been ordered to wear masks, gloves, gowns and protective eyewear to prevent infection from the highly contagious virus.

Complete story HERE.

88 new cases of deadly disease reported in one Hong Kong housing complex; officials quarantine one block of apartments
Sun Mar 30, 10:22 PM ET

HONG KONG - Health officials said Monday that 88 more people from one apartment complex have fallen ill with a mystery flu-like disease, bringing the total number of cases there to 213.

Hong Kong's health secretary, Dr. Yeoh Eng-kiong, announced the big rise in severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, cases in a news conference just hours after authorities imposed a tight quarantine on one block of the Amoy Gardens complex.

Yeoh said 107 of the sick people were from Block E of the Amoy Gardens, and most of those cases were from the same two apartment units on several floors of the building, raising the possibility that the disease was spreading vertically.

Story link HERE. Emphasis mine.

Alright, folks, I'm getting reeeallly nervous about this...

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The world is certainly getting interesting....

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Just thought i would post some info that civilians may not have heard from their local hospital or AMRIDD or wherever!!!

A young girl in Tokyo was brought in 3 days ago with suspected SARS and immediatly quarantined within the hospitals Bio3 lab. After performing the usual tests for SARS they discovered that without starting the treatment the girls immune system was fighting it off due to having the same disease when she was 7yrs old!!

The doctors sent for help to the CDC and after a long debate they sent over a team and they revealed the same conclusions. The young girl was only given oxygen therapy and small amounts of IV fluids bt no drugs or antivirals to combat the disease. Around twelve hours later the girls symtoms had vanished and she was feeling alot better.

The CDC and hospital doctors were very confused and after some further study they brought it down to two possibilities:

1: the girl had only recieved a minor case of SARS and since she was young and healthy she managed to fight the disease off by herself.

2: When the test results came back from the CDC they discovered that the girl had a minor protien in her blood that made the disease start to break down within the 12 hour period that it is the most infectious...

My theory is that one of her ancestors had SARS long ago or something close to it and had a natural resistance to the syndrome?

Anything else i find i will post!

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 10:01 AM
link   
ha this is starting to sound like stephen kings the stand...

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Okay.....

1: i have never read the bloody book so don't quote it!!

2: What the hell would you know?

I am a nurse who has direct links to the CDC, Portna Down and the WHO...i have to deal with sarcastic little buggers like you all the time and you know what i do to get them to shut up?

A 10CM NEEDLE FULL OF 5mg OF HALIPRINDOL!!!!

If you don't know the facts then just keep quiet...i am dealing with figures of the outbreak and have a meeting tonight in London that i have to fly down to and back again all in one night then go on duty for a 15 hour shift!!

DONT MESS WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Blade Runner
ha this is starting to sound like stephen kings the stand...

Yikes!!!!! I was thinking the same damn thing!

dom

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Calm down ravenstar. The Stand is just a novel where a mystery virus wipes out 99.9% of the worlds population. The books follow the trials and tribulations of the survivors.

I think it was made into a 6 hour drama or something. I seem to remember it starting well and quickly disintegrating towards poor-horror.

Anyway, point is, he was just making an off-the-cuff remark with no sarcasm intended.

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Just read on Heraldsun.com that Hong Kong officials had to quarentine a whole housing unit because 213 people in that ONE building has the virus. More scientists are thinking this is airborne.

Link

On a personal level I must admit I am growing more worried about this now. My wife has to take 3 different flights in the next 2 weeks and that worries me; particularly since she is 5 months pregnant. The only saving grace is that they are all domestic and none international.

posted on Apr, 1 2003 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Just want to apologise!

Kinda cranky for last few days..missing friends and family in Iraq at the moment and i one of my friends has just been killed in a car accident!

so, sorry everyone!

posted on Apr, 2 2003 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Latest Headlines on SARS (Not at all encouraging...)

news.yahoo.com.../afp/20030402/hl_afp/health_pneumonia_virus_030402200121&printer=1

Silent Carriers

www.sun-sentinel.com...

2 cases in Florida

www.pennlive.com.../cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?d1930_BC_PA--MysteryIllness-Pa&&news&newsflash-pennsylvania

5 cases in PA

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 12:42 AM
link   
rense.com...

Quote from the article:

Who is behind this SARS madness? I accept the risk of triggering your "conspiracy theory" buttons by identifying the widely recognized "global military-medical-petrochemical-pharmaceutical cartel" as the only suspect that can wield the powers necessary to effect these frightening outcomes.

Although you may find it comforting to simply consider this a conspiracy theory, I view SARS is a huge conspiracy with very few witting villains. Clearly, what you are witnessing is a well organized terror campaign carried out by mostly well-meaning, yet grossly ignorant, "authorities"-medically indoctrinated and virtually hypnotized "Manchurian candidates" if you will allow me to postulate.

Indeed, people are dying from SARS. Yet, I diagnose this illness, by medical-sociological parameters, as a grotesque scam perpetrated for a greater purpose than simply fueling a multi-billion dollar "cottage health industry," as some analysts have written.

Alternatively, I propose that Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, may be best diagnosed by SARS's telltale dependence on the propaganda used to herald its presence, prompt hysteria, and broadly engage social and economic resources. In military intelligence circles this is called standard "psychological operations" (PSYOPs).

I further suggest this fright's likeliest purpose is in facilitating evolving economic and political agendas that ultimately include targeting approximately half the world's current population for elimination. Much of this will be accomplished, not with SARS, but quite effectively and efficiently by the widely anticipated "Big One" discussed later on this website in a feature article written for the Associated Press by Emma Ross.

Have you bought your plastic sheeting and duct tape yet?

I posted a clone of this in another thread...sorry for the deja vu.

deleted

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Worldwide bug pandemic warning

"Efforts to stop a deadly pneumonia may not prevent a global explosion in cases, a world-leading infectious disease expert has warned.
Dr Julie Gerberding, a director of the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC), said on Thursday that a massive scientific drive to beat the illness may be too late to prevent a major outbreak across every continent of the world."

news.bbc.co.uk...

I've had this in the back of my head for a couple of years. I think it's possible this, along with the fanning the flames of terrorism is part of a plan to stop anyone travelling anywhere in the world at all and isolate all populations to there home country, where with less outside influence (excluding the net) they can be more easily controlled and fed only the info they want you to hear while they carry on the task of purifying the world.

Yet again, a little 1984 creeps into my brain...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join