It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was told about this by a CDC rep....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The agency that I am a part of was required to attend a very recent terrorism preparedness seminar. We were introduced to numerous federal agency personnel, including the FBI, FEMA, CDC, and USAMRIID.

During the lunch, I started talking to one of the CDC reps. We started talking about the Smallpox innoculations, and I eventually asked him about what the CDC thought we might possibly face during a potential bio attack. He was somewhat hesitant, but indicated that the Russians during the Cold War days had come up with a class of bioengineered diseases called Chimeras (see attached link), that were designed specifically to have no possibly cure. He also indicated that they had evidence that such materials were available on the black market....

I am keeping an eye on the developing SARS outbreaks... it has the hallmarks of a bio attack...

www.zkea.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 09:29 PM
link   
More cases reported... they claim that its not as virulent as first thought, but this may be an attempt to prevent public panic....

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 09:30 PM
link   
More cases reported... they claim that its not as virulent as first thought, but this may be an attempt to prevent public panic....

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider

i heard through news the incubation period was 7-9 days .. what are your figures ?

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 09:44 PM
link   
i heard through news the incubation period was 7-9 days .. what are your figures ? Posted by Karl Malarious

To my understanding, if you were to make a highly contagious and easily transmissible bioweapon, you dont want it to be too effective or fast acting, otherwise your victims would die before they had a chance to pass it on to the rest of the enemy population. An asymtomatic incubation period of about 5-7 days, while still being contageous, would be about optimum for a bioweapon.

This appears to be borne out by reports. This disease appears to have been transmitted by the carrier during the incubation period, before symptoms appeared.

While we are talking about it, I am noticing that the vast majority of these cases seem to revolve around airports... it has long been my worst fear that a truly effective bioweapon release would likely be released at a major international airport. If a highly contageous, airborn disease were to be released in the air vents at say Dulles or HartsField or DFW (the busiest airports in the world) with a 5-7 incubation period, by the time first symptoms show up, it would easily have spread world wide, and might well be unstoppable...

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Does anyone know about that "american businessman" who transported it through china ? or were the chinese the first victims and he transported it to hongkong ?

SARS FAQ:
www.who.int...

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Boy that's scarey dragonrider. Is it true that we could have 14 cases in the United States now? I just heard about the one in N.M. and California. They claim that they are in fair condition.

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Strange indeed,

Thirteen microbiologists have died since Nov 2001. Just a coincidence? Hmmm...

rense.com...

deleted

AF1

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I know nothing about Chinese bio-warfare, but thought that someone else might. Does anyone think that China has the technology to make one of these viruses? Seems pretty suspicous that it would originate from Hong Kong, where their are plenty of international people flying into and out of. Just a thought.

dom

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Might be interesting to mention that there are quite a few conspiracy theories around the origin of HIV. I seem to remember reading some US govt documents that were describing how to create an untreatable virus which attacks the human immune system. Some people suspect that one of these "chimera" prototypes escaped the lab due to it's long incubation period...

Does anyone remember that conspiracy thread? I never read a cast-iron rebuttle.

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 06:01 PM
link   
www.ananova.com...

This just posted: A commuter shuttle grounded in Glasgow with 3 ill aboard. No word on if they are possible carries of SARS, but strange illness.

Raven: Be very very careful, hear me???

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Origins of the SARS is traced to a specific hotel and floor on that hotel...

Wonder if maybe it was released at a convention or something???

www.unknowncountry.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 06:16 PM
link   
CDC investigating 11 potential cases of SARS in the US...

www.theworldlink.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 06:25 PM
link   
erm, there is a case less than 8 mile away from me, it was the first uk case, but it was on the local news he was getting better, and now nothing, not heard anything for days..

he came from kong kong via amsterdam to manchester, manchester airport being about 2 mile away from me..

[Edited on 21-3-2003 by The Blade Runner]

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 06:44 PM
link   
264 worldwide cases reported,could be the start of a epidemic.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Might be a coincidence that he was a medical professor.

more on the 1st case in britain

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 06:48 PM
link   
he came from kong kong via amsterdam to manchester, manchester airport being about 2 mile away from me.. Posted by Blade Runner

This is obviously spreading via airports and air travel which makes me think it is some kind of bio attack. I would highly recommend postponing air travel for a while if at all possible.

If you hear anything else about that UK case, please post...

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Caution may certainly be recommended. Yet i dont think it's a grave threat since 250 cases in one week isnt that much, moreose because airports are places where you have many people on the same spot.

Fox

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Those are reported cases your writing about. How many people report they have the flu ? It could be the tip of an iceberg. However, if this is a bioweapon attack I would think it would be difficult to cover up. Also, we are very affraid of a bioweapon attack at the momment and the media is all too aware of this, they will keep it brewing to sell papers no matter what it is.

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 06:40 AM
link   
aha, but if 100's of people start to get this, that is when the healthcare will decrease and people will start to die at home, soon as a major outbreak happens it will be so difficult to contain, martial law?

[Edited on 21-3-2003 by The Blade Runner]

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Over 300 and rising.

Dragonrider, more on the 1st UK case and i think we are up to 3 reported cases now.So will we see more over the next few weeks?

news.bbc.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join