It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ship turned away after spiders started 'pouring' from cargo hold

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Before i start i would like to say this is old news and i had totally forgot about it until now. So here it is.
I came across this and wanted too bring it to the attention of ATS members because i believe that theres more than meets the eye here.
A ship from south korea just so happened to nearly drop off thousands of spiders of unknown species in Guam? Now dont get me wrong here but yes id expect a hundred or so in total but literally thousands!.....somethings got my spidey senses going here.
Is it at all possible that the South Koreans knew exactly what they were doing here and tried an attack of sorts by other means?
My Questions to you
1 Does anyone know what species they were?
2 How did they reach such high numbers, unless it was on purpose?
3 Where did the ship go when refused dock?

www.telegraph.co.uk...
Customs officials discovered the infestation in the MV Altavia’s cargo after the South Korean ship docked in Guam, one of the Mariana Islands in the western Pacific Ocean.
Thousands of spiders, some with bodies as big as 10 pence pieces, started pouring out of the ship’s crates as Guam's Port Authority workers began moving the containers off the boat onto the dock, last Wednesday.
One crate made it onto the dock before the problem was realised.
The shipment had been destined for a US military base construction site on the island for 8,000 US Marines.
The ship was told to leave the port and moor off shore while officials investigated if the species was venomous or posed any danger, Guam's agriculture officials said.

www.dailymail.co.uk...
The creepy crawlies were seen when dockers began offloading insulation and beams for housing units from the vessel which had travelled from South Korea.
Agriculture officials said they did not know what species of spider was on the ship.
But they said it was a type that was not normally found on Guam and there was concern that it could damage the island's environment.
‘It's not on Guam,’ Mr Torres added. ‘We don't want it here.’
The ship was carrying housing units and accessories which were to be used at a village expected to house up to 18,000 temporary workers.
Before the ship initially docked, officers with the Guam Customs and Quarantine Agency boarded the ship and gave clearance for cargo to be unlocked for offloading, said Bernadette Meno, an administrator for the Port Authority of Guam.
But when port workers saw the spiders, the containers were ordered back on the ship and it was anchored in the harbour.
The decision was later made not to let the ship return.

So what do you think?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
What do I think?

I think spiders are ugly little creatures and I run away from them like a scared child!

Honestly though, this is a strange story and the first I have ever heard of it.

My guess is that somehow they got onboard, multiplied and thus the result.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Kim jung ill since he knew it was destined for a us military base.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Thats exactly what i thought looking back at it now. On the other hand i was thinking of a couple of other reasons, one of which was along the lines of somehow mass control of spiders
2 something to do with lab uses trying to find the secret to spider web strength and somehow escaped
to be honest i aint a clue all i know is that something is definately not right.

More importantly where did they go and what was the ultimate decision?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

Kim Jong Il is from North Korean, not South Korea where this ship was from.

Animals/Insects/Arachnids have been getting free rides from ships around the world ever since shipping started. It's probably just a weird case of a momma spider laying eggs and having them all hatch at the same time just before docking. Either that, or someone was trying to (unsuccessfully) illegally ship spiders for black market purposes.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

I know secret spy delievered insects....Man outta box that is all. I know where Nk and Sk is
the tailed 1z home.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Here's a link to a follow-up news story ...

Black widows visiting Guam

The spider's bite can be dangerous, but the black widow isn't aggressive, said Territorial Entomologist Russell Campbell yesterday. "Some people get a little bit over antsy about them," Campbell said. "But I lived with them in the mainland for decades, and I hardly ever saw one and was never bitten by one. They like to hang out in out-of-the-way places, and they come in containers now and then."

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

This that you have supplied is a later date. The event that ive brought here they dont know what type the spiders were. Also i dare say that a few thousand is a bit...............whats the word?....suspicious.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MentorsRiddle

That could be the case, There could of been a lot of food for them and no predators. All so if the ship took a while to get from A to B, it could of given them enough time to multiply into the thousands.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
We've got bigger ones here now.

I don't know what kind it is but we have a massive aggressive hairy legged one here now.

More invasive species will be coming. Especially once the Marines get here. They travel the world and critters will easily stash away in their goods and make it to Guam...then Hawaii.

Wait til Hawaii gits our brown tree snake. They get big enough to eat your cats and small dogs.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Slightly off topic but I bought bananas at Costco and while on the expressway going home I caught something out of the corner of my eye. It was a FREAKING HUGE banana spider alive and well sitting on my chest. I practically crashed the car pulling over to the expressway emergency lane, jumped out screaming at the top of my lungs running up the grassy hill because it was clinging to my shirt.

Yes my most embarrassing moment in life was ripping my tshirt off on the side of the congested expressway.
It was amazing how fast 2 trucks pulled over to "help" I was so freaked out I had the men inspect the entire inside of my car.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
They cannot be worse than bed bugs. Nastiest critters in western society disgusting or what.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Bachrk

If it was in fact an actual banana spider, you are very lucky!

The Brazilian wandering spiders appear in Guinness World Records 2010 as the world's most venomous spider.

Link

Maybe you should go buy a lotto ticket

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

Completely different country.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This is downright strange. As an avid spider hater (aside from Spiderman, of course) I would be completely freaked out if i saw spiders literally POURING out of a hole in a ship that I was on. Talk about some peoples worst nightmares.

My Question is how the hell did they all get there?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by IDKWTB

Sabotage? Deliberate? It has to be due do the numbers.
There's also the other reason I mentioned which still pops back. What if they escaped accidental and the spiders were being used for their web? Super strong flexible material? It is ridiculously strong. They would love to know how to replicate it.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieJesus
reply to post by Bachrk

If it was in fact an actual banana spider, you are very lucky!

The Brazilian wandering spiders appear in Guinness World Records 2010 as the world's most venomous spider.

Link

Maybe you should go buy a lotto ticket

All I can say is it was big BIG, hairy, clingy with long legs

edit on 5-1-2011 by Bachrk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Two things...Kim Jung Il is from NORTH Korea....The ship is from South Korea...America's ally.
Second...I assume you have never seen or learned about spider egg sacks...many breeds have hundreds or thousands of eggs per sac...and multiple sacs...In the crates ,in the hold....with nothing to pray on them...and no weather to damage them....A lot of babies hatched out.....
No secret labs....or tiny madmen...just nature....
nothing to see here.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10

Thousands of spiders, some with bodies as big as 10 pence pieces, started pouring out of the ship’s crates

‘It's not on Guam,’ Mr Torres added. ‘We don't want it here.’

Funniest thing I've read today. Even funnier than comments by the dead bird people.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I HATE SPIDERS. If I was on that ship I would have lost my mind. More realistically I would have either a) jumped off the ship or b) curled up in a ball and start twitching my lower right eye lid and sucking my thumb while singing don't worry be happy now... I dread the day when I find a banana spider crawling on my shirt on the freeway. For that day will be my last. I'll go from 65 - 0 in about .1 seconds.
edit on 5-1-2011 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join