It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Come on ATSers! Let me explain something to you

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
As an educated individual, I find it VERY difficult to read this message board sometimes.

I truly want to believe that there will be something of major significance, and when I find it, THIS would be the place..

That being said..

It is HAAAAARD as heck to give ANY credibility to ANYONE who comes on here, and BUTCHERS spelling of simple words. Now, for those forum members that are not from the US, fine I do not expect perfect grammar and I dont pay any attention, but when someone INSIDE the US spells these SIMPLE fricken words wrong.. I just cannot and will not lend ANY weight to what they're saying, and usually, I dont even finish reading their post.

Let me give some examples, without naming names..

obvious ones:
To, too, two
their, theyre, there
a, an (please for the love of god, learn this rule)

Simple words I have RECENTLY seen spelled incorrectly:
sense (spelled since)
where (spelled were.. multiple times, pretty much eliminating the "typo" excuse)
space (spelled spase)
no one (seen this on SEVERAL occasions, it is actually two words, not one)

When you cannot spell correctly, please do not press onto me that you have dilligently and intelligently researched the vomit that is about to exit from your brain, unto your fingertips.. because I for one, regard you as a pure waste of valuable time.

On a separate note...

Please people, STOP with pushing GOD onto others. I have no religious beliefs, I do not believe in a God, I do not disbelieve, however, one thing that makes me so damn sick is when people use the "Oh God is in my corner, you better repent, I will forgive you because I have God in my corner" cut down, you have instantly and probably unknowingly lowered your credibility to zero with many of us on here. If you believe in God so much, and he is in your dreams (lol) and speaks to you regularly (lol... oh, and seek professional help) then MAAAAYBE he could whisper a little sweet nothing into your ear like "hey, before you post this on ATS in my name, remember, I am an ALL LOVING GOD, I am the one who judges, not YOU"... just a thought.

Also..

Please please please stop with the following:
"there is already a thread on this, jesus dont you use the search? god your such a newb on the interwebs I HATE YOU" - its not necessary, there are mods to close threads like that, we dont need 10000 little do-gooders

Claiming that there is OUTSTANDING information on a subject matter on a thread, that just happens to be from a post on this very same website.. and OH MY GOODNESS, its YOUR POST!! No one obviously cared enough to read your message, or read it and skipped over it, please do not spam other threads with it (90% of the time it is unrelated to the thread)

I cant make it clear enough that the most USELESS GARBAGE posted on this website daily, is stuff like this
"my girlfriend had a dream, she dreamed that blah blah blah.. its all doom and gloom and were all gonna die, and I think you should all be scared.. and" and I think youre a useless ATTENTION WHORE. Share your thoughts, the dreams, cool.. not my cup of tea, but when you clutter a thread with explanations and such, it really gets old fast.

UGH

/rant

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
You can't change the intelligence of the internet community, and the endless rants about it get more annoying than the actual spelling errors. Learn to live with it or get off the internet, it's not going to change. Sorry to be so blunt.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Then why are you on this site if you are going to correct everyone? Oh no, someone misspelled a word or used it wrong. Get over yourself g-unit. Not everyone one on this site is Jesus such as yourself. It's an opinion based website. Take it with a grain of salt. You seem like the type of fellow, or she male who takes every word of this site to heart. Book'em Dan-o!

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

No problem, youre more than entitled to your opinion, and I mine. I however, (like yourself, kudos) will spell correctly and if I can get ONE ra-tard to stop posting or at least spell check before... I win in my mind.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ReaPErofSIN

If there is anyone who takes everything (or anything for that matter) on this site to heart, they need immediate help, mentally.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Can i get an amen... how on earth do manage to make spelling mistakes when the comment box is equipped with a spell checker.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Wow another person who thinks they know it all. I know this is the rant forum but you can't "explain" something to an internet forum full of people from ALL walks of life. You do realize not everyone speaks English, not everyone has a degree, not everyone is out of school, not everyone is as smart as you think you are.

Do the spelling and grammar errors drive me nuts? You betcha but do I get all pissy at people because they don't type or spell like me or how I think they should? No, it's their choice...so what. If you don't like something why not help them or inform them instead of being mean?

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
People are people. Its nice to be proper, but don't rub it in people's faces.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Unfortunately a spell-checker doesn't determine correct usage, it merely lets words spelled correctly pass and doesn't know the difference in words as where, were, and we're or two, too, and to. It does, however, know that the word is spelled "receive" and not "recieve", though most of us are supposed to remember it's I before E except after C.

Really, even though I have known many engineering professionals and others with credentials that couldn't spell for beans, spelling for many is a glaring statement about what one might expect in their post.

If a forum for Rants is not the place for a spelling rant I do not know where might be. Thanks to the OP for making his rant here and not in middle of a thread.
edit on 3-1-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
It is unfortunate that you are more interested in the package then the content. Especially since the rules of grammar and spelling you wish to so militantly enforce are a relative anomaly of the 20th century. As if they have any bearing on the ideas thoughts and concepts conveyed or diminish the understanding of them or the profoundness of a great concept or principle...

I guess some folks who have spent so much time book learning and accomplished little or nothing because of it have to try and justify all that wasted time somehow. So some chose to chastise others for not strictly following the rules of grammar and spelling they were forced to use during that time since it is all they have left... Sigh!

Oh and one more thing, perhaps you should take responsibility for what YOU CHOSE to read instead of expecting everyone to only post things you approve of? No one is twisting your arm to read anything here.
edit on 3-1-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by dmefoc

I dont pay any attention,
I dont even finish reading their post.
their, theyre, there
dont need 10000 little do-gooders
youre a useless ATTENTION WHORE.

Don't you have an apostrophe key on your keyboard?

I will know disregard your post

edit on 3-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
[quote of mannered content removed]

What a prime example of the sheer ignorance people have to put up with.

I saw someone earlier today say "Ears Drop" as opposed to Eavesdrop.

It's one thing to constantly be learning, but for the likes of the person I am replying to, get over it and work out your own insult.

pfft.

edit on 1/3/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Woooosh...

2nd verse same as the first

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by dmefoc

You claim to be an educated individual. You pose as an authority but you have a LOT of errors in your original thread that you need to fix. Two examples would be the "please please please" without commas included and the ellipses.

Also, why do you care about whether or not people push god onto others? If you don't like it, then skip those types of threads. It is that simple. Stop whining. If you were educated, then you would know how logical that sounds. You don't read ALL threads, do you? By the way, you are pushing your own agenda by telling people what they can and what they cannot express.

About repeated threads, you call people "do-gooders" (gooders is NOT a word) and yet you are a hypocrite because you have made a thread about that the mods, if they were snobbish like you, could do themselves.

Like others have mentioned, as long as you get the thought and idea behind the thread, it does not matter if there are spelling errors.

Your thread is so ridiculous, stupid, and hypocritical that you HAVE to be trolling. Otherwise, you need to check the type of education you received.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
[quote of mannered comment removed]

Is it

Go tuck yourself into bed and get some rest?

edit on 1/3/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by dmefoc
reply to post by SpearMint

No problem, youre more than entitled to your opinion, and I mine. I however, (like yourself, kudos) will spell correctly and if I can get ONE ra-tard to stop posting or at least spell check before... I win in my mind.

You contradicted yourself again. If people are entitled to their opinions, then you should have no problem with the type of threads they create, be it be about god or some mundane. You also misspelled "youre" and you spelled retard as ra-tard. Again, you're trolling.
edit on 3-1-2011 by DevilJin because: no reason

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Everyone knows that american english is derived from proper english so our spellings/grammar are right!
edit on 3-1-2011 by benintheuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I was under the assumption that this site is not geared to English native speaking individuals but rather to a global community. Having said that, perhaps a person's spelling or grammar should be viewed with more of a " hey nice to read your thoughts". You would be surprised at how many people avoid posting due to their lack of English skills. Also at times the occasional written abuse regarding the above mentioned does everything to hinder people in actively voicing or should i say, typing their opinions on various topics.

So in the spirit of free thinking, lets try and keep things on a rational level and see www.abovetopsecret.com as a global exchange and not as a English only native speaking member web site.

Peace
tristar

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Through school and still now, I have looked at it as though 'you can either spell or you can't'.

We sat in class and chanted our way through spelling lessons, for some people this didn't sink in, but this does not mean they don't have anything interesting to say.

MM

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join