It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Families offered healthy food vouchers in UK. A step in the right direction?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Families in England are being offered £250 million worth of free vouchers in a bid to encourage them to lead more healthy lifestyles.
Here is the article uk.news.yahoo.com...

When I first saw this article I thought okay really good idea. Then I read a bit more.Great moving in the right direction.........Then I got to the sponsors and my opinions changed. Birds Eye, Kellogg's, Unilever and Nestle to name a few. These companies are hardly notorious for healthy eating, are they?

Looking at the change for life website by government run NHS seems innocent enough www.nhs.uk...

Four million £50 voucher books will be available through the News of the World newspaper and Asda supermarket.
Asda for anyone not from the UK is now owned my Wal Mart so they defiantly have our best intentions at heart, right?
Edit: Forgot to mention the News of The World is owned by News Corporation ( Murdoch) en.wikipedia.org...
So they are not after addition paper sales,Are they?
So I assume it is just a ploy to get people into the shops (a loss leader) These will be money off vouchers not free products. Then again if it gets people to look after themselves a bit better not all bad , I suppose. Although lining the pockets of the greedy corporations. Damn am contradicting myself!!! Okay enough typing. What do you ATSers think??
Take Care Regards
edit on 2-1-2011 by maythetruthbeknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I doubt this will change anything. What happens when the vouchers run out? £50 may sound a lot at first, but that's about half a weeks shopping for a family of 4. Organic foods are one of the main health foods that are batted about as a good addition to a die, but they are just a big con. Originally we had food with no preservatives and the likes in, then we started paying more for food with preservatives in, as it was apparently better- now we're being charged more again for going back to the way we were. I understand the reasons for this, but, nevertheless, it's a bit daft.

This just isn't sustainable and, as you say, the backers are very suspect themselves when it comes to healthy eating. I remember there was a big scandal with Kellogg's, not all that long ago, whereby they were portraying their cereals in adverts, particularly the childrens range and "Special K", as far more healthy than they actually were.

The thing is, everyone already knows about healthy eating nowadays- people just can't afford it, or don't care. Personally, I feel lack of exercise is more to blame- the situation isn't helped by the fact that almost every child has a games console and various other electronic gadgets that they'd rather play on than go out. I'm only 22, but when I was

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ScepticalBeliever

I agree with you exercise is key to being healthy. The kids just do not want to go out side any more but that is a different thread altogether ...Maybe will make it soon.. Anyway mate take care and appreciate your input.
Added you as a Friend. Regards

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I think it is familiarizing the average citizen towards foodlines and rationing.

The names of the companies themselves are your first clue. We will begin to see more and more moves in this direction as the global census continues to rise.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I guess its a matter of what is deemed as 'healthy'. Can they buy GMO's with the vouchers? Can they get vitamin supplements, since they are now deemed 'toxins'?

"Healthy Food' is a subjective term.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Also a one time 'bone' being thrown out to the most needy at a time when corporate corruption is at its peak with trillions having gone out in bonuses for the CEOs and elite of this corrupt price gouging group of insensitive sell outs out the human race. This amount while may sound honorable, is but a drop in the bucket to these companies.

This is a red herring and going to portend something very sinister in the near future for the same people who this targets.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

ONLY GMOS, you know that.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by maythetruthbeknown

I'm not sure this will make much of a difference. People are already addicted.

What makes me laugh is when I see politicians and sportsmen and women come out in support of all these healthy eating campaigns and exercise campaigns and then, when London gets the 2012 Olympics, who are it's biggest sponsors?

Coca-Cola.
McDonald's.
Cadbury.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by captaintyinknots

ONLY GMOS, you know that.

Thats kind of my point. Could this be a guise to get positive attention to these so called 'healthy' gmo's, and the such?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Another interesting thin here:Change4life is majorly backed by Tesco, who is an arm of the Royal Bank of Scotland.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

As I see it... It all seems to be generated towards positive advertising for said companies. They throw a bit of money towards it, the same as they do with an advertising campaign and they come out smelling of roses, so to speak.
The thing is the general public lap it up. ....That perception of the corporation is your friend needs to change.
In time, maybe.....take care

edit on 2-1-2011 by maythetruthbeknown because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join