It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guess who owns most of the mining rights to the moon?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
No, they won't.

The idea that all the floating rocks belong to no one and shouldn't will be slowly dealt with as mining on other floating rocks become possible. How are you going to back up your claim? How is your nation going to stop me?

The real kicker won't be international treaties.

It'll be who gets out first. The second important point will be who controls traffic in and out.

Orbital missile defense is bound to not work. However, those same orbital defenses as a method for patrolling and controlling traffic in and out, it'd be pretty damn fine. Hard to miss a cargo space plane.

Getting out of the atmosphere will be more difficult and therefore easier to control than getting things in. To get something back onto the planet, I only need to make sure it can survive entry and that someone can retrieve it from the ocean.

The resources won't be the thing to control. Controlling the SKILLED resources needed coming and going - that'll be the way to back up non-Terrestrial claims and their administration for probably several hundreds and perhaps several thousands of years.

No truly international body currently has the ability to do this. A few groups of nations working together might have the ability to do this.

This is where the real space race is. Coming late to the game will require a larger upfront cost and garner less power in the long run,

This is information which is just about useless for you as an individual in your lifetime. However, if you have longer term plans which extend to your descendents, it may not be. Now, you just need to figure out which entities to put your hooks in.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Who owns the mining rights to the Moon? Hmmm let me guess... Uh.... DICK CHENEY?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
how can you own the moon? just like they do on earth, plant a flag, claim it, then fight wars over it.

It's pretty silly when you think that this was actually the mentality many years ago....

Enjoy the clip

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Jed Clampett has owned the rights to the minerals on the moon since the 1960s.He is willing to sell them for the right price though.If interested,please call his representative,mr drysdale at the first national bank of beverly hills.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Please delete this post

edit on 30-12-2010 by The Djin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I will plant a flag in this thread.

It's mine now.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
And just who gave them these rights?
Who has the legal right to do so?
I can make a guess who it is that Thinks they do.
Really hoping they get the surprize of their arrogant lives.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Some of these threads just crack me up... Guess I know too much.

I dismiss this as a useless intellectual concept.

The only humans that actually have 'rights' to the moon, are certain black government and military establishments... anyone else is waiting on the ol' NASA rocket. Giddy up!

Yet, the moon is ancient... it's lifespan is beyond what you are taught by academia. Quite a few structures have already been identified, as in the documentary 'Moon Rising'... A highly recommended film by Jose Escamilia.

In all reality, you can bet on UFOs showing up before any civilian contractor is mining the moon.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Nebulous1973

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. You have to own something or at least have a claim to ownership before you can sell something legally. Maybe it's a scam and is illegal?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
If I owned part of the moon, I would build all the machines the US should have been building 100s of years ago. Those advanced machines.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I got dibs on Jupiter and all of it's moons.

If thats taken, than Saturn and it's moons.

Wow I just suddenly became a quadrillionaire.

What am I going to do now?
I am going to Disney Land!

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Planet Earth can't own the moon because it isn't ours.So it doesn't matter if you say you own it you don't.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I wouldn't worry. Anyone trying to exploit the moon will have to contend with the Greys who use the moon as a base.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I thought there was an international agreement by major space faring peoples such as the US and Russia in 1984 that no one and no country could own any terrain on the Moon exclusively...

I do not remember mining rights, that is true.

Wonder if anyone would care to research this treaty.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
It's funny how we humans forget our designed laws of property and rights have nothing to do with the real laws that rule the Universe.

We dont even own the land we walk for gods sake

edit on 31-12-2010 by AboveTheTrees because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
The movie Moon really shows where this is going. They need that sweet sweet Helium-3.

I'd volunteer to go be a moon miner, sign me up. I'm like a hikikomori anyway.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
all the mining rights have gone but i am selling some land out there for anyone whos interested, 500 dollars an acre and buy 2 get one free, dark side is half price as the views are not so good.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I don't think anybody can own minig rights on the moon because where should they derive them from? According to the UN "Agreement Governing the Activities of States on the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies", "the moon is not subject to national appropriation by any claims of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means." (Art. 11 (2)) Although that does not really concern mining rights, it does concern the exercise of souvereign rights on celestial bodies. One might argue now that the Moon Agreement hast little to no binding force, as only 13 Countries have yet ratified it (the U.S. beeing not among them). However, the Outer Space Treaty contains a similar provision in Art. II and is considered applicable if the more specific Moon Agreement can't be applied. And with 98 Countries having ratified it, while 27 more have signed but not yet ratified it, the Outer Space Treaty is considered applicable and standing public internatinal law.
So, as no country can exercise souvereign power over the moon, they also can't grant anybody mining rights, simply as countries would lack the legal background to enforce them against other interested parties. However, as public international law is only binding on states, not on persons, people might come up with the idea of selling or buying extraterrestrial property or minig rights, and there'll always be people interessted in that kind of business. But if anyone who ownes such rights would seriously try to do someting with them, they would pretty soon find out that they are worthless, because no court on this planet would even seriously adress the issue of enforcing minig rights or moon property rights against another person or even state.
edit on 31-12-2010 by DonOdie because: corrections

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
You too can own part of the moon

buy acres on the moon

I personally don't think ANYONE on this planet has a right to claim land on the moon as their own but hey it's fun to buy it and get a nice certificate that says so...

We all know or at least I think I do the govts of the world will claims stake to anything they can get to.

So when do they start selling off Mars?? When they do let me know, I want Gusev Crater!

Thanks for that website link. It's a cute idea. I didn't click on the Order Now buttons, but looks like prices start at about $18.00. Maybe I'll buy one and let you all know.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

There already are such laws. Most spacefaring nations have already agreed that the moon is similar to Antarctica...i.e. NOBODY'S.

Unfortunately, no.

Who Owns the Moon?

My brother 'bought' a piece of the moon in the 1950's. I think it was a promotion for Amazing Science Fiction Magazine. So the scheme is not new. However, the magazine made sure everybody knew the 'deeds' were nothing more than novelties.

To the extent that Denis Hope tells his marks customers that the deeds are novelties, like the magazine did, it is OK. If he doesn't make that clear, then he is committing fraud.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join