It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun's Path in 2010: in a single frame (Time lapsed- very interesting)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Scenes like these are why we like ATS.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by IrishTruckie
Cool picture! But why are the shadows off? it seems like he is looking north and the sun is coming from the east but the picture has the sun in front of it. look at the hydrant.

I think the foreground was only taken once, and the "Suns" added in later. If the foreground was actually photographed 36 times (there are 36 Suns), it would not be as sharp and clear, becuase items would change over the course of a year -- such as the trees and the flowers in the window boxes. Also, there is only one cloud in the sky. Was the sky perfectly clear on the 35 other occasions?

Another "wrong" shadow is the shadow of the photographer on the left hand side. If the Sun was in front of the camera, we should not see the photographer's shadow. Also, the photographer shadow would be blurred if it were truly photographed 36 times -- nobody could be in the exact same position 36 times. Plus, by the very nature of the photograph, the shadows should overlap in 36 slightly different directions, due to the Sun being in 36 slightly different locations.

Due to the unchanging shadows and other unchanging items in the foreground, I'm convinced the foreground image was added later, and NOT really part of the actual analemma images.

HOWEVER...Having said all that, it is still a beautiful shot of the Sun's analemma, even if the foreground of the image was artificially added later.
Let's call that "Artistic License".

edit on 12/29/2010 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Don't let Von Helton see this, he'll freak out and make a video that the Sun has gone off course because of Nibiru and the giant reptilian ship hiding out there just waiting to attack earth once the moon cracks into pieces and the tides go crazy and flood the world. OMG we better store up supplies and lock and load. lol Our only hope is to elect Von Helton president cause he knows everything about everything and done everything twice. Plus he has special powers!

Seriously, this is a beautiful post. If you have ever noticed you can find this shape on most globes. And many show the date along the path. Wish I had the equipment to do something like this.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ByteChanger
reply to post by anon72

Ok... I very well might be wrong here.... But doesn't the sun just sit there in the middle of our solar system and the planets follow a path around the sun?

Still neat picture....

Yes, but the Earth is tilted 23 degrees. In the winter time, the Northern Hemisphere is tilted more-or-less "upwards" during the daylight hours, while in the summer, the Northern Hemisphere is tilted more-or-less "downwards" during daylight hours.

Because of this tilt, the Sun would appear in different parts of the sky during a specific time of the day in the summer when compared to winter. This difference of location of the Sun in the sky happens gradually over the whole year, and the "appearant path" is this figure-8.

The tilted Earth is also why for those of us in the mid-latitudes in the Northern Hemisphere, the Sun rises in the ENE in the summer, but rises in the ESE in the winter (with a similar, but opposite, effect in the Southern Hemisphere).

edit on 12/29/2010 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

This thread is absolutely awesome! Thanks!!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by B.Morrison

pretend like the sun is stationary, since the photo is taken at the same hour each time.

The figure 8 is actually just a round shape with a upward curl at each end.

It may look like a figure 8 but it is simply an oblong, wavy oval.

Think of a Pringle.

Hope that helped,

A.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

that's interesting, It would be great to find out for sure one day, thanks for the reply

-B.M

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

wow now that is cool and trippy! really nice picture, that just makes us realize how big our universe is! that is just our sun! how about a star constilation over the span of a year??

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Very cool. Just goes to show how various Elliptical orbit's vary.

2ND

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Analyzing

kind of..so the path isn't actually 'intersecting' its actually 'overlapping'...?

the paths don't cross through each other at all it just looks like that from where the image was taken?

if that's in then yup I can understand that

-B.M

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Very intriguing....I guess that perhaps whatever ancient scholar who invented the symbol for Eternity may in fact have been privy to the fact that the sun makes this design in the Sky. Not surprising, really considering how much knowledge they had of the movements of the planets & stars. If anything though I guess I have a newfound respect for the infinity symbol and what it expresses. To the ancient astronomer, there could be nothing better to illustrate the continuing movement , and everlasting nature of time than the movement of the Sun through a span of a year. To think that such knowledge as the passage of the Sun could possible by encoded in such a simple symbol is truly breathtaking.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Time lapse - this time the Moon.......

Courtesy: Ethan

TL Lunar Eclipse....

Courtesy: XWare

TL Sunrise over the Statue of Liberty. Looks pretty cute!

And finally, Arctic Ocean midnight Sun....

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Wow these pictures are amazing! Ive never seen these before
The moon ones are pretty cool too, i wonder how the other planets annalemmas look like! Venus has a really weird orbit viewed from earth dont it? It does these short little loops that make it look like a star or something, its hard to describe but i think you guys have seen it! Imagine how an annalemma picture of it would look like?

Is there any other types of these long exposure pictures, ive seen the one on the stars those are amazing, like a spiral of concentric circles all going round a single axis

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

this is just wonderful, i'd give you a hundred stars if i could. thanks for sharing. i must confess: didnt know sun had an 8-shaped path

it's quite reasonable for the Sun to follow an Infinite-symbol walk

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

Oh, you good, yes indeed.

I was just wondering about the moon.

Awesome Pics. thanks for putting them up. I like the ocean one the best.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Droopy
That aint no fckn sun u morons

What makes you say it isn't? I agree that the foreground is probably added into the picture later for "Artistic Effect" (the shadows are wrong), but the composite images of the Sun itself look real.

Can you tell us why we are morons for thinking this is the Sun?

edit on 12/30/2010 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Great post, Cheers for that, Brilliant pictures !, It would be great to see a "Map" done showing the whole solar system, wonder if we would see any more recognised shapes like the eternity sign ?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Great thread!

I love the way people are asking about shadows and the foreground.... read the original post properly and the corrections to earlier comments on the shadows and foreground!

If you bother to read it you are told that the foreground WAS added from a seperate picture from the same place

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by JimmyBhoy

Im with you. Although I hadn't thought about the recognizable figures/images that may result.

Maybe you are onto something. Hmmm.

<< 1    3 >>

join