It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumbling all day TODAY (12/28/2010) in Western Washington

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I have lived close to Seattle my whole life. I grew up in West Seattle, moved to Burien when I was 20, then to Seatac, then Federal Way, and have been in Federal Way almost 10 years now. I have heard this rumbling off and on my entire life. I have always known it wasn't a regular jet, but have always assumed it was some type of plane at either Seatac Airport or Boeing Field. It has always come from that direction. I have always wondered if it lasted a little too long to be a plane, but have never paid it much thought. I can actually hear it right now, with my windows and doors closed. And a jet flying over at the same. Definitely two different sounds.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Hi Mike. Yes I will do a slower on in a minute or two. Meanwhile here is the longer clip using a high pass filter @500Hz which actually makes the sound a bit clearer.

500 Hz High Pass

That would suggest that the sound is above 500 Hz in it's main components since the high pass filter will mask out lower frequencies than that. Using the low pass filters I can get it to sound like an earthquake! (It is not by the way.)

Half speed version 500Hz HP

edit on 29/12/2010 by PuterMan because: To add half speed link.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Interesting. So if the main component of the sound is apparently above 500 hz, but the one that the OP noticed is apparently much lower, then it's a relatively complex sound. Makes me wonder what could be generating it.

It's a puzzle for sure...

Mike

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
you might find this of some use RSOE EDIS - Emergency and Disaster Information Service and the link is
hisz.rsoe.hu... hope it helps

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

About an hour later I went out for a walk and to my surprise I heard it the WHOLE time!!! It is coming from the SouthWest...off the coast, towards puget sound.

Can you still hear the sound?

If you can cup your hands behind your ears to amplify it and then slowly turn round until you identify the strongest direction and make a note of it. On a map draw a line from your house in the direction of the sound and see if it passes through anywhere interesting.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

If I run the low pass filter on that clip, thus effectively masking the higher frequencies it makes no difference to the trace at all.

Spectrum of it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/20d69d1a52b2.png[/atsimg]

And it's waveform

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d69b83d424dc.png[/atsimg]

Finally a 10Hz Low Pass version.

What interests me is the rapid cut off of the rumble.

edit on 29/12/2010 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

It may sound dumb but the next time you hear the sound go outside and put your hand on a large rock that is on the ground or even your sidewalk, try pressing down on the heal of your hand, if it is coming underground you'll hear it.
It even works when people have some hearing loss. Hope it helps.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
I wish Shirakawa still visited ATS, he could turn it into and audio wave file and we could look at the frequency's picked up from your mic.

Eh? Who? What?

Well I mean is he the only person in the world capable of doing this?

No, don't think so!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Dunno if this got mentioned yet, but I noticed another thread earlier today that insinuated that the much-anticipated "pole shift" is happening right now... Could this be linked to the rumbles?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Puterman - You Rock!!! and crack me up often for that matter.

and to stay on topic, I wonder if the sound is related to magma on the move.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

OK, now I am concerned!!! You can hear this sound AND it is showing on the seismos?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/030a88765729.png[/atsimg]

I could only get St Helens as many of the other seismos are out of action. Data stops earlier on to day.

This is just a taster to whet your appetite /worry you while I deal with the sound file but I am assuming here that the stopping point on the sound clip you recorded is the same as the rapid ramp down above. I'll be back as Mr Magoo said or was it Swarnold Archenegger?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Not sure if this could be a possibility but what about HAARP?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
OMG.....
I stayed up so late last night that I slept in, and look at what I have missed!!! I am sooooo sorry you guys. I'll try to get caught up. Just a couple of quick comments first, and then I am going to go for another walk down my street (away from some noises) and try to get some more audio, if it is still there. (really hoping it is)

You guys ROCK...especially YOU Puterman!!!! I knew you could break it down, and that if my seismo friends got invovled, we could make some connections. I found a couple of odd seismos last night too, Puterman but hesitated to link them since I wasn't sure they were connected and didn't want to cause any undue panic. The fact that you have connected them now honestly has me a bit jittery.

First, I think it important to better locate this current rumble. For me it is MOST definately SW of my location. I am about 80 North of Seattle, 20 miles from the coast. If you look at a map, I am just east of a town called Mount Vernon. Based on other posters, I think that puts it in somewhere near puget sound, which is what was kinda freaking me out. The plate, the plate.....oh that scary plate.
(right about where we had the 6.7 some years ago)

I first noticed it at about 12:30 PM yesterday. I went for my walk around 2:00 PM (pacific time....5:00 east coast time) and recorded at about 2:30 PM. I last heard it around 4:00 PM. There was then a chain saw going next door and I couldn't hear anything else, but I think I sitll felt a rumble,

OK...more answers later, I will do some seismo surfing and make a map. Right now...off to find more hard 'evidence'.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

OK, these are very fast versions of the whole of the seismo race from B205 Mt St Helens from today 00:00 UTC to just after 20:00 UTC.

The first file is @ 32000 Hz. Since the original is a 100Hz instrument that means this is 320 times as fast as it actually happened.

B204-EHZ@32000Hz

IMHO this is a mechanically produced sound. When you listen it has reasonably clear cut offs, i.e. you can tell when it stopped. It does not have any of the 'buzz' of instrumental interference or telemetry problems so I would say that it was external to the instrument and associated circuitry. I don't think it is HT since I would expect that to vary more. It has none of the characteristic crescendos of HT at high speed.

The next one is the same instrument, but on the LHZ channel, which is a 1 Hz instrument. This is a 2000Hz file so is 2000 times speed! The die away of sound at the end is actually as it is on the file.

B204-LHZ@2000Hz

All I have done with these ones is speed them up.

The question is could this be a boring machine? Possible. What I question is that you would 'hear' a boring machine so far away and above ground? You may feel it but how far are you from the subway construction?

Forgot to say - you do hear an earthquake in this set about in the middle. Very hard to tell in the LHZ file but clear in the EHZ. This is almost certainly the 6.6 @ Vanuatu that you are hearing.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d2405d71a609.png[/atsimg]

edit on 29/12/2010 by PuterMan because: To add interesting stuff to edumacate peeps

Link to seismo by you at Mount Baker. Nothing particularly noticeable. MBW.UW..EHZ.2010.363

I have the waveform file now so I will analyse it.

edit on 29/12/2010 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
It's probably deep tunneling efforts. I heard several yesterday afternoon in southern MD. They are deep sounding. Not jets. I live near two military ordinance testing facilities but they normally announce their activities so not to alarm the public. I used to hear them on a regular biases two years ago but they seemed to have subsided. Probably just doing some last minute house cleaning before they need to go into full service...

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

very cool. The first one made me think of a tea kettle sitting on the stove, about to blow its top off! Yah, I heard the quake. I honestly thought first of Helens yesterday, but then I was thinking too about that new undergound volcano off the coast....but it's a few hundred miles out there.

I think I am WAYYYY too far away from subway construction activity to hear it. It takes over an hour by freeway (on a good day) to get to Seattle.....that's a lot of ground. I'll put a map together in a bit.

SOOOO.....I went for my walk, and although I have a numb face and fingers, it wasn't very exciting. I think fate was working against me. As I started out, I saw right away that today would be much different. They were doing road construction!!! A nice big bulldozer, roller and dump truck running around. UGHHHH....I couldn't hear myself think let alone anything else. I went a couple of miles away in order to hear anything. Finally, down around a corner, I heard it. It is not as strong as yesterday but still there. This might be partly due to atmospheric conditions; it is ten degrees colder with a cold front blowing north to SE. SO...compared to yesterdy, I now have freeway noise blown at me which is much louder than usuall due to the temp and it's also blowing the rumble away from me. I still think I would feel it more though, even with this which makes me think it is decreased from yesterday. I tried to tape it....hard to believe, but it is even harder to hear than yesterdays, but you CAN hear it. It is a longer, cleaner recording so perhaps with the right HZ isolated, you can pull something off there.

I wish I knew how to change this to a sound bite...but I just don't. It is much faster for me to just post the vid and let the experts have at it!!!! There is some wind noise towards the end...but you listen carefully at the lower undertones to the static noise, you can hear it the whole time. This is what makes it so different from anything else, the constant level.

Once again, before you listen...while there was some freeway noise from afar, there were NO jets going over at the time. The very low, constant rumble that rises and falls a bit is what you are listening for.

There is a kind of 'ebb' at about 12 sec, 22 sec and 41 sec after the wind noise.

That 'knocking' sound you hear is the wind....the 'static' noise you hear is the higher freq background noise from the freeway. The lower resonating freq noise is the rumble
edit on 29-12-2010 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I put together a map showing my general location and the direction I think the sound is coming from. Perhpas other ATS that are hearing this can add to the map? Put their location and direction in a different color so we can compare?

Also, for comparison, here is a map showing where the 6.7 quake occured back in 2001:

Puterman (or anyone else
) you might be interested in this spectograph from yesterday:

Link

and this one:

Link

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Originally posted by whoshotJR
I wish Shirakawa still visited ATS, he could turn it into and audio wave file and we could look at the frequency's picked up from your mic.

Eh? Who? What?

Well I mean is he the only person in the world capable of doing this?

No, don't think so!

Of course you can do it also.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike

Thank you for the thread, OP. This sort of thing is an ongoing mystery and it's always interesting to see what theories people have. The fact that you were able to get some recordings is immensely helpful, especially with members like Puterman who can analyze them.

Just wondering if you could answer something for me: I heard dogs barking... I assume they're either yours or neighbour's? Could you give an opinion on whether their behaviour have been at all unusual lately? Do they seem more agitated than usual, for example, or perhaps don't want to go outside when they normally would? Anything like that would be worth noting as various animals can be sensitive to things that humans often don't notice so much -- if at all.

Thank you.

Hi Puterman,

as the OP is not around, I've uploaded a copy of Shenon's longer sound bite .wav file to your page. I uploaded it unencrypted so there's no pw needed.

Here's the link to it, copied from the upload page.

Quite clear low rumbling between about 4th to 10th seconds. Apparently 70 to 80 hz but running it through my speakers they get very unhappy which suggests there also also some much lower tones there. I'd be interested what you make of this as in my mind, it's reminiscent of some of the sounds Shirakawa created from seismo files on the YS thread a year or so ago.

Best regards,

Mike
edit on 29/12/10 by JustMike because: I added an extra reply to save making a new post.

Thanks for posting and for doing the work on the audio....much appreciated!

I'm also very fascinated with this phemomenon. I have been reading about it for some time now, but yesterday was the loudest/strongest I have ever experienced. You ask a good question about the dog. It was mine, I have three actually. I have one (a poodle) that seems most sensitive to seismic activity. He acted VERY strange right before the last larger one in California. I even posted about it just a few minutes before it struck. They always bark when they first go outside, and the one you heard was barking at our chickens.

I believe in animal behavior being related to tectonic activity. My dogs have been a bit different ever since the big one in Haitai and more so since the chili and cali quakes earlier this year. More neady, standing and just staring at me like I am suposed to do something but they/I don't know what. As far as the past few days....I can't say for sure with the dogs. They aren't particularly restless...but they are going outside a few times more than usuall and my sensitive dog keeps running to back and barking frantically at something that isn't there. Maybe there's a racoon hanging around....I don't know. Now my chickens are a different story. They have been giving us five eggs daily for months now. The past four days have produced only ONE. Nothing has changes. Same light,food,water, etc. Maybe just the season....but it's wierd.

I hope I answered your other questions with my previous posts for times/locations.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I too, have heard this rumbling in the deep.

The first couple times it woke me up and freaked me out. I would lay there in bed, wondering what the hell was going on, and if the world was coming to an end. After about 30 minutes of hearing it and going over the possibilities in my head, I went outside, expecting to see some kind of experimental air force jet hovering above my house, but the sky was clear and the rumbling seemed to come from the ground.

I used to hear it only once in a while and figured it was a heavy train, or a giant truck caravan or something. But recently it has been increasing in frequency, duration, and severity. I hear it almost on a weekly basis, and always at night. At first it would wake me up and freak me out, living in earthquake country has taught me to always be ready for the big one, and from watching too many movies I always think for a second it could be a tsunami racing towards my home.

It freaks out my new puppy, but then again she hides when she hears the trash truck coming down the street

Ive told people about it, thinking there has to be some simple explanation, but no one has offered any, and now most of them are paying attention and report hearing it as well.

Everyone wonders if it is some type of excavating/tunneling going on beneath our feet.

Some say its the tectonic plates just slowly sliding and relieving pressure.

Yo no se

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join