It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle says no to Israeli war crimes advertisement.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+66 more 
posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Some of us have heard about a group in Seattle who were approved to put signs speaking out against Israeli war crimes on Seattle metro vehicles. It appears that they have turned around and changed their policy which no longer will allow this.

Here is the link to a Seattle news outlet that explains the new developments.

seattletimes.nwsource.com

The "Israeli war crimes" ad at the center of a national controversy was on display briefly Friday — but not on the side of a Metro Transit bus. Members of the Seattle Mideast Awareness Campaign, some with their mouths taped shut, stood in front of the King County Administration Building in downtown Seattle holding one of the bus-sized placards while television cameras rolled. Muslim, Jewish and Christian representatives argued that King County was violating their rights by refusing to allow the ads on buses. "You can't deny freedom of speech simply because of loud complaints by those who oppose that speech," said attorney Neil Fox, who described himself as Jewish and a member of the National Lawyers Guild. The group stopped short of saying it will sue, but organizer Edward Mast said the group is consulting with attorneys and the American Civil Liberties Union. "We're hoping King County will reverse the decision," he said. "It's disturbing that the county has given in to those who want to stop free speech with intimidation tactics." Metro Transit initially accepted the ads, which decry U.S. funding of "Israeli war crimes" and show Palestinian children amid the rubble of bombed buildings. But Metro officials changed their minds and rejected the ads after being bombarded with objections, including those from several Jewish organizations that feared the ads might incite anti-Semitic violence. Pro-Israel groups had proposed counter ads featuring "Palestinian war crimes," and opposing "Islamic Jihad." King County Executive Dow Constantine said he was concerned the controversy would lead to disruption of bus service. Mast countered: "They have demonstrated no credible claim of safety hazard." Frank Abe, spokesman for Constantine, said the Seattle Mideast Awareness Campaign has many outlets for exercising free speech, including the purchase of ad space elsewhere. "It's been claimed the decision to rescind acceptance of the ad is due to public pressure," he wrote in an e-mail. "It is not." advertising Metro's policies restrict material that can lead to harm or disrupt public transit, Abe said. "This proposed ad did not originally fit that definition, but now falls within it because of the global firestorm over the ad." Among the thousands of comments county officials received are some that "raise genuine concern for the functioning and safety of the transit system," Abe said, particularly the possibility of vandalism or protests that disrupt service. The goal of the ad was to raise awareness of the plight of Palestinians, on the second anniversary of Israel's assault on Gaza, Mast said. "We're trying to draw attention to the misspending of our tax dollars, supporting war crimes overseas" he said. Palestinian Nada Elia said the ad is critical of foreign policy, not Jewish people. "This is not hate speech," she said. "We will not be shut up. We will keep speaking out." The group plans a vigil and protest at the south end of Westlake Park at 5 p.m. Monday to mark the military action in Gaza.

I remember there were some mixed reactions on the other thread by wcitizen... abovetopsecret.com... but the overall view was that this was a good a good way to get the message across.

The people who opposed this ad called it "hate speech"... we should have seen it coming, some of the posters on the other thread even said that they think that the decision will be reversed because of pressure from the Israeli war crime supporters. I hate to say it but they were right, I should have known better myself but I was overjoyed by the news of these advertisements going up.

This group certainly made a good effort and I thank them for at least trying... back to the drawing board

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The article also says that certain groups who opposed the advertisements would put up counter ads if King County allowed the advertisements to go on the buses. They were going to put up signs saying ... "Palestinian war crimes," and opposing "Islamic Jihad.

I say they should have let them do this, let the citizens of Seattle make their own minds which sign is promoting the proper message.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I'd love the oppourtunity to illustrate the death and murder caused by jihad.
The bombing of innocents, the indiscriminate bombing by Hamas into Israel, please let us illustrate how the "religion of peace is killing people on a daily basis.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I'd love the oppourtunity to illustrate the death and murder caused by jihad. The bombing of innocents, the indiscriminate bombing by Hamas into Israel, please let us illustrate how the "religion of peace is killing people on a daily basis.

Leave it to you to label a whole religion as Jihadists due to a few fanatics who use their Religion to disguise their hate and evil. That would be the same as labeling all Jews as Zionist terrorists, it simply does not work that way. I would appreciate if you keep your bigotry out of my thread.

Hamas was elected by the citizens of Gaza and were only defending themselves against the Israeli assault. There is no proof that the small home made rockets fired into Israel were fired by Hamas. You really need to think before you submit next time

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Leave it to you to label a whole religion as Jihadists due to a few fanatics who use their Religion to disguise their hate and evil. That would be the same as labeling all Jews as Zionist terrorists, it simply does not work that way. I would appreciate if you keep your bigotry out of my thread.

Regardless of whether or not they actually engage in Islamist bombings, Jihad is codified into their cult, therefore, they are all Jihadists.

Hamas was elected by the citizens of Gaza and were only defending themselves against the Israeli assault. There is no proof that the small home made rockets fired into Israel were fired by Hamas. You really need to think before you submit next time

Hamas, Hezbollah and the PLO are terrorist organisations illegally occupying a number of regions in Israel. They fired first, sparking a conflict which was fought with extreme leniency by the wonderful men and women of the IDF, by rights, Israel could and should have absolutely flattened both the West Bank and Gaza, not only ending the terrorist cells there, but allowing Israel to have the land back.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Is your full time job an apologist?
Sorry Captain Issue, why not pour your self another hot cup of Angry.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Hahaha

Regardless of whether or not they actually engage in Islamist bombings, Jihad is codified into their cult, therefore, they are all Jihadists.

^ That is wrong... Islam is a peaceful religion, I have never met a violent Muslim, I have met plenty of violent Christians though, just saying.

Hamas, Hezbollah and the PLO are terrorist organisations illegally occupying a number of regions in Israel. They fired first, sparking a conflict which was fought with extreme leniency by the wonderful men and women of the IDF, by rights, Israel could and should have absolutely flattened both the West Bank and Gaza, not only ending the terrorist cells there, but allowing Israel to have the land back.

^ That is also wrong.. It has been proven that Israel broke the cease fire leading to the last Gaza conflict. The BBC even reported this. Feel free to do a search on here or on the regular internet.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Is your full time job an apologist? Sorry Captain Issue, why not pour your self another hot cup of Angry.

I am not really angry, just disappointed that the King County officials did not allow this sign to go up. I am also disappointed that propaganda spreading individuals that support Israeli war crimes frequent ATS. I would figure that people who come to a site like this would be a bit more understanding and open minded to the truth.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

You'venever met a violent jhiadist?????

Try living in MY shoes for one day skippy, I like the muslim folks that aren't shooting, IED'ing me

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

What truth?
Your apologist propoganda or what is actually happening there?
-bah-
Merry Christmas to you anyway.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You'venever met a violent jhiadist????? Try living in MY shoes for one day skippy, I like the muslim folks that aren't shooting, IED'ing me

^ Nice try Mr Troll... I said I have never met a violent Muslim, I never anything about ever meeting a Jihadist. Perhaps you should learn how to read before you incorrectly criticize my statements.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

^ That is wrong... Islam is a peaceful religion, I have never met a violent Muslim, I have met plenty of violent Christians though, just saying.

You've...never met a violent Muslim...? It's not like they blow themselves up every 5 minutes or anything. Actually, in November 2010, there were 144 Islamist bombings over 5 different countries, leaving 609 people dead and 1252 people critically injured. Peaceful religion my ass, they are a barbaric cult of evil.

^ That is also wrong.. It has been proven that Israel broke the cease fire leading to the last Gaza conflict. The BBC even reported this. Feel free to do a search on here or on the regular internet.

The real problem I'm having here is why Israel even entered "cease fires" and "peace deals" with these dangerous animals. Whilst they continue to elect rulers who seek the destruction of the State of Israel, the entire populations of these occupied areas are legitimate targets. I see no reason why Israel hasn't simply annihilated these terrorists.

edit on 12-25-2010 by Springer because: removed cultural epithet

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Talmudist animal is no better than the jihadist..

Second line

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hahaha

You've...never met a violent raghead...? It's not like they blow themselves up every 5 minutes or anything. Actually, in November 2010, there were 144 Islamist bombings over 5 different countries, leaving 609 people dead and 1252 people critically injured. Peaceful religion my ass, they are a barbaric cult of evil.

The real problem I'm having here is why Israel even entered "cease fires" and "peace deals" with these dangerous animals. Whilst they continue to elect rulers who seek the destruction of the State of Israel, the entire populations of these occupied areas are legitimate targets. I see no reason why Israel hasn't simply annihilated these terrorists.

WOW- that post has just proved what an ignorant racist you are. Referring to Muslims as "ragheads"?..very nice..

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Thank you for your input so far everyone. The point of this thread was to spread the news that the King County officials decided not to allow the Israeli war crimes sign on Metro buses. It seems that it has become a religious discussion now. Israel is a country, not a religion so I am not speaking against Jews. Gaza is a country/state, I am not speaking about Islam. We can turn this into race and religion but the fact is that Israeli war crimes keep happening and go unpunished and when North Americans try to expose these crimes we get silenced by our elected officials. I am sure there are plenty of good people of all races and religion on this planet so let us please try to not label a whole group of people due to a few fanatics within that group.
edit on 25-12-2010 by Corruption Exposed because: spelling

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hahaha

None of our business. That whole region is less than the area of Nebraska. They're more blood related than all of us here in the states. If we can get along, so should they. Let them kill each other off.
edit on 26-12-2010 by gallopinghordes because: to remove cultural epithat and censor circumvention.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by clameater

None of our business. That whole region is less than the area of Nebraska. They're more blood related than all of us here in the states. If we can get along, so should they. . Let them kill each other off.

Hey, sorry to pee on your parade, for educational purposes the whole Muslim world is much larger than the state of Nebraska. Have you ever looked at a map? Guessing by your post, I am guessing the whole concept of maps may be beyond your comprehension

Once again we are going off topic though, oh well...
edit on 25-12-2010 by Corruption Exposed because: grammar

edit on 26-12-2010 by gallopinghordes because: to remove edited quote.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
makes me wonder how this would have played out if instead of bringing attention to crimes caused by I$rael, the ads were about the people killed by Sadaam or the serbs killed in Bosnia etc. I'm sure we'd be seeing a double-standard in action

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join