It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana County Throwing Man off His Own Property For Living in Camper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This sort of thing infuriates me.This guys just wants to be left alone and bureaucratic dictators want to tell him how to live!
A man living on his own property must be evicted just because he has no plumbing and electricity?Don't they have more important things to do than bully this guy?

WISH TV news in Indiana told More..the tale of Dick Thompson, a 72-year-old man living on his own 38-acre property in Madison County. Thompson lives on the property with several horses, a dog, and a bird. He resides in an old camper that has no sewer and no electricity. “I’m a country boy,” explains Thompson. “I just want to be left alone.” The County claims that Thompson is “breaking ordinances and laws” because he refuses to get sewer service or electric hooked up. This is why the county has decided he is a criminal. The county has harassed Mr. Thompson with multiple court dates, threatening letters, and claims of fines and court actions. In fact, the courts told him he’d be evicted on Nov. 30 of this year. Thompson waited for officials to come on the 30th, but none did. Obviously the county knows it is in a pickle with this outrageous harassment. They were probably hoping that their thug tactics would just make Thompson go away or force him to spend thousands of dollars in an attempt to comply with their demands. But the man is not bothering anyone. He is safe. He is not causing any neighbor any problems. And further more, the 38-acre plot is HIS land!

www.liveleak.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
This is exactly the reason why Reagan said that government is not the solution, government is the problem. Leave the man alone, you bunch of do-gooders. Man lived without electricity or sewer for what? a hundred thousand years?
Another thing is if you pay off your land, there needs to be an end at some point to the taxes on that land, this bs tax due every year forever needs to quit, so someone could live off the land at some point. Whatever.

LIMITED GOVERNMENT!! theres a solution.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by rbnhd76

I'm glad you brought up the land tax thing.It seems to me you never really pay off your land if you pay taxes till the day you die.The government still owns it and you.
You would think with the whole climate change debate the government would be all about getting off the grid but I suppose less people on the grid = less cash in their coffers.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I'm surprised not more ATS'ers are concerned with civil liberty's.This story is riddled with government oppression and conspiracy.They all must be on that cleavage in the work place thread.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by flyingfish

Well..there was/is a thread on this already..i think it came out 3 weeks ago.

thread here
edit on 24-12-2010 by baddmove because: changed date..

edit on 24-12-2010 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Missed that one my search terms did not come up with that thread.
Thanks for link.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Yes when I lived in the US this year I was aghast that each year, despite a family having paid off their property, they STILL had to pay a 'tax' on it!?

In the UK they call it 'council tax' but I figured that the US had it 'free' once a property was paid off.
How wrong I was!

Living in a vehicle is the way forward imo, no taxes and only fuel and running costs to worry about.
I hate the sick disease of government want to enslave a people by fixing them down and bleeding them white.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I had the same thing happen to me on a heavily wooded 10 acre tract I own in North Florida. I lost my job and house in 2008 so I hooked up my travel trailer and headed to my land. The trailer has all the luxuries of home, TV, DVD, radio, refrigerator, shower, toilet , bed, and hot water heater. Power was supplied by a 5000 watt generator pulling diesel from a 55 gal drum. I was no bum, I had about $11,000 from the sale of my boat and household items. I funneled waste into half a 55 gal drum and sterilized it by burning every few days. Everything was going along fine, probably because my land is in the middle of no where. But unfortunately a sheriffs deputy patrolling on the highway spotted smoke from my fire pit and investigated. I produced the title for the land as soon as he asked for it, and eventually he left. Two weeks later an army of deputies and county officials showed up while I was tilling an acre to plant watermelons, they ordered me to leave immediately. I was told that without county sewer and electrical connections I could only stay on my land for 2 weeks every year as a camper or hunter. Even one of the county guys said the ordnance was wrong, but he also said if I was there when he came back the next day he'd issue a $250 ticket, and then jail was mentioned, so I left the next morning for my brothers place. We've been there twice since on camping trips, and both times the sheriff showed up. Which means they're patrolling the dirt road in front of my property every day, and like I said, its in the middle of no where.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The notion of privat eproperty is a founding principle of this nation. Ergo, destrying the notion of private property is essential is they are to progress with their agenda of enslaving all of us and indefinitely suspending our freedoms. Tyranny knows no bounds. If is time to take up arms and take back that which is rightly ours - our liberty and our freedom!

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Man Getting Evicted from Land for living "to simply"
Right and I was many of the ATSers who took a stance, joined the medias site and spoke out against this travesty of justice. We do care, it is just that an update on the case should have been posted in the OP.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Bear1

Well, I am just floored by the non sensical nature of this new law. People have been living on their land since day one here in america. There must be some idea that they can take your land if it is not developed. Interesting, so if you had water and such hooked up but not in use due to inability to pay the bill, I wonder if this works the same way? Is this a conspiracy to boot folks off after SHTF scenario, bank collapse and such?

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Well well, what a surprise, you can't live on your own land and be left alone to be free. If the property taxes weren't enough to ensure that you would lose your land eventually if you weren't a good little slave who stays in their system, now you will lose it even sooner to local scum because you refuse to play the game.

This is total BS and indeed we are not a free nation or people. I however will NOT be ever forced off my land for any reason if I own it outright. If they come to remove me and I have not harmed anyone by my actions, they better come packing because I will not be leaving quietly.

I'm so sick of this sh!t...

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I was pulling fresh spring water from a deep well on the property. All bases were covered, fresh water, electricity, waste treatment. I was bothering no one, because there's no one to bother. Local governments all over the US have become little fiefdoms ruled by tax leaches that can't stand the thought of anyone not paying maximum taxes and fees. They know full well that their ordnances will force the landowner to pay them for extremely expensive sewer permits , well permits, building permits, electricity permits, final inspections, and environmental impact fees. I checked it all out, there is no way I can afford it, I can barely pay their property taxes.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Here are the email addresses of the County Council where this is happening:

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Source

Please write to them and tell them how you feel about this.
edit on 27-12-2010 by craig732 because: (no reason given)

join