It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2011

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Is anyone still monitoring Katla? Seems like its warming up for a Biggie...

Iceland's feared Katla volcano shows further signs of eruption

One of Iceland's largest volcanoes Katla is showing increased signs of activity as observers today reported an increase in the strength of tell-tale earth tremors.

A swarm of earthquakes struck the 9-mile wide volcano, a week after geophysicists warned of an “imminent danger” of an eruption on the island.

The volcano is capable of producing four times the ash of Iceland’s last eruption in May.

Observers believe ‘unusual’ magma movement deep beneath Katla could signal the early stages of activity that could lead to a huge explosion – the depth of the latest earthquakes, that lasted for 5-and-half hours yesterday, was said to be 3.5km beneath the ground.

The earthquake activity around Katla has now been steadily gaining strength over the past five weeks.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

wow thanks for posting this.

im watching out for Aug 2nd thats my prediction LOL its just for fun.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Yep,
keeping an eye on that one for a couple of weeks now.
There seems to be some activity but till now the tremor charts don't show anything unusual.

The problem with those Icelandic Volcanos is that the moment the clearly show signs to erupt and the moment they erupt is very short. Sometimes there aren't even any signs at all.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Nidwin

The problem with those Icelandic Volcanos is that the moment the clearly show signs to erupt and the moment they erupt is very short. Sometimes there aren't even any signs at all.

That really only applies to Hekla. The others all show signs.

I note that Kalta has finished stamping her foot. Grims looks interesting however with rapid inflation or rather movement mainly on the North and East channels, but showing some uplift on the Z (Vertical)

I don't think she has finished yet!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Better add this one too the list:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
Better add this one too the list:

"---------------------

update,,,,,,,,,in case anyone is actually watching the volano watch site,,,
Krakatau

"On July 31, 2011, a wispy ash plume rose above the volcano and drifted west. The natural-colour satellite image was acquired by the Advanced Land Imager (ALI) aboard Earth Observing-1 (EO-1). Dark gray areas of Anak Krakatau are composed principally of lava flows deposited in the 1970s, ’80s, and ’90s. These flows are topped by a young cinder cone near the center of the island. Green vegetation covers older lavas along the eastern coastline. NASA image by Jesse Allen and Robert Simmon, using data from the Advanced Land Imager (ALI) aboard the Earth Observing-1 (EO-1) satellite."

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Oh OK...should my thread about Krakatoa from here
www.abovetopsecret.com...
be moved to the general Volcano thread then?
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Kīlauea Volcano acting up a bit.

Panorama of West Puʻu ʻŌʻō, Kīlauea

New lava flow breaks out on Kilauea's east rift zone HAWAI'I ISLAND, Hawaii - At 2:05 p.m., HST, this afternoon, the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory (HVO) monitoring network detected the onset of rapid deflation of the Pu'u 'O'o crater floor. Soon thereafter, at 2:20 p.m., lava broke out at the base of the west flank of the Pu'u 'O'o cone. According to Jim Kauahikaua, HVO's Scientist-in-Charge, the breakout points are 0.7 km (0.4 mi) east of the eastern end of the Kamaoamoa fissure that erupted earlier this year, in March 2011, or about half way between Pu'u 'O'o Crater and the eastern end of the Kamomoa fissure. "Interestingly, as the crater floor deflated, lava in the perched lake within Pu'u 'O'o Crater continued to circulate, just as it had over the past several weeks," Kauahikaua noted, "but, by 3:15 p.m., the crater floor and lava lake began to collapse." HVO scientists at the eruption site reported a branched lava flow moving down Kilauea's south flank. The weaker northwest arm was pushing into kipuka and forest, while the higher volume, larger south arm had advanced at least 3 km (1.8 mi) downslope as of 3:50 p.m. The lava flow is entirely within Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park and poses no hazard to residents at this time.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
2.0 right on hekla volcano iceland.....

en.vedur.is...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Echoseven

Crater floor colapsed last night

www.hawaii247.com...

Rainbows
jane

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

What can we expect after a collapse ? Will that plug it up now for the foreseeable ?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by slidingdoor

Too early to tell at the moment, but that is usual, and then the whole round of events starts all over again!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Some information pre-collapse that I had gathered.
The collapse happens every now and then. Its a normal but interesting process.

I missed it. I stopped watching it a day before the collapse.
Life got busy.

Also interesting to note how my thread got ignored when people realized it wasn't a OH MY GOD DOOM AND GLOOM END OF THE WORLD VOLCANO thread.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

“18 Indonesian volcanoes on alert status/Jakarta Post”

www.thejakartapost.com...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Yes, very interesting. Merapi has moved to “Waspada” (Level 2) Hope that doesn't go again.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

MArapi is in Indonesia, MErapi is in Sumatra.

bigthink.com...

Rainbows
Jane

edit on 7-8-2011 by angelchemuel because: Forgot link sorry!

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

And it is MErapi that I was talking about.
For those who might have lost the links. Visual Merapi Kamera G. Merapi is up-to-date, showing just a haze of smoke.
edit on 7-8-2011 by Tzavros because: Added links

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

OK this is going to get confusing....you were replying to my post about the Indonesian volcanoes which includes Marapi, although not stated/mentioned in Jakarta Post specifically...I'll go away and look again....OK maybe this will help from Smithsonian

MARAPI Sumatra (Indonesia) 0.381°S, 100.473°E; summit elev. 2891 m

CVGHM reported increased seismicity from Marapi during 21 June-3 August. Observers noted that during June and July white plumes rose 15-75 m above the summit craters. On 1 August white plumes rose 15 m above the main crater; fog prevented observations the next day. On 3 August dense gray plumes rose 300-1,000 m above the crater on eight occasions. That same day CVGHM raised the Alert Level to 2 (on a scale of 1-4). Visitors and residents were prohibited from going within a 3-km radius of the summit.

Geologic Summary. Gunung Marapi, not to be confused with the better known Merapi volcano on Java,is Sumatra's most active volcano. Marapi is a massive complex stratovolcano that rises 2,000 m above the Bukittinggi plain in Sumatra's Padang Highlands. A broad summit contains multiple partially overlapping summit craters constructed within the small 1.4-km-wide Bancah caldera. The summit craters are located along an ENE-WSW line, along which volcanism has migrated to the W. More than 50 eruptions, typically consisting of small-to-moderate explosive activity, have been recorded since the end of the 18th century; no historical lava flows outside the summit craters have been reported.

Rainbows
jane

edit on 7-8-2011 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-8-2011 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Interesting and very active - both.
Ganung means 'Mountain'. Merapi/Marapi means 'Fire'.
Unlike in the Western world, you often find the same place name in many locations of Asia; depend only on the local people's language.

One is on Sumatra the other is on Java.
Both Sumatra and Java are islands of/in Indonesia, separated by less than 25km of sea.
Between them? The Child of Krakatao.

Big eruption expected 'soon' from Karymsky on Kamchatka, Russia.

edit on 7/8/2011 by Aromaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Karangatang, Indonesia erupts

Here is the link to EDIS

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Rainbows
Jane

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join