It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legalize Drunk Driving

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
this is stupid.. people talk about the debate not flaming.. I really don't care who you know that died.. its a good thing.. less people = good.. and I'm sorry you people want to beat the hell out of some one that thinks different than you do.. If I was their in your b.s dream and have to have some one really strong pull you off of him.. it only takes 7lbs to break a humans neck.. didn't have a problem over seas and wouldn't have a problem now.

more on point.. I see were he is coming from and I would agree that the cost to some lost people who don't matter in the grand plan don't matter.. there missed for a few than forgotten in the long run. grow up people.. people died doesn't matter how or why.. its a good thing..

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

Consider the fact that you're accusing him of saying it's okay to drink and drive, when in-fact, he did not say such a thing.

What he's doing is reinforcing the fact that driving impairment, i.e. reckless endangerment, is the real problem. It has nothing to do with driving under the influence from alcohol. A lot of people drive drunk, and don't even drive recklessly or cause harm to others. It's completely unavoidable and you can't stop it. If a cop spends his time looking for trouble where there is none, then valuable time is wasted when they should be looking for real reckless drivers and those that are going to cause harm.

I have some problems with simply "abolishing" it, but I do say it needs serious revision. It has become nothing more than invasive search & seizure protocol.
edit on 17-12-2010 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
cars are 100s of times safer than they were if some twat steps in my way sober or not theyre gonna die drink driving is not wrong driving while trashed is wrong too many statistics are bent to include alcohol when someone is 5 mg over the limit are they evil and wrong or just made a mistake like murder drink driving has degrees enjoy your christmas pud thatll put you over most limits

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reaper2137
this is stupid.. people talk about the debate not flaming.. I really don't care who you know that died.. its a good thing.. less people = good.. and I'm sorry you people want to beat the hell out of some one that thinks different than you do.. If I was their in your b.s dream and have to have some one really strong pull you off of him.. it only takes 7lbs to break a humans neck.. didn't have a problem over seas and wouldn't have a problem now.

more on point.. I see were he is coming from and I would agree that the cost to some lost people who don't matter in the grand plan don't matter.. there missed for a few than forgotten in the long run. grow up people.. people died doesn't matter how or why.. its a good thing..

Now that was a really stupid statement. Yeah, there should be more debate and less flaming, but saying people dying is good, regardless of how you may view overpopulation, is just disrespectful.

Back on topic, OP, you say that we should increase penalties for those who do damage or cause harm to others while driving drunk by calling it murder with intent. With that logic, should driving drunk also not be considered conspiracy to commit felony murder?

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
calling driving drunk "not a crime, and nothing at all" is the same thing as "ok". Thousands die every year. Its not nothing.
Walking across the street is nothing at all.
Driving drunk is a selfish act and it endangers those you share the road with.
edit on 17-12-2010 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

This makes the assumption that DUI laws actually prevent a large number of people from driving drunk.

They do not.

This to me sounds similar to those who say that all drugs should be legalised and society would be better,I`d say usually its said by people who use drugs for recreation.

But if you have proof to your opinion/quote above please show it,because as I see the laws they work as a deterent and I`d go so far as to say they are not hard enough in the punishment for idiots that gamble with other people lives while intoxicated by whatever booze drugs or medication.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
your point? in the grand plan it is nothing.. and no one cares.. I honestly don't I agree you should be able to drive drunk.. don't hit any one or any thing and make it home score.. and the cost of it is too much its failed in its purpose. but it goes on.. not because it makes life easy or better but because It makes money.. of a few people.. who pay way way to much.. kill some one pay 150 bucks.. go to jail for 3 mos and get on with it. a human life is worth nothing.. no more than the dog who gets hit on the street...

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by gps777

Originally posted by mnemeth1

This makes the assumption that DUI laws actually prevent a large number of people from driving drunk.

They do not.

This to me sounds similar to those who say that all drugs should be legalised and society would be better,I`d say usually its said by people who use drugs for recreation.

But if you have proof to your opinion/quote above please show it,because as I see the laws they work as a deterent and I`d go so far as to say they are not hard enough in the punishment for idiots that gamble with other people lives while intoxicated by whatever booze drugs or medication.

The laws absolutely do act a a deterent. I can't prove it anymore than the above can prove it doesn't.
I can only attest for myself. I have a DWI and I can say that being arrested for it sucks big time. I can also say that it taught me a lesson because I had never given much thought to killing someone prior to my arrest. I am ashamed that I used to drive intoxicated. I grew up. Some do not, but there are those who actually reflect on the laws and realize why they are in place. None of my friends drive drunk. Whether it's because of the law of morality I cannot say, but the laws have to deter some people from doing it.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   

fair play for honesty but if you wernt caught would you have continued??

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
so you got a dui and now you really learned your lesson? I don't think so your a good little sheep, who tows the party line.. that is until you get of probation lol.. I really don't see a problem with drinking and driving.. no one important is hurt. furthermore.. when you prove to me that a human is more important than any other animal that gets ran over.. I might change my mind.. until then I think red asphalt was a great movie hella funny

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

your point? in the grand plan it is nothing.. and no one cares.. I honestly don't I agree you should be able to drive drunk.. don't hit any one or any thing and make it home score.. and the cost of it is too much its failed in its purpose. but it goes on.. not because it makes life easy or better but because It makes money.. of a few people.. who pay way way to much.. kill some one pay 150 bucks.. go to jail for 3 mos and get on with it. a human life is worth nothing.. no more than the dog who gets hit on the street...

That's the point I think you were going for originally, you just stated it in a more direct, albeit maybe disrespectful way. This I can agree with. People actually do put a dollar sign on lives, unfortunately. But should we? I mean yeah, the laws are really only making money for the government and doing nothing to prevent the crime. Is that reason enough to abolish the laws? I don't think so.

I think we need to look at a complete overhaul of the whole system, from the point where alcohol is sold to when the driver finally gets out of the car and walks into his/her home. There are some really intelligent people on here, many more than you'll find in any government agency. I think deterrence should be the number one priority, and laws aren't doing it. I've mentioned one of my ideas, anyone else have any good ideas for deterrence?

*Edit.
I misread your post, I believe. I don't think a human life is worth nothing. Far from it. Though, an animal's life should be viewed as just as important as a human's. All life should be cherished.
edit on 17-12-2010 by nwdogg1982 because: misread quote

edit on 17-12-2010 by nwdogg1982 because: grammar

link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Not too sure about Drunk driving laws being lifted.
Though I have heard some better arguments.

My feelings are more mixed regarding DUI checkpoints.Those are close to unconstitutional.

They were ruled unconstitutional by the Michigan supreme court but the big boys overturned that ruling.

"The Constitution of the United States clearly says that police can't just stop someone and conduct an investigation unless there are "articulable facts" indicating possible criminal activity. So how can they do exactly that with drunk driving roadblocks? Good question. And it was raised in the case of Michigan v. Sitz, in which the Michigan Supreme Court striking down DUI roadblocks as unconstitutional. In a 6-3 decision, however, the U.S. Supreme Court reversed the Michigan court, holding that they were constitutionally permissible.

Chief Justice Rehnquist began his majority opinion by admitting that DUI sobriety checkpoints do, in fact, constitute a "seizure" within the language of the Fourth Amendment. In other words, yes, it appears to be a blatant violation of the Constitution. However, he continued, it's only a little one, and something has to be done about the "carnage" on the highways caused by drunk drivers. The "minimal intrusion on individual liberties," Rehnquist wrote, must be "weighed" against the need for -- and effectiveness of -- DUI roadblocks. In other words, the ends justify the means."

Only a "little" violation.

www.thenewspaper.com...

link   

a human life is worth nothing.. no more than the dog who gets hit on the street...

I agree...its like, we keep talking about soldiers dying over in the middle east...its like, dude, who cares..these were nobody..useless dimwits trying to get a free ride off society. the uniform is actually a big sign saying "useless dog"...we send them over to get put down, and suddenly they demand everyone supposed to care, as if that wasn't why we sent him there to begin with.

Soldiers are the very definition of worthless humans...else we wouldn't send them over...they would have gotten an education and a real job instead of trying to suck military benefits off of real tax payers. less people = good..and a bloodier war = great.

You won me over dude. Hoorah

Add/edit: I expect this post to be removed...but keep in mind, I only reworded what was written...be fair in moderation...1 nifty warn flag pleask. ktks
edit on 17-12-2010 by SaturnFX because: flame

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I agree with you and good work for realizing your mistake. A family friend of mine's boyfriend hasn't learned his lesson and is a high functioning alcoholic. Who thankfully lost his license. It's made it a lot harder for him to drive (he still does), and has done jail time. And you know what it does save people the less drunks on the road the less likely someone is going to get killed.

OP Too many people die because of drunk drivers every year you hear horrible stories especially around the holidays, last year a drunk driver, who had is first DUI was driving and killed a mother and her 6 month old baby. Those lives could have been saved from harsher drinking laws. Legalizing it will cause more deaths, and you know it. And this maybe rude but, your and Arrogant SOB if you think otherwise.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
A poster made an excellent point earlier. Why is it legal to drink yet illegal to drive drunk? Since drinking admittedly impairs ones decision it doesn't make a lot of sense to punish one for making a bad decision while becoming legally impaired. Maybe congress can pony up a couple hundred trillion to build high speed rail to all the bars in the country and solve the problem.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by HoldTheBeans
A poster made an excellent point earlier. Why is it legal to drink yet illegal to drive drunk? Since drinking admittedly impairs ones decision it doesn't make a lot of sense to punish one for making a bad decision while becoming legally impaired. Maybe congress can pony up a couple hundred trillion to build high speed rail to all the bars in the country and solve the problem.

Or maybe people can call a taxi, or plan on a designated driver beforehand?

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I can't believe there are those on this thread that think life is not valuable - I hope your speaking of your worthless self as well. Its a crime to endanger other people - dim wits!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Where I live all bars are responsible by law to ensure their patrons do not drive drunk. If the person drives drunk and is caught the bar faces a possible suspension, warning, or loss of their license. The one driving drunk also receives a punishment based on prior record and level of intoxication.
edit on 17-12-2010 by Xiamara because: For got to add driver info

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by nwdogg1982

That's the point I think you were going for originally, you just stated it in a more direct, albeit maybe disrespectful way. This I can agree with. People actually do put a dollar sign on lives, unfortunately. But should we? I mean yeah, the laws are really only making money for the government and doing nothing to prevent the crime. Is that reason enough to abolish the laws? I don't think so.

I think we need to look at a complete overhaul of the whole system, from the point where alcohol is sold to when the driver finally gets out of the car and walks into his/her home. There are some really intelligent people on here, many more than you'll find in any government agency. I think deterrence should be the number one priority, and laws aren't doing it. I've mentioned one of my ideas, anyone else have any good ideas for deterrence?

I am an old solider.. I've seen a lot of death and destruction.. so it doesn't faze me any more.. I view humans as animals. no better, no worse. there would be a lot of ways to solve the problem from legalizing it to another failed banning all together.. I don't see one way working more or less.. people forget that humans don't really care they will still do it even if there was a hanging for them at the end of the day.

I don't think you would see a drop at all.. and bottom lines.. while humans say they care.. the majority of them do not.. I'm just honest sorry I sound disrespectful to you. I just call it how I see it. and at times that can be a bad or a good thing.

One the one hand if a drunk driver is a good driver and doesn't hurt or kill any thing. I don't think he did any thing wrong.. I don't drive and drink or drink and drive lol. but I have not on the streets mind you.. I have a rather large plot of land and go four wheeling.. like to see the cops stop me. lol.. they would get shot..

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
The best way to stop drinking and driving is to act against it.

In the case of a friend who wants to drive home drunk from anywhere:

1. Take their keys.
2. Call a cab. Call a sober friend. Call their parents.
3. Put them to bed. In a bed, on a couch, or on the linoleum floor in the kitchen.

Doing these things can be hard, they can tear friendships apart.
Not doing these things and getting a phone call later is harder.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join