It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard Research Study: Marijuana Cuts Tumor Growth by 50%!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Yet ANOTHER study confirming the powerful medicinal properties of marijuana and THC.

How much would you want to bet that this will get next to no coverage whatsoever in any of the major media outlets, or be paid the least attention to by gov officials?

And if so, the alcohol and tobacco corporations and their lobbies will quickly crush it! lol!

The active ingredient in marijuana cuts tumor growth in common lung cancer in half and significantly reduces the ability of the cancer to spread, say researchers at Harvard University who tested the chemical in both lab and mouse studies.

They say this is the first set of experiments to show that the compound, Delta-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), inhibits EGF-induced growth and migration in epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) expressing non-small cell lung cancer cell lines. Lung cancers that over-express EGFR are usually highly aggressive and resistant to chemotherapy.

THC that targets cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2 is similar in function to endocannabinoids, which are cannabinoids that are naturally produced in the body and activate these receptors. The researchers suggest that THC or other designer agents that activate these receptors might be used in a targeted fashion to treat lung cancer.

"The beauty of this study is that we are showing that a substance of abuse, if used prudently, may offer a new road to therapy against lung cancer," said Anju Preet, Ph.D., a researcher in the Division of Experimental Medicine.

Full Article:

preventdisease.com...

edit on 6-12-2010 by DimensionalDetective because: Fixed link

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Yup, the cure for cancer has been known for quite some time. Anyone who dies from it these days simply isn't aware.

Good to see another study proving it, and by the reputable Harvard.

There's a reason so many tobacco smokers develop lung cancer but no one has ever developed lung cancer as a result of only smoking cannabis.

edit on 6-12-2010 by Azp420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Why does this thread only have one reply and so few stars/flags?

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I am curious about one thing.
How is the THC ingested?
By smoking or just pills?

Either way, there are so many things that make marijuana more useful than either alcohol or tobacco.
Yet it's still considered an 'illegal' substance.

Makes you wonder what is the reasoning behind it.

If a gov't needs money, one would think they would jump on the wagon and sell it.
Legally.

At least it would have a tax revenue.
And I'm not even a proponent of more taxes.

Good find!

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I wish threads like this were allowed to be treated seriously in the main forums.

Originally posted by havok
I am curious about one thing.
How is the THC ingested?
By smoking or just pills?

Most of the medical sites I've looked at discuss/demonstrate eating in, and how to prepare it as a food/ingredient.

Practically anything can be made with it, and people like that a lot more than popping pills, and some people just don't enjoy smoking...

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Makes you wonder what is the reasoning behind it.

If a gov't needs money, one would think they would jump on the wagon and sell it.
Legally.

The alcohol and pharma industries are the biggest lobbyists trying to keep it illegal. They even produce and fund "public service" propaganda touting the "dangers" of cannabis use. The system is corrupt. Politicians need to serve their own selfish best interests by looking after the companies that fund their election campaigns.

The government would not be able to make much from taxing it (they would get much more from the taxes collected from the pharma/alcohol industry). After all the medicinal properties of the plant became common public knowledge there would be huge outcry if people had to pay excessive taxes on their medicine which grows in the ground and should be their right to grow themselves. There would be outcry if some demographics were unable to afford this life saving medicine. Even the very poorest should be able to have access to an easily grown plant which could save their life. It would be inhumane to have people die because they couldn't afford to pay the tax.

If growing were legal I can't imagine anyone who would pay anywhere near the kind of tax which is slapped onto alcohol. Even if people didn't want to grow themselves, a lot of the black market which already exists would remain to provide a cheaper alternative to an excessive tax.

It would be a comedy if it weren't so tragic (the war on drugs kills many people).

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I'm sorry to replicate Buzz Killington, here...but if it were used under closely controlled supervision for medicinal purposes, then yes! Get this stuff out there and help save lives. But I think if it were so easily accessible for anyone who might be sick, would they try and get more than they needed? Would they become addicted? And would they quickly use what they had for a quick rush? I am not involved with that 'substance' so you'll have to excuse my lack of knoweledge towards it, and those are just what popped into my head right off the bat. Also, I understand people couldn't just claim to be sick, really...for cancer, you'd need to go through testing and such but in either case - thank you for sharing this with us.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Marijuana creates no physical dependency. You can not become physically addicted to it.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

How much would you want to bet that this will get next to no coverage whatsoever in any of the major media outlets, or be paid the least attention to by gov officials?

And if so, the alcohol and tobacco corporations and their lobbies will quickly crush it! lol!

edit on 6-12-2010 by DimensionalDetective because: Fixed link

you didn't even get that much attention on ATS

but really nice find there , S&F for you , but the question is how am I gona get Marijuana in my country

probably will never find it here
, i might look for some seed sellers on the web and risk my life , or just forget it.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
In 2007 I was diagnosed with a malignant Glioblastoma multiforme Brain tumour and came across quite a lot of information regarding Marijuana and Brain tumours, so much so that i contacted a spanish researcher who was carrying out tests on my specific tumour with THC.

Researchers in Spain have discovered that a cannabis extract makes brain tumors shrink by halting the growth of blood vessels that supply the tumors with life. Cannabis has chemicals called cannabinoids, these are the chemicals that could effectively starve tumors to death, say the researchers.

The study was carried out at the Complutense University, Madrid, Spain.

The team used mice to demonstrate that the cannabinoids block vessel growth.

You can read about this latest research in the journal Cancer Research.

Apparently, the procedure is also effective in humans.

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by philosearcher

But I think if it were so easily accessible for anyone who might be sick, would they try and get more than they needed?

Even if they did I cannot see any negative effects from this to either the patient or society. I can see no benefits to making it difficult to access for anyone who might be sick. Even if patients substituted it for recreational alcohol use, that would be a positive effect on the individual and society (considering the incredible damage alcohol does to both).

And would they quickly use what they had for a quick rush?

From what I understand, the quicker you can consume it (usually by oral ingestion), the more effectively it can fight the tumors. This can be achieved without getting high, but if someone wants to experience the high, why should that be considered a bad thing? There is also no risk of overdose as it is physically impossible to OD on cannabis.

reply to post by woodwardjnr

Here is also a collection of links to cancer research involving cannabis.

Cannabis & Cancer - The Science

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Don't forget too that the more cannabis one smokes, the high gets less and less, the dosage must be spaced out by a couple hours or two. It's like it comes with anti-buse built right in.

And to the other poster that mentioned all that stuff about overtaxation on it, that people will all grow their own to not have to pay taxes, annnnnnd...that the black market thugs will undercut the taxes and all that, just think alcohol.
Yeah some alcohol gets traded illegally.
Some people brew their own, but most people buy the taxahol.
Alcohol is heavily taxed (at least in Canada) and we still buy it.
12 pack of cans of beer $20-24.00
Pint of Vodka, about $14.00

The likka sto is always busy too.

The smilies made that WAY more funny, didn't they!
edit on 27-12-2010 by Toadmund because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

It depends how reasonable the taxes are. Alcohol is very difficult and time consuming to produce at home and end up with something that tastes as good as what can be bought. While the same could be said about cannabis by a skilled grower or connoisseur, most wouldn't be that fussed about it as long as they started with a decent strain. As most of the skill is to increase potency, having an unlimited personal supply growing makes up for this. I'm sure casual users would just pay the tax, but no daily user who doesn't have a lot of money to spare is going to sink very much of his income on something he could almost just as easily acquire for free. (The difference with alcohol is that most people are casual users, using everyday indicates alcoholism, this difference is due to the addictive nature of alcohol vs the nonaddictive nature of cannabis, as well as its medicinal benefits).

In my opinion it would be like vegetables. If the government suddenly decided to put heavy and unreasonable taxes on vegetables that regular consumption of vegetables became a major household expense, the majority of people who are struggling to make ends meet would be all but forced to grow their own. There would also be major public outcry at this extremely unethical tax due to the nutritional value of vegetables being common knowledge. Alcohol has very little medicinal value and causes great cost to individuals and society so the heavy taxes slapped on it are somewhat justified. If cannabis became a common cancer cure then the public would want it subsidized rather than unfairly taxed, to ensure not one human being diagnosed with cancer dies because they cannot afford a simple plant that grows in the ground in nearly any climate or soil conditions.

IMHO the government would lose much more money from the decrease in taxes they collect from alcohol and pharmaceutical companies than what they gain from a cannabis tax. With government and private sector both standing to lose money, this is the reason cannabis remains mostly illegal. Money makes the world go round. There is no other logical reason for cannabis to remain illegal.

that the black market thugs will undercut the taxes and all that

I wouldn't describe those who are brave enough to defy unjust laws and help others in need with mutually beneficial transactions as thugs, IMO heroes is more fitting. The world would be a much worse place without them.

The likka sto is always busy too.

The smilies made that WAY more funny, didn't they!

They certainly did.

The Starbucks is always busy too, people gotta get their drugs.

edit on 27-12-2010 by Azp420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Good to hear of another productive study on Marijuana. I do hope Dr.'s pay attention to these reports in their journals - they are the hope for the future in using marijuana in medicine!

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
Good to hear of another productive study on Marijuana. I do hope Dr.'s pay attention to these reports in their journals - they are the hope for the future in using marijuana in medicine!

Doctors are under great pressure to follow the party line.

I asked my Doc why doctors did not speak out on the problem of MSG, and his reply was that they would get criticized. The same goes for all the other poisons in our food.
My doctor and many others work for HMO's and they don't want to lose their jobs.
If they get too Progressive they get raided by the ATF or the FDA or whoever.....
Look at the history of such people. Hoxey, Rife and who all else.
It is illegal to cure people by any other than "approved" methods.

200 years from now our current medical proceedures will be look upon as heinous.
Slash, burn, poison, cut it off, cut it out, anything but fix it.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I took care of a recovering Leukemia patient that had a stem cell transplant a couple of years ago. He was having severe side effects from chemo and radiation, traditional medicine was not helping - his Dr off the books told him to try marijuana. He did, it helped and his appetite returned helping him recover. I hope the day comes when doctors can speak out on the benefits of marijuana in medicine. Mods I am speaking of medical uses here, please don't delete my post or ban me.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I think this makes a very compelling argument for 'preventative usage'.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Tharsis

I think this makes a very compelling argument for 'preventative usage'.

As an added bonus it will also be helping to prevent Alzheimer's disease.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.sciencedaily.com...

www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Azp420

Not to mention, helping against the symptoms of swine flu.
www.examiner.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join