It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are 30% of Young Americans Mentally Sick? Is it mostly a lack of Christianity i.e. “Family Val

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Apparently a survey involving some 68,000 Americans, by the “2009 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Mental Health Findings” found 20% of Americans suffer mental health issues, which is 30% of 18 to 25 year old's, and merely 13.7% of those aged 50 plus.
WTF: Isn’t mental illness supposed to increase with age (as the brain wares down) not increase with youth (even though the divorce-unmarried rate has rocketed)?

Christian info Source: www.thetrumpet.com...
Non Christian info sources: www.dailypaul.com...
www.dailymail.co.uk...
www.msnbc.msn.com...

I'm sure a lack of Christianity (in the form of centuries tested, family values) isn’t the only cause. More than ever the national curriculum discourages individuality by forcing people to learn things in great depth, regardless of their individuality (or what they’re future job is likely to be). Mass marketing, poor diet, endless use of computers (and drug marketing) is all bound to have effects too.
But whatever the case, is it not fair to say that a mentally ill young, is part of the price of progressive, liberal values, selfishism & atheism?

At least a church provides a source of Free community, whilst the nearest source of community for others is some kind of commercial enterprise. E.g. a nightclub piling alcohol, and encouraging ever more personal debt. The next source is something like Facebook, which always leaves you feeling slightly lonely, as (so far) it's just not as good, as real intereaction.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
A micture of things, but mostly the ptb are making humans weak in there minds.

Its a process that has lasted along time. Also thngs like mobiles must play a massive part.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984

At least a church provides a source of Free community, whilst the nearest source of community for others is some kind of commercial enterprise. E.g. a nightclub piling alcohol, and encouraging ever more personal debt. The next source is something like Facebook, which always leaves you feeling slightly lonely, as (so far) it's just not as good, as real intereaction.

Personal testimony here:

Got drunk the first time at a Church youth function.
Learned to segregate people at Church.
Was encouraged to judge others at Church.

I understand the point about 'free' community however it is not free. Members tithe 10% of their to the Church. Keep in mind that both the Catholic and US Evangelical corporations are the most powerful commercial incorporated entities in the world today.

Jesus explained that 'we' are the Church and IMO the Church does more damage than good. This makes perfect sense considering the fact that it is made of people and people have ruined everything on this planet.

I continue to walk with the Lord in my life and home but cannot buy in to the organizations claiming to be Christian in this world.

The brand Christian is the modern day pharisee and they hold sway over the modern day roman.

Peace

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Christianity, ie moral values?!

A lack of morals is likely to be a contributing factor, but a lack of Christianity? I see no reason to think this is the case.

Another thing to consider in those statistics you provided is that a lot of mentally ill patients from past generations may have passed before reaching old age. I do, however, agree with the notion that mental illness is on the rise.
edit on 5-12-2010 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Its probably because we over medicate. Instead of treating things naturally we automatically prescribe something. Religion has nothing to do with it. I have OCD which is a mental disorder that makes me compulsively organize and have certain issues with irrational stimuli, like I can't stand to be touched, or I can't stand hearing some one eat so much so that I will go into a fit. I have no belief in god but my father did and he had OCD just like me, and my entire family because its a genetic mutation.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
One might argue that not only are young Americans "mentally sick," but much of the youth today is afflicted by a conflict between various values which they don't necessarily subscribe to. It might not be a mental sickness, but rather an automatic response to a mentally unstable society.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
why do British and Canadian men sit around thinking more about other peoples country than their very own ? I have noticed a pattern here I guess and might even start my own thread.

why are 36% of Japanese men mentally sick ? is it because of the same reason... surely you would be more interested in that since the numbers are higher.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Apparently a survey involving some 68,000 Americans, by the “2009 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Mental Health Findings” found 20% of Americans suffer mental health issues, which is 30% of 18 to 25 year old's, and merely 13.7% of those aged 50 plus.

Why would you even take this 'survey' seriously?

What exactly is a 'mental health issue'? I assume most of these so-called issues are just social non-conformity, in which case, let's hope mental illness increases.

Christianity along with other organised religions has been the most effective brain washing technique in history, that's real mental illness.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Fact is Christainity has ways of holding couples together for the benerfit of the children. It is surprissing how much a love of the children, can over power their hatred of each other. Then when the children are all grown up, and leaving home, often the couple decides they love & will need each other, in old age, too much!!!

Of course some churches can be guilty of bad things (evangelical cults in particular!!) but for the most part, most churches seem to preach good relationship advice, something to look forward to you when you die, and other idea like needing a rest, at least one day, in the week. They teach you should fear sin, whilst atheism enables you to merely fear accountability for sin.
After all this; then you have the other community-social benefits they provide.

Recently I went to church (after many years of not attending) and was surprised how much I missed it. I can well understand how it could benefit other young people, similar to me.
For all the talk of paedophiles, and evilgenital brainwashing, the fact is a prime reason why it gets attention is because its rare. I certainly grew up going to Church loads of times, and non of the people I went with have blamed it for feeling suicidal, or other life problems.
But I know one person who was at least (partly) blaming, feeling suicidal, on the internet (and therefore having no real life friends). Of course maybe without the internet they would already be dead? But I doubt this one. Certainly a church tends to be full of caring, morally guided, good fearing people, whilst the same is just not true of almost all other communities.

I am sure that if more young people went to church, they would resemble the older generation more, and in good-ways, responsible for them lacking mental illness. I do accept not all churches are good, but believe the vast majority provide a useful social-councilling service (for the young, bereaved, old & ill).
edit on 090705 by Liberal1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Quite the opposite. So much of our depression and anxiety comes from the insistence of your dominant heroes that everything we think and feel and do is wrong and intolerable. We're constantly intimidated by "family values."

Your point about community is a valid one, but the solution isn't to make church stronger -- the solution is to create more secular community centers. Coffee shops, reading rooms, parks. Places where people can, and are encouraged to, hang out and meet each other. After school programs that aren't stupid will work well for those in public schools; community events which aren't lame for college aged folk and adults.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Originally posted by Solasis

So much of our depression and anxiety comes from the insistence of your dominant heroes that everything we think and feel and do is wrong and intolerable. We're constantly intimidated by "family values."

Is there any REAL research to support this statement?
The only time (I know) where family values, seem to consistently cause more harm than good, is with homosexuals. And still, that’s only like 10% of the population (and I reckon most gays would need thick skins, even in a 100% atheist society). After all it’s not a love of the bible, but more a fear of oneself, that usually drives the worst types homophobia (Christianity can just be a “useful excuse”).
My attitude is Christian attitudes towards homosexuality is changing, and will advance more given time.

the solution is to create more secular community centers. Coffee shops, reading rooms, parks. Places where people can, and are encouraged to, hang out and meet each other.

Aren’t these places like parks often wrecked by the criminal underclass, that even a hundred years ago, barely even understood what a church was?

I think what your saying may work for people with money in their pockets, but its just another area of the market the capitalist system is very willing to fulfil without state intervention. Church’s pay for themselves, often using the money-donations of the dead. Because they are voluntary they are more efficient than both Capitalist and State run organisations.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SkyBluePegasus

Worrying about money can be included as a mental health issue. I think life itself is a 'mental health issue'. How many are alive and sick of what their choices provided for them? That can cause an issue or two.

A church may bring you closer to people who want to believe the same as you. It can't change society as a whole. Too bad they don't agree on things. Too many different religions, and they do basically agree with each other, but they aren't allowed to. Control is more important. Meditate on that.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
It's an interesting read but without seeing the actual report, there are more questions than answers.

The percentages appear far to high to me. I suspect that the research is survey based rather than clinical in nature. I would be weary about using these articles to make any real conclusions.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I only speak for myself and mine....
We're pagan, not Christian, hold socially liberal ideas but financially we are pretty conservative.
Our family values seem to be pretty 'tight.'

We don't get up and get dressed on Sunday morning to prance down to the little church in the dell then come home and eat pot roast.

My husband and I are married - we lived together a year and a day then got official. We did get divorced but were both still so committed to our kids and each other that didn't last long, so we remarried. Never known my husband to cheat. I don't cheat. He works. I stay home. We garden and care for the animals and house and one child. We homeschool. Try to live as green as we can. Cook at home. Stay at home usually, it's a good place.

I think running after money is more problematic no matter what your religion is. It's certainly stressful when there's enough, but always trying to live any life because you think it is proper (when you don't feel it in your heart) or always putting money first or material things, or trying to focus on things like youth & beauty and fashion to the point of self destructive vanity, running after some 'ideal' you that mirrors what you see xyz do on TV....road to misery, IMO.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Fact is Christainity has ways of holding couples together for the benerfit of the children. It is surprissing how much a love of the children, can over power their hatred of each other. Then when the children are all grown up, and leaving home, often the couple decides they love & will need each other, in old age, too much!!!

Fool, this has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity. It is human nature, regardless of whatever your very human pastor told you.

Of course some churches can be guilty of bad things (evangelical cults in particular!!)

And here I was thinking Hitler was Catholic. And Westboro Baptist was protestant. Looks like you don't know what you're talking about... but what else should I expect when a "Christian" starts arguing about... well... pretty much anything.

but for the most part, most churches seem to preach good relationship advice,

Yes, like "don't sleep with who you love if you don't meet your pastor's regurgitated Judean moral standards
from the book of leviticus which was compeltely overridden by Jesus -- whose only 2 messages are:

1. Judge not for the only true judge is your Father in Heaven.

2. Love the Lord your God with all of your heart.

Also, no condoms. god loves overpopulation and STDs because procreation is natural.

Sex is only acceptable in the missionary position.

Sex is only acceptable after marriage. You can only be free to do things with your body if our institution says so.

something to look forward to you when you die,

If you're one of the holy ones that go around zealously judging people and hypocritically touting your loyalty to Christ in the process.

and other idea like needing a rest, at least one day, in the week.

Atheists gave us 2 days.

They teach you should fear sin, whilst atheism enables you to merely fear accountability for sin.

If you need a book to tell you what is wrong and right, you are mentally ill. Atheists are often more Christ-like than "Christians". But I guess you know everything about atheists... because you aren't one
. (Are you sure you aren't American?
)

After all this; then you have the other community-social benefits they provide.

Which is....? Segregation? Apartheid? Woops, you don't know what your talking about. Shouldn't your kind be out clubbing Muslims by now?

Recently I went to church (after many years of not attending) and was surprised how much I missed it. I can well understand how it could benefit other young people, similar to me.

Church; an institution for people who refuse to think for themselves and read their own books and take what they will from them. They must have a pastor pick and choose which parts of the Bible you're supposed to believe in based on his personal judgmental tendencies.

For all the talk of paedophiles, and evilgenital brainwashing, the fact is a prime reason why it gets attention is because its rare.

So rare that we hear about it at least once a week in this country... But I guess you know what you're talking about... Pastor Joe told you so. What was that about brainwashing?

I certainly grew up going to Church loads of times, and non of the people I went with have blamed it for feeling suicidal, or other life problems.

Are you serious? People don't go around talking to everyone in their Church about their suicidal tendencies! Suicide rates among homosexuals are 190% larger than that of heterosexuals. surely this has nothing to do with segregatory practices from the "Christians". Preforming Jesus' will like they say they are, right?

Certainly a church tends to be full of caring, morally guided, good fearing people, whilst the same is just not true of almost all other communities.

Source? Guess you don't know what you're talking about again.

Seriously, your crusade to divide people and tout your faith above all others is nothing short of sociopathic.

I am sure that if more young people went to church, they would resemble the older generation more, and in good-ways, responsible for them lacking mental illness.

YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO FORCE YOUR RELIGION ON ANYONE. ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO CANNOT CHOOSE NOT TO PARTICIPATE! ASK JESUS! SERIOUSLY YOU PEOPLE ARE INSANE! HOOK 'EM YOUNG HOOK EM FOR LIFE, RIGHT?

I do accept not all churches are good, but believe the vast majority provide a useful social-councilling service (for the young, bereaved, old & ill).

People don't need pipe dreams. They need the truth. Unfortunately the pseudo-"Christians" think the truth is the selective babbling that the pastor regurgitates in front of a congregation, whilst leaving out any message in the Bible that does not suit his personal moral standards. They are told to be sheep, and they do a great job of following the herd. That way, they don't have to think for themselves. That's too hard

"Christians"

Seriously, stop babbling online and go read the Bible for your first time if you're going to tell everyone that you mould your life around it. I have personally read the book three times and three different version and I have yet to meet any "Christian" as depicted by Jesus in the New Testament.

Surely this creates mental strength?

Seriously, just stop.

edit on 5-12-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

??Why are 30% of Young Americans Mentally Sick? Is it mostly a lack of Christianity????

HELL NO!! I mean this....HELL NO!!!

Since WHEN has "America" dictated the opinion of this entire planet???

Really....as an American, born here, raised here....BUT also having traveled the world....I take umbrage at being "stereotyped".

Yes, as a recent ATS thread "alleged" (still need to check the figures)...MANY Americans have never travelled abroad. As few as "20%" own passports, according to the ATS thread I am thinking of....and, YES!! That is sad, if true....however, with DHS rules that are coning into place, more and more US citizens will be getting passports.

Doesn't mean they'll travel, of course. MANY will remain as ignorant as they were since being born....the circumstances they were born into...JUST AS IT WORKS for the rest of Humanity!!!! Country boundaries do NOT DICTATE ability of the populace to understand. It is called "interaction", or 'learning'....something that is, sadly, lacking on many cultures........

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

I'm not sure that best way to cure a mentally ill person is to tell them that there is an invisible sky person watching their every move, judging them and then deciding if they are going to spend eternity burning in a fiery pit

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I'd say it's a combination of problems. First off, there is the problem of overdiagnosis being caused by people receiving mental health treatment from their GPs. The mental health industry still has a large stigma surrounding it and as such people refuse to admit they have a problem and see going to a psychologist/psychiatrist as admitting defeat. This further compounds the issue because a younger person can be dragged to a doctor by their parents, whereas the parent may completely ignore their own problems.

Then there is the generational gap. The parents came of age in a time when there was a great deal of emphasis on humanism, while the modern world is very materialistic. I've also noticed that the modern generation is very similar to that of the Beats. They don't really have a voice or any great cause to rally around and distinguish themselves. Their parents had things like fighting in Vietnam, protesting Vietnam, the San Francisco scene, as well as new forms of music that captured the essence of the time, and the emergence of post-modern writing gave them a voice that was distinctly their own. While the current generation has a war it is not an all-encompassing aspect of life like Vietnam was. While it's unpopular, it's not so unpopular as to inspire wide scale protest. And the music and writing from the current generation are simply variations of what their parents' generation did. As a whole, the generation is lost and a lack of what they perceive as any real meaning in their lives is producing depression and anxiety.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Weedwhacker
Excuse me but where am I advocating that America dictate the planets opinions? And where am I stereotyping Americans in a way that offends you? (Quotes please!). It’s good you travel abroad; just hope you didn’t travel into space when formulating your last reply!!!

Davespanners
You may not be sure. But the fact the older (God fearing) generation, has less than half the rate of mental illness, is a sure indication, we’ve stopped doing something right...

Given one of the biggest changes has been (the MSM pushed) decline in community & religion, and given our version of religion (superior over say Islam) has filled important social needs for hundreds of years, maybe it is more significant than you think.
If Christianity was all about driving the fear of hell into people, then I can understand why it might harm a mental person. However for the most part is about teaching how god-Jesus love you, for leading Christian lives. That life is anti: Drugs, anti gluttony, anti selfishness (and other things). I'm not saying all Christians are good people, anyone who says that is wrong. But I will say most Christians would be more amoral (in their lives-actions) if it were not for Christianity.
Just look at criminals, just how many times do street thugs-burglars really believe in God. I spoke to a policeman about it once, and they thought most people they arrested with agonistic.

I know you don’t want to see a link, but unfortunately any links there are, are part of reality, and it's costing society dear. Certainly without religion there would a lot less help for the vulnerable & poor.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I cannot think of a more toxic environment than the average church. We area notionally Xtian country so the values are around us. There is no need to immerse yourself in church to get the gist of the message. I would explain the insanity statistics on drugs, modern culture ( a lack of critical thought) and drug and booze culture.

My 2cts

PS new diagnostic frameworks have also added to the definition of psychology as opposed to people being eccentric.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join