It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can China Invade Taiwan?

page: 86
<< 83  84  85    87  88  89 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Wow, I never imagined that this topic would get to 1700. I wonder if it is time to shut it down????

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Well just like the role I requested, I‘m lurking in the shadows observing

Also devil how many subs in your opinion do we need to stop the Chinese from invading?

Several, definately more than those stationed there..
I'm guessing mabye 5 or 6...

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Wow, I never imagined that this topic would get to 1700. I wonder if it is time to shut it down????

Nah, it's a good topic though it has being hijacked on numerous occasions.

If you shut it down, u2u me first, so i can set up a new one and get all the points!!

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Fleet defenses

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Eh?! FredT got banned? What did he do? I'm going to miss him...

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Lets see, the PLAAF and PLAN have several hundred fighrers stationed just on the south side of china....One F-14 aint going to be able to waste 20 Mig29's or J-8's...

PLAAF does not use MiG-29s. The USAF is retiring the F-14.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taishyou
PLAAF does not use MiG-29s. The USAF is retiring the F-14.

The US is retireing the F-14 but it still is in use..
The mig-29 comment was made as an example if you wish me to be totally correct then I will say
" one F-14/18 cant take down 20 J-8/J-11/SU-27/SU-30 fighter planes to name a few"

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
FredT got banned?!

What happened?

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by gooseuk
FredT got banned?!

What happened?

Who is FredT?

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
He's not banned, if he was you'd not see his name there. It would have gone to (Banned Member)?

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Several, definately more than those stationed there..
I'm guessing mabye 5 or 6...

The U.S. has 58 Attacks subs you dont think that's enough to patrol the pacific and Atlantic while sending 5 or 6 as you put it to defend Taiwan? And why did FredT get banned?

[edit on 1-4-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   

The U.S. has 58 Attacks subs you on think that's enough to patrol the pacific and Atlantic while sending 5 or 6 as you put it to Taiwan?

Not all 58 are on deployment or even offshore, only 10 subs are on deployment, another 16 are away from home port...

And why did FredT get banned?

An april fools joke along with every mod!

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Where are those 16 going to? and Devil again I must ask how do you know how many subs we have on deployment? Not to mention that 10 Deployed, 16 floating around somewhere, then where are the other 32 subs? Don't tell me they are all anchored to port.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Where are those 16 going to?

Worlds a big place....oceans are big...

and Devil again I must ask how do you know how many subs we have on deployment?

Oh just a little known site...www.navy.mil...

Not to mention that 10 Deployed, 16 floating around somewhere, then where are the other 32 subs? Don't tell me they are all anchored to port.

Sorry I have misread the information, I thought it was "31% of submarine force" underway and another "20% of submarine force" BUT I think its actually only 31% away from port and 10 of those 16 submarines are on deployment...one wonders what the US does with the other 42

[edit on 26/02/2005 by devilwasp]

[edit on 26/02/2005 by devilwasp]

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by gooseuk
FredT got banned?!

What happened?

Im back, I used my points to buy a parole

AT anyrate, as I maintained two subs would be enough to disrupt things. Not sink the entire PLAN mind you but damage enough of the invasion force that the Taiwanese would have an easier time with them.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 03:24 AM
link   

AT anyrate, as I maintained two subs would be enough to disrupt things. Not sink the entire PLAN mind you but damage enough of the invasion force that the Taiwanese would have an easier time with them.

From reports i've read, the invasion force would be heavily tilted in favour of paratroopers with naval/missile supression etc.

Also, can subs actually travel in the Taiwan Straight, i would've thought any subs in those straits are like sitting ducks, whether PLAN, USN or otherwise.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 03:50 AM
link   
From what I understand the staright is at a resonable depth and tracking subs in Littoral waters is not as easy as it sounds.

Paratroopers would no doubt face alot of resistance even after being softened up by waves of cruise missiles. Also, if any part of the Taiwanese SAM system or aircraft were still intact as airborn assult would be in real trouble. Does China posses the airlift needed?

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Not only the crusie missiles softening up the landing zones but the chinese would most likely use a multi point attack so as to confuse the taiwanese.
Atleast 6 to 10 subs would be needed to effectively cordon off taiwan as 3 or 4 subs can't evade to PLAN subs after launching 10-12 torpedoes each for very long. Also the type of USN subs operating would also matter greatly!
The Taiwanese supposedly have a multi tier defense stategy such that they conceed some territory so that they have stronger defence behind them. I have no proof of this but this is a rumor going around.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 04:12 AM
link   

From what I understand the staright is at a resonable depth and tracking subs in Littoral waters is not as easy as it sounds.

Paratroopers would no doubt face alot of resistance even after being softened up by waves of cruise missiles. Also, if any part of the Taiwanese SAM system or aircraft were still intact as airborn assult would be in real trouble. Does China posses the airlift needed?

Yeah, the big question is airlift, China has headaches in that area, China really wants the Hercules to drop tanks.

But China has being working on some Ukranian designs, or even buying some. But the Ukranian things are kind of subject to politics now i would guess.

With its unique transport capabilities and the high performance, the An-124 will provide China with the strategic airlift capabilities it does not possess currently. The PLAAF currently operates fourteen IL-76MD military transport aircraft, each of which can carry 140 troops or 125 paratroops. The An-124 can carry 448 troops or 268 paratroops, or 16 pallets of cargos for airdrops, each weighting up to 4.5 tonnes, outperforming any strategic transport aircraft in service with the Western air forces.

Heavy Lift Aircraft - Sinodefence

Originally posted by IAF101
The Taiwanese supposedly have a multi tier defense stategy such that they conceed some territory so that they have stronger defence behind them. I have no proof of this but this is a rumor going around.

That's a historical way to defend Taiwan.

1) Dutch vs Ming, Dutch retreated back to cities, ended up surrendering.

2) Ming remnants used it against Qing, ceded all lands cept the big Taipei island, still lost though.

3) Qing vs French, ceded (burned) the coal mines after boarding British merchant vessels to cross the French Blockade. The French retreated cause they needed the mines to fuel the expedition into China.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   
The Taiwan Invasion scenario is a no win for China I think. the islands is pretty well armed. If they get thier hands of the Aegis system and plenty of PAC-3's they can have a decent SRBM defense. Digging them out of thier entrenched positions will be tough.

No I predicate this on China wanting to take the island somewhat intact. if they simply want to burn it down to the bedrock then there is not alot that can be done IMHO.

Even the US would be hard pressed to get enough troops onto the island to effectively gain control without suffering a huge amount of casualties. They may take the island but it would be at such a high cost it may effectively weaken them long term

<< 83  84  85    87  88  89 >>

join