It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA promises spaceship that can "travel between alien worlds", in next few years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
This is alot bigger news that that crap they announced yesterday.
They say they will utilize electro-magnetic propulsion.
Here's a Piece:

A SENIOR NASA official has promised to deliver a spaceship that will travel between alien worlds “within a few years”.

Speaking at a conference in San Francisco on Saturday, NASA Ames director Simon Worden said his division had started a project with Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency called the “Hundred Year Starship”.

The project was kicked off recently with $1 million funding from DARPA and $100K from NASA and hopes to utilise new propulsion ideas being explored by NASA.

Star Trek fans, prepare to get excited – electric propulsion is here, according to Mr Worden.

“Anybody that watches the (Star Trek) Enterprise, you know you don’t see huge plumes of fire,” he said.

“Within a few years we will see the first true prototype of a spaceship that will take us between worlds.”

Source

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
This is like a month old and there are a heap of threads about it already.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's just a couple.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

I see.....

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Very interesting, although should this really be in the Aliens and UFOs forum, as it deals with neither aliens or UFOs?

It's cool to think that we could be inhabiting the moons of Mars within my lifetime though. I'll see if I've got a spare $10 billion handy and we're home free!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
The “Hundred Year Starship”...?!!!?

I wonder why they are calling it that because usually it doesn't take them near that long to steal technology.
This one must have been harder won than the old fashioned way.

ah, I'm just messin with the good ol' dod.
I'm anxious to see this and knew nothing about it.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
As if... NASA could ever build the Star Trek Enterprise!

If they can't build an anti-gravity flying saucer... then they will never build the warp-drive Enterprise. And electromagnetic drive is NOT warp-drive.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I'd believe NASA on this 'promise' if they instead said to the world , "We'll promise to not edit anymore photographs, and actually tell the truth about what we have seen and what we see tomorrow out in space", before I beleive anything else they say.
Sorry but thats my opinion.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaosMagician

You seem to think you know a lot about anti-gravity, warp-drives, and electromagnetic drives.
Please if you know something NASA doesn't, enlighten us

Or are you just assuming everyone is as clueless as you are
- do you know what they are doing inside area 51, Dulce, or Pine Gap?

I don't

BTW this is the first I have heard about The Hundred Year space ship even possibly being ready in our lifetime, the other threads had good info as well but DIFFERENT info... maybe we shouldn't all jump down the OP's throat just because you read something similar elsewhere.
Remember this site is expanding fast, meaning a lot of new members and even more new threads. Unlike the old days searching isn't always that successful. Be patient with people, they may have missed something you didn't, even better yet, they might just have something to add and are wanting to bring a dead thread back to life.

ETA: ATLien.... Outkast is the Sh***
props for the dope name

GummB
edit on 17-11-2010 by GummB because: ETA

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ATLien
This is alot bigger news that that crap they announced yesterday.
They say they will utilize electro-magnetic propulsion.
Here's a Piece:

A SENIOR NASA official has promised to deliver a spaceship that will travel between alien worlds “within a few years”.

Speaking at a conference in San Francisco on Saturday, NASA Ames director Simon Worden said his division had started a project with Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency called the “Hundred Year Starship”.

“Within a few years we will see the first true prototype of a spaceship that will take us between worlds.”

Source

Well, this is just crap of another sort. This last sentence above is nothing more than a slight rephrasing of the words of star travelling ships that the Lockheed president uttered a few years ago (words frequently attributed to Ben Rich who headed the Skunk Works).

These "electromagnetic" machines are moving about our skies today and have since at least the 1980s. The mysterious triangles are not AIRcraft. They are not "flying" in the conventional sense of the word and can move into space with ease.

Note that Worden used the term "...between worlds." That is far short of star-crossing ships, but you get the idea. There should be a strong doubt in your mind that since the space shuttle is about to make its next to the last flight and absolutely NOTHING is in the works--so we are lead to believe--to replace it, then...what? Do we simply sit on our hands waiting for Lockheed to roll out this grand new type of ship or them to be called into play in some military conflict? Or should we suspect they are slowly opening the doors to these secret hangers where the triangles are kept.

(My remarks in part are based on a long interview I did with a witness of two huge, low and silent triangles witnessed by an ex-paratrooper and his son in 1985, and my personal close sighting of a similar craft in 1998.)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

The Space Shuttle is to be replaced by a 'heavy-lift rocket'. And for manned space flight... the Orion Capsule is to be used. The Orion Capsule (already developed) is launched atop a rocket, and lands by parachutes.

There is no intent by NASA, to ever acquire (or develop) anti-gravity technology from any source - black triangle, or otherwise.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by nik1halo
Very interesting, although should this really be in the Aliens and UFOs forum, as it deals with neither aliens or UFOs?

Well, in a way it deals with the subject Aliens, as the personel of the ship- if encountering an inhabited world- will be Aliens to that World and its inhabitants.
And if the inhabitants are primitive, the arrivers will more exactly become Ancient Astronauts.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ATLien

So, nowhere in the article the OP provided was there mention of electro magnetic propulsion. It mentions electric propulsion. Is there a difference?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Why does NASA need to build a new space ship? Their photoshopping of space seems successful enough.
Besides, our President made NASA's core duty right now to go to muslim countries and tell them they contributed greatly to science.

Nomore
Americans
Shallbe
Astronauts......

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Considering our luck it might end up being some kind of a freaky runaway ship like the one pictured in Pandorum www.imdb.com... with its only trip in transit to an unknown alien world where the human Elites will be traveling in order for saving their arses while leaving the scorched Earth behind and some G.Soros overlord captured in carbonite ala Han Solo in Star wars that wakes up mutated during transit from a computer error and eats everybody before the ship reaches it's final destination...

edit on 17-11-2010 by spacebot because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by GummB
reply to post by ChaosMagician

You seem to think you know a lot about anti-gravity, warp-drives, and electromagnetic drives.
Please if you know something NASA doesn't, enlighten us

Or are you just assuming everyone is as clueless as you are
- do you know what they are doing inside area 51, Dulce, or Pine Gap?

I don't

BTW this is the first I have heard about The Hundred Year space ship even possibly being ready in our lifetime, the other threads had good info as well but DIFFERENT info... maybe we shouldn't all jump down the OP's throat just because you read something similar elsewhere.
Remember this site is expanding fast, meaning a lot of new members and even more new threads. Unlike the old days searching isn't always that successful. Be patient with people, they may have missed something you didn't, even better yet, they might just have something to add and are wanting to bring a dead thread back to life.

ETA: ATLien.... Outkast is the Sh***
props for the dope name

GummB
edit on 17-11-2010 by GummB because: ETA

What? I'm not even sure where you are coming from with this.

I thought my reply would seem like an obvious joke regarding the name. It has absolutely nothing to do with the OP in itself. As I said, I had not heard about this and am anxious to see it... seriously. They may actually have something good up their sleeve.

I'm just saying that if they do, I wonder where they got their ideas from (and don't even pretend like their ideas are always original) and why they are calling the project that name. Don't you think that name is kind of humorous? I mean hell, rumor has it (we are still on ATS aren't we?) that they have been back engineering alien craft for decades. I can't help but to wonder how far they've gotten. Maybe they have gotten far and are using them to razzle dazzle us as of lately and just don't want to tell us, which is understandable for a while till we get wise to it as it becomes more common... but still... took them a while if they were able to do it...especially if any of that allaedged technology has helped them only recently. Just saying... and I do believe they have pinned themselves on purpose for a laugh by calling it the "Hundred Year Starship"... so I feel no harm is done at all by my comment and that it's all in good humor and jest.

"Hundred Year Starship"
... no seriously. I want to know where they got the name.
edit on 17-11-2010 by ChaosMagician because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Oh... and btw. I never said I knew jack about anti-gravity, warp-drives, and electromagnetic drives.

That is TOTALLY jumping to conclusions. I do know when something sounds funny though.
Try not to get those things confused.
edit on 17-11-2010 by ChaosMagician because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
it's still a SF

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I wouldn't be at all surprized to learn NASA already has such a craft, and are now looking for funding for another top secret project. Time travel perhaps? I'm inclined to believe Gary McKinnon who hacked a Pentagon computer system and as a result found information pertaining to "Non Terrestrial" ships and officers. Even under threat of deportation from England and more than likely spending the rest of his life in an American prison, he still stuck with his story.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bkrmn
I wouldn't be at all surprized to learn NASA already has such a craft, and are now looking for funding for another top secret project. Time travel perhaps? I'm inclined to believe Gary McKinnon who hacked a Pentagon computer system and as a result found information pertaining to "Non Terrestrial" ships and officers. Even under threat of deportation from England and more than likely spending the rest of his life in an American prison, he still stuck with his story.

It was "non-terrestrial" officers, not ships.

Which in the Navy, could mean officers assigned to units on ships, subs and aircraft.

Military documents tend to be fussily precise and jargonized.

edit on 17-11-2010 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
reply to post by ATLien

So, nowhere in the article the OP provided was there mention of electro magnetic propulsion. It mentions electric propulsion. Is there a difference?

Well, I don't see the OP answering your question, so...

I don't think there is a difference in this case. Because I think they are referring to the use of an ion-plasma rocket. Electrically charged atoms (ions) are accelerated into movement by use of electromagnetic fields, and then ejected from the ship to push it forward. Very slow acceleration, but can 'eventually' surpass the velocity of a chemical rocket propulsion. Still requires 100's of years to get to the nearest star system.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join