It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Working on "100 Year" Space ship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I am really surprised how far this head of the AMES research center went
L INK

A SENIOR NASA official has promised to deliver a spaceship that will travel between alien worlds "within a few years".
Speaking at a conference in San Francisco on Saturday, NASA Ames director Simon Worden said his division had started a project with Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency called the "Hundred Year Starship”.
The project was kicked off recently with $1 million funding from DARPA and $100K from NASA and hopes to utilise new propulsion ideas being explored by NASA.
Star Trek fans, prepare to get excited - electric propulsion is here, according to Mr Worden.
“Anybody that watches the (Star Trek) Enterprise, you know you don’t see huge plumes of fire," he said.
"Within a few years we will see the first true prototype of a spaceship that will take us between worlds.”

Read more: www.news.com.au... Dh9BSMW

It seems he went further than I would guess and there seems to be little funding ... alot of reasons to "pooh-pooh" it but it really is exciting!

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Landru

Hey mate, Sorry to burst your bubble, but there's already a thread started on this topic

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Cheers
Brady

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
i think if we didnt know about the b2 bomber till 25 years after, then they already have craft that can travel to other planets with ease, there probably out there right now mining on some mineral rich planet.
I mean this is just another way of letting it on us slowly that this kind of thing is possible, they think were bloody idiots. fuk em
your not told what your not supposed to know.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Well i for one would not volenteer for this one god speed no full throttle ahead no freakin way!

Hats off who ever gets in that thing.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by pkpuck

Anyone remember the movie "contact"? I think there was a really HIT IT ON THE MARK statement from the Hadden industries guy I forget his name, but anyway after the one time travel thingy was destroyed, he tells Jodie Foster who plays Eleanor Arroway there is another one, and says "why build one when you can build 2 for twice the price" ....... I think that may very well explain the amount of money they have spent!!!! or could be telling ???

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I told people twenty years ago that star trek tech would be a reality someday.

and now it is, I can't wait to see more. this is way cool !!

Peace

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Did anyone get info on what NASA's speaker was suggesting as far as the technology NASA and DARPA would use for interplanetary travel? If you can build something to fly at half the speed of light then I'm guessing it's plasma/Ion drive technology but that's pretty old stuff. Was he implying we have some kind of warp drive?

Thanks.

join