It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi Christians put to the sword

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Worship in Iraq is now more dangerous than under Saddam's dictatorship as Islamists bomb churches in a campaign of ethnic cleansing. Adrian Blomfield reports.

Iraqi Christians might not be able to boast such a heritage – though even if there is no way of proving their belief that the apostle Thomas brought the faith to Iraq in the first century AD, theirs is still one of the oldest Christian communities on earth. Yet after a series of attacks in the past month by Islamist extremists – whose creed is the parvenu of the monotheistic religions in the country – fears are mounting that Christianity in Iraq is doomed to follow Judaism into oblivion. At the end of last month, in the most ferocious attack on the community yet, Islamist extremists linked to al-Qaeda burst into Baghdad's Our Lady of Salvation Church during evening mass and took the congregation hostage. The gunmen began executing clergymen and worshippers before tossing a grenade into a safe-room where 60 parishioners had huddled to hide. As Iraqi forces stormed the church, the assassins surrounded themselves with children and detonated explosives secreted in suicide vests. By the time it was over, 52 Christians were dead. Blood smeared the walls of the church, body parts and scraps of seared flesh littered the pews. A policeman standing guard outside the church afterwards summed up the scene: "Blood, flesh and bones. You can't bear the smell."

the telegraph article

well, this is quite depressing. i keep telling myself things will eventually get better over there. you'd think i'd know better than this damn wishful thinking.

edit on 13-11-2010 by rubbertramp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
this isnt the first time such thing happened in iraq, as i remember correctly the shia'ah muslims were being slaughtered by extremist wahabis, then the sunni muslims got involved and it almost escalated into a civil war...

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
And people wonder why there is a growing anti-muslim feeling out there in the wider world. In this day and age that sort of behaviour is barbaric and unacceptable.

If true islam was followed this would not happen, but it is rife now in countries where anyone not muslim gets attacked and killed for what? Believing in the same God (it is the same God, by the way) in a different way? How messed up is that?

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

Shia Islam is the majority in Iraq.
Source

An estimated 60-65% of the population of Iraq consider themselves Shi'a Muslims. Many researchers, however, dispute this percentage. Recent research study in detail and city by city the population of Iraq and finds that Sunna in Iraq as at least 50%. Hence an independent census is needed to verify these figures

Wikipedia is really cool buddy!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel

Shia Islam is the majority in Iraq.
Source

An estimated 60-65% of the population of Iraq consider themselves Shi'a Muslims. Many researchers, however, dispute this percentage. Recent research study in detail and city by city the population of Iraq and finds that Sunna in Iraq as at least 50%. Hence an independent census is needed to verify these figures

Wikipedia is really cool buddy!

i'm an iraqi shia, whats you're point, buddy?

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3finjo
And people wonder why there is a growing anti-muslim feeling out there in the wider world. In this day and age that sort of behaviour is barbaric and unacceptable.

If true islam was followed this would not happen, but it is rife now in countries where anyone not muslim gets attacked and killed for what? Believing in the same God (it is the same God, by the way) in a different way? How messed up is that?

But...but...Islam is the religion of peace! They told me that in high school! They told me that in college, too. Barack Obama said it, and that they acted all mean and stuff sometimes because us americans were mean to them first!

They don't really cut peoples' hands and heads off do they, or cut womens' noses off for wanting to drive or learn to read? DO they? DO THEY?!!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MMPI2

Originally posted by 3finjo

But...but...Islam is the religion of peace! They told me that in high school! They told me that in college, too. Barack Obama said it, and that they acted all mean and stuff sometimes because us americans were mean to them first!

They don't really cut peoples' hands and heads off do they, or cut womens' noses off for wanting to drive or learn to read? DO they? DO THEY?!!

To answer you're question, they're not supposed to.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Just wanted to cite the sources. Seems everyone I see makes the Shias as minorities or illegal immigrants.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Just wanted to cite the sources. Seems everyone I see makes the Shias as minorities or illegal immigrants.

I didnt say they were the minorities, I just stated a fact.

its not the 1st time a group of people have been targeted in iraq.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Not you! Anyone else who will misjudge Iraq's religious populace.
I like to state the facts.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The religion of peace strikes again. Islam.

and most ppl defend them on this board.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

No religion is the religion is evil to me. Still I have respect everyone's beliefs in life.
I wish religion was outlawed.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

Yes, this is a very sobering report - to say the least. It must terrifying to be a Christian in Iraq.

Sadly, this is typical of the actions and attitudes of the Religion of Peace. Sickening...

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

No religion is the religion is evil to me. Still I have respect everyone's beliefs in life.
I wish religion was outlawed.

You have no other outlook than your own. This is the kind of thinking that held us back in spirituality for eons.
edit on 13-11-2010 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

That is the kind of thinking with science and human developmental in the Dark Ages.
Chew on that!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

That is the kind of thinking with science and human developmental in the Dark Ages.
Chew on that!

Do we not have a happy combination right now?

I am for technology and science, but if you believe 80% of human life should be spent staring at a cell phone is called human development than we honestly have somethings to discuss.

I love science. I am for it and I see much harmony between evolution and creationism. I believe in both at the same time.

But my main problem with modern technology is this.

The greatest technological advancement in my generation (the internet) is the greatest tool for your local pedophilia down the street.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Well it's where you look. I could care less about cell phones. The internet is old school. Advances in medical, military, computers and various other technical advancements is where it's at!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by squirelnutz

damn, nutz, we need to stop meeting like this.
ok, you were first this time, i believe that makes us even.
although i think my article contained more info.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
No Christianity is the Religion of peace. Most of America's soldiers are christians, and look at all the peace they've brought to Iraq.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join